Where did you mount 12V socket?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tcourdin, Aug 18, 2008.

1. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to mount a 12 volt accessory socket (cigarette lighter plug) on my 1200 GS. I would like to have it in front of the handlebars near the instruments somewhere but cant find a good spot.
  2. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    I see from your profile that you have a 07. I know on the GSA's, and I think on the standard GS as well, there is a spot on the left side adjacent to the instruments for a BMW power outlet. There is a kit from BMW with all of the stuff needed to mount one there. I have one on my GSA, and when I want to power something like my cell phone charger I use an adapter that goes from the BMW plug to a female 12v cig lighter recept. The one bummer is that it will power off shortly after the bike key is turned off, and it won't take more than a 5amp load for things like heated clothing. If you mount a Centech or something similar you could power one without those limitations if you wanted.
  3. epicday

epicday Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 12 volt outlet, I know that I can get one off the www but could I find one at a local automotive store and if so are there different types? Thanks again for the help.
  4. TX RN

TX RN TX RN

Oddometer:
    The spot to mount the BMW power port is sized to the BMW part. I don't think a standard 12v socket will fit. I think you will need to install the BMW port then use a 12v adapter. I have mine wired directly to the battery, thus bypassing the CANBUS and problems associated with it. I still keep the draw under 5 amps but it is nice knowing I can draw more power if needed.
  5. atomicfuze

atomicfuze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I did BOTH sides.

:nod

Left one is for high-powered stuff like vests. The right is run off the GPS plug at the head stock and is switched to the bike. Can't run more'n electronics on it, but that's what I put it in for so :thumb

The TT dash cover has a power plug built in if you wanna go that route. Steverino's bike has one. Looks good. :nod

HTH

M
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I bought an adapter that plugs into BMW's socket with a 5' cord that ends in a double cigarette type plug, this fits under the straps on the outside of my Tourarech tank bag.