I finally found a decent thermometer.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GarrettRB, Mar 31, 2012.

1. GarrettRB

GarrettRB Bike Nerd

Oddometer:
    I needed a thermometer for my bike this and picked up this one from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/270909668509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It works surprisingly well. I compared it to my precision mercury thermometer and it's accurate to within 1 degree. The unit looks waterproof although I haven't tested that yet. The sensor is on a lead so I can hide it from the sun. It only cost me $11.50 with shipping. It only comes in Celsius though so I have to do a quick conversion in my head and the display is hard to read in sunlight. It needs some kind of shade.

I thought I'd mention it since it took me a while before finding a thermometer I liked.
  2. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. BeachMoto

BeachMoto Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am on my second year with one of these. They don't claim it to be waterproof but I haven't had any issues in over 20K miles. I just replace the AAA battery once a year and it keeps on working. I have the remote wired sensor under the beak of my 1200GS. It has a backlight that stays on all the time, I like that feature and ambient light doesn't impact the readability. It wasn't cheap but it is well made and made in the USA.:clap

[​IMG]

http://www.teltek.us/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=15&idproduct=764
  5. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would fill it with melted wax to water proof it. They are not water proof in stock form. Only the sensor is water proof.
  6. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  7. GarrettRB

GarrettRB Bike Nerd

Oddometer:
    Mine looks like the photo SgtDuster posted. It's full of hot glue.
  8. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
  9. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious, why do you need to know the exact temp? If it's hot, I know it. If it's cold I know it and put on my warm gear, and pay attention to road conditions. Indicated temp of 34 in a high spot, will be less in a low spot, so I watch for ice, slush, etc. And I sure as hell know what camping gear I need if it's cold. So, why do I need a thermometer?
  10. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So you can stop and call your buddies that wimped out on a ride and say "Where are you, it's XX degrees here!" :D

MrHix
  11. cognosticator

cognosticator YOU do it

Oddometer:
    Looks like you don't need one. I am an accountant, I am anal about numbers :huh I check my fuel mileage each time I fill up, I measure the tread depth all the time, I am just fucking crazy about number, hmmmm I wonder how many post I have with this one :rofl Just because you don't want to doesn't mean we all shouldn't
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    You do realize many bikes do not have Tachs, oil pressure gauges, or engine temp gauges right?

I do use my speedo all the time cause I really don't like getting those pesky speeding tickets if I can avoid them. :lol3
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I do too, I look at the tire and if it still has knobbies or it still has some tread good to go, if it doesn't have knobbies or it's showing cord, time to change it! :lol3
  14. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I'd like to have one. You leave the house for a trip and it is a balmy 50 degrees. As you go through the mountains on the moist roads, you know it has cooled but aren't sure if ice is an issue. I'd personally like to know when I get closer to freezing temps, both for knowing if ice on the road is an issue or if the drizzle is going to turn to snow.
  15. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying anyone shouldn't have one, just wondering. Don't get your shorts in a knot because someone asked a? Gheez.
  16. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not saying you should have one. Don't get your shorts in a knot because someone talks about a piece of equipment you have no interest in. Gheez.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I like having a temp guage.. I've installed one on the last 4-5 bikes I've owned, and will install on future bikes.

While not critical most days, it's just a little piece of info that I like knowing. Ymmv

I get the smallest one I can find, usually at the dollar store. And velcro it in a convenient location.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Daytrader

Daytrader Elitist Bastard

Oddometer:
    I remember that place. They rent and sell kayaks and outdoor stuff don't they? North of Portland?
  20. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maggot, the $ stores often have some good stuff that can be used on a bike. Storage, note pads, plug ins, etc. Go for it.

And Sgt, I couldn't care less what you want to carry on your bike. Really!