820 Hyperstrada (was Hyper Explorer 796)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by avianello, Mar 4, 2012.

1. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Not sure why everyone thinks these, and the old hyper for that matter, are ugly. i love the looks of the old hm compared to my buddies smt, but i also like the looks of the old multi as well. to each there own i reckon. if i hadnt just put traxxion ak20 cartridges and a penske racing shock on my 620, i would be in the market for one of these. looks like the perfect bike for sharing lanes around town and light touring duty, and can certainly handle groomed dirt roads. seems like ducati has smoothed the power delivery, although you cant know until getting on one.
  2. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Has anyone read if this new engine still uses belts or chain drive for the cams?
  3. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Same style motor as the 1200 Multi isnt it :ear so belts........

The 1199 is the only one with chains but no where that I could find does it specify for certin.
  4. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:deal
  5. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Looky here what SW-Mototech has produced for us Hyper Drivers!!!

[​IMG]

Sending elections from my electron sending device....
  6. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Bump to see if anyone tried to fit a 19" on the front of the 796...
  7. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Took the Hyperstrada out and got it dirty!!

[​IMG]

Spent most of the day Saturday riding with COboy and had a great time creating some dirty Ducs!

We did about 30 miles on trail 717 west of Woodland Park, Colorado, at elevations near 9K feet. These trails are pseudo single tracks that the quad ATVs can play on so nothing technical or tight but lots of whoops and some decent hill climbs.

[​IMG]

The ground was mostly decomposed granite, which you see typically in this part of the country, with a few mud holes, creek crossings and roots thrown in for good measure, but no big rocks—which was a good thing.

The bike performed flawlessly, all things considered, the front suspension could be better, but considering it’s not really designed for whoop-de-dos, it was adequate just to slow down a bit.

Fueling was spot on, never a hiccup or sputter.

The bikes handle very easily in that type terrain and were very forgiving. Started in Touring mode then quickly switched to Urban with the traction off for more controlled wheel spin. I have TCK80s all around, which I’m very impressed with both on and off pavement, and they look particularly knarly in a 180 wide on the back of the Strada. According to COboy, they are particularly foreboding with roost!

[​IMG]

There were several dirt bikers out on the trail that day and we were very much the center of attention, having Ducatis out on the trial like that—including the comment that a Ducati with TCK80s had never been seen before!

http://youtu.be/w0xWeN7sdEE?t=43s
    ErGuss likes this.