Byron, IL Dual Sport Ride November 2nd

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by 2whlrcr, Oct 17, 2008.

1. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks Forest City! Great ride!

Highlights:
    - Corn husks flying off the back of the big dualsports.
    - TW200's clearing logs and deep mud ruts
    - saplings being taken out by boxer twins
    - getting light on the rolling hills
    - tight single track that puts you in the zone
    - the dried up creek bed

So fun.
  2. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    I've got about an hour of helmet cam footage of KTM300's head, well except for the section where I decided to lay on the ground and check out my front tire. Seems my aim was a bit high. Didn't get much of the actual trail though.

This was the first time I rode this event, and I had a blast. The sections were nice and tight, but not so bad that there were 40 bikes waiting to climb a hill or whatnot.

I'd almost like to go back next week, but prior commitments are keeping me away.
  3. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Good thing you spent all that time aiming your camera!:lol3

I don't know about you but, I'm a little sore today.. Probally because I don't have that pussy estart or an auto clutch..:amazon
  4. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I thought just the opposite. There has always been plenty of field crossings at this event, buy my guess is there was less than 10 miles of single track. Still a nice ride.

Those guys on the twins must be into self abuse.:huh
  5. djmase

djmase something catchy.

Oddometer:
    Craig did make it through, he did the hard section at the end as well...Mad props on that...that is quite a feat.
    djmase
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    We came upon him and a friend (on a SuperEnduro) taking a break. He was smiling so that was a good sign. Will he put that tire back on the earthmover that he robbed it from? :rofl
  7. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    First time I've ridden this event. Options were to truck the LC4 640 down or ride the entire thing on the 950????

I rode down from home seeing as the weather was so nice. 50F at 7am. Not many days like that left this year. I met up w/ Jeepboy at the school in the morn and we rode this together. (950 ADV S and 950 SE) This works well as were are close to the same speed...."SLOW" compared to all the "tiny" bikes in the tight stuff.

Sorry for holding many of you up, sometimes it was just too tight to find a place to move over. Thanks for the many offers for help. I managed to only crash once and another time the bike must have needed a rest. I put the sidestand down to parked it to help JBoy over a log and came back to find the entire sidestand suck in the muck. Glad it didn't snap off like last time.

We sure have a blast when you hit the open straights though.:thumb Sorry for the bruises Jeepboy, the Teraflex can chuck some large rocks if you get too close.

I only snapped 2 pics on the trail, I'll add them soon.

No I did not ride this w/ full tanks, started w/ about 3 gallons.

The extra width only hindered me in a few spots when those pesky downed trees would harpoon me in the side. No damage to the bike, Even the skidplate is in one piece. Lost count how many trees that rammed into.

The scariest part were the ATV/Snowmobile bridges. I made sure to ride right on top of the main beam. Those 2x4's looked pretty thin and chewed up from studs and at just under 700lbs (machine and I) I was not sure they would hold up to my small contact patch.

I had about 1" clearance to the top of my windshield going through the concrete culvert under the RR ties.:eek1

We made it to the option out around 12:30. Easy or hard????

Well, we're not making another lap, let do the hard.:D

There was one tree that I caused me to force the windshield under, but other than that it was a good "Challenge".

You sure learn a lot about your self and machine when going on rides like this. We did not need to use the winch and the Rekluse worked great.

If it had been raining or snowing and all sloppy it would have been another story....might still be there.

Thanks to all members of the Forest City Riders, Land owners and everyone else that helped to put this on, the food was great too. :thumb I had a great time and hope to make it again next year. Ended up w/ 230 miles round trip.

BTW,
    Yes I am a bit sore in spots, but it was well worth it.

This is Jeepboy.
  8. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next to the guy that showed up on a 950 up in Rhinelander last year at the National harescramble, your feat tought me to never complain about my 230 lb baby thumper again.

You guys on the twins - that was badass!
  9. R.Markus

R.Markus Damage Addict

Oddometer:
    Waiting for pictures... :ddog
  10. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Dunno why your tired, you took plenty of breaks laying on the ground next to the Husky!

Ya know if you'd get yourself a normal bike, you could probably get all those pussy accessories too. Then I wouldn't have to listen to you and Teddygreengoggles piss and moan the whole way back! Geez, talk about a coupla Sallys!

And yeah, I rode the bike to work this morning. And no Rekluse on the GS!
  11. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I pulled up to this water crossing and I decided to let the guys behind me go first. I watch them make it look easy. My concern was hitting slime and soaking my camera or sucking water in the carburetors on my BMW Twin. Heck, I did not even get my feet wet!​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Under this bridge you had a choice of three line: high near the water, close to the wall or the rut​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  14. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:ricky Da Hills:ricky

[​IMG]
  15. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    :thumbup :thumbup :thumbupStump Jumping!!! ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:eek1 Watch your head:eek1 ​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:eek1 And wat's a Midwest Dual Sport Ride without a cattle fence:eek1​
  18. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

This log I got half way over and then I just layed the bike sideways and dragged. I had help with a few other logs on the days ride.​

[​IMG]
  20. Paper

Paper Meh

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    I saw you ride through Rockton on your way home (I was putting gas in my R80 at the Phillips 66 station) and was wondering what you were doing in my neck of the woods..
    Then I thought about the fact that it was the weekend of the time change, and it hit me.. FCR's Off Road Poker Run!!!:nod (ok, that's what it was when I was in the club)..

I'm kicking myself now.. The KLR was ready, with good 50/50 tires, and I completely forgot about the event!!!

Crap.. Next year..:bluduh