Ktm Vs Klr

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ryedale, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Ryedale

Ryedale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok don't shoot me yet..
    I understand there are KTM Purists here, and I own a KTM 990 Adv 2008. New to the KTM ownership of course.

My friend says I way overpaid for a motorcycyle, and he can accomplish the same type of riding with a KLR, for less than half the money (assuming new price) He's able to pick up a 2009 for around $4500 it seems.

I have not studied the KLR very much, so heres my question. When I come to the Orange Crush forum, there are so many threads about Canisterectomy, flapectomy, 16t front sprocket, throttle tamer, engines locking up, mileage issues, remapping, broken case from sidestand, and the list goes on. The KTM is an extreme machine, but with any extreme machine there is always more maintainence. I'm not hearing or seeing that this motorcycle is reliable.

I love my machine, but I'm beginning to wonder if this is a "tinkerers" bike, meaning it always needs weekend work, like old Ski Doo snomobiles, and old Harleys. It seems companies like Honda attemped to perfect lower maintainence through the 80's. Heck I have a 1984 Honda 70 three wheeler that starts on the first pull every time, and my boys 8 and 10 love it. Very reliable machine.

My goal, with my limited time for recreational riding, I want something that gives maximum reliability, with minimum wrench time. Understand I'm no Motocross racer will not be doing jumps, or crazy $hit like that. Not a daily driver either. Will take some "adventure" trips though.

So please lets fairly compare the Austrian built KTM, to the Japaneese KLR, with respect to reliability. I know some will say no comparison, but is there an equal amount of problems with the KLR, as surface here on the KTM?

This is an honest question so i'm looking for more than the standard Chevy Ford mudslinging.

Thanks
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    this will land in xxxxxxx in 3 ... 2....

:rofl
  3. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude are you High? or your friend...:lol3

Sure you could but it wont be half as fun...

Preventive maintenance is your friend...
    Ferd likes this.
  4. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    It all depends on the brand and type of oil used in each bike !

For instance, if you use Motorex in a KLR, and Wolf's Head (from Dollar General) in a KTM, the performance is the same for both bikes.
  5. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    GET A KLR .... pronto!

KTM is an off road "old Harley" :nod

And its not for you!
  6. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
    If your buddy starts getting on your nerves, pull out a penny and scratch n roll it across the parking lot and he'll go away ... chasing after the penny.
  7. DetR6oit

DetR6oit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes its an expensive bike but it has over twice the power, much better suspension and much nicer details overall. You comparing a near race bike to a bare bones dual sport, and yes you bought into a little more complicated maintenance because of that. If you don't use the power or use it offroad then yeah you probably would have been just fine with a KLR. Your friend should tell some Ferrari owners thhey could have driven down the street just as well in a chevy cavalier while he is at it.

As for looking around the forum, yeah what do you expect? Go look at a KLR forum and its the same. No matter what you own, there are going to be quirks, common problems, and mods people do to customize a bike closer to how they want to use it. This doesn't even apply to just motorcycles, go look at a jeep or land rover forum, same thing. Mustang or camaro forum same again. Even if there are more maintenace related topics have you looked through any picture threads and seen how much more extreme use these bikes get compared to many of the mainstream bikes?

Also look what you are writing, 16t sprocket for instance? Its just a mod for people who do less freeway and more technical offroad. You seriosuly think no KLR owners change gearing? Every bike with a chain has some of its owners changing gearing for one reason or another. There will never be a bike that suits the needs of every one of its owners perfectly when stock. This has nothing to do with reliability or being a bike you have to tinker with.

That said I'm at almost 9000 miles on my 08 and with NO canisterectomy, NO flapendectomy, NO 16t sprocket, NO throttle tamer, NO engine locking up, no mileage issues, never been remapped, and NO broken case, and NO worries about any of them
  8. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of the "maintenance" threads seem to pertain to earlier bikes. I've got a 2004 model and it has needed its fair share of tinkering. My impression is that later bikes are more reliable, but that's only an impression.
  9. dlrides

Oddometer:
    What brand of oil are you using ?
  10. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the Internet amplification of any and all problems ever had or suspected by anyone anywhere at anytime. This theory posits problems posed are not necessarily problems experienced by everyone everywhere at every time.
    Well, isn't it?
  11. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2007 has been reliable for the 10G miles I have on it.
  12. Ryedale

Ryedale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What does this have to do with the question about reliability KLR vs KTM? How do you know what's for me?
  13. Ryedale

Ryedale Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks this is the type of response that has some meat to it. I agree there is a difference between a mod, and a required service upgrade. I'm especially not fond of service upgrades, base on the premise of "you better do this.......or else (fill in your own bad story ending). I'm hoping that most 990 owners are like yourself, thousands of miles without major problems.

What are peoples bad experiences with the KLR's, I'm sure some here have had them before upgrading to the KTM.
  14. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    I've got 12k on mine and pass my friends on KLR's all the way to the single track. Oh yeah, I'm also carrying a passenger and enough beer and camping gear for both of us. The KLR with NO BEER and only the rider catch up to us only if we stop.
  15. dlrides

Oddometer:
    Can a mod please move this thread to GSpot ?

:csm
  16. killurtv

killurtv free range moron

Oddometer:
    As a 3 time KLR owner 1996, 2000, 2004, all of which were ridden hard and sold with around 25000 miles on them, I can attest that they are a reliable bike that is off road worthy for sure. I am not familiar with upgrades/fixes that may have been done to the 08/09 KLR's but the older models were a bit dangerous straight from the factory and had some things that needed to be changed on them. Go to Marks KLR page and see the list of things that he recommends changing/fixing on the KLRs, it is a healthy list. I did most of the fixes because I am a bit paranoid, but that is just me. That said, I currently own an 07 KTM Adv with 17000 miles on it. Yes the KTM does require maintenance and the oil change is abit of a pain, but this bike is in no way comparible to the KLR IMO. I loved my KLR's but would never go back! I will take the extra bit of maintenance for the extra kick in the pants. But really- to each his own, you decide, ride both and be honest about what the bike will be used for. The KTM is a heavy bike and is no fun to pick up after a crash.

good luck, either way you will be out riding and that after all is what the end goal is.:lol3
    The_Boot likes this.
  17. 2-Wheel Cowboy

2-Wheel Cowboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Had a KRL bought it because it was less expensive had done some research they said it was a solid bike which it was. I had the opportunity to ride a friends KTM. WHOA, what a ride - sold the KRL and hunted and found a low mileaged, affordable KTM and now I have this shit eating grin plastered on my face all the time.

There is no comparison between the two bikes other then they have both motorcycles. The KTM is like riding a race horse and driving the KRL was like riding a draft horse.
  18. Venteuri

Oddometer:
    I may not know what's best for you, but it seems you don't either!
    And from what I read in your mail, you are not KTM customer target.

BTW... I think I was wrong when I said get the KLR; if you worry that much on what "my friend said" .. KLR's get the most trashing :lol3

Get a V-STROM - that's the bike for you. :nod
  19. Venteuri

Oddometer:
    I almost forgot to quote the N00b!

NOTE: Three wheelers are Dangerous! ... Weren't them withdrawn of the market!
  20. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go buy a KLR.

Theres no reason to own a high performance sports car when you can't tell the diffence between it and a yugo.:deal