Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Video from my Bro's helmet. He's learning that the go pro needs to be close to get the detail... I'm kicking myself for not getting some video with my camera. I got full bar lock a few times. Also high sided once or twice. It was late in the day and we still had a long ways til home. Just a quick stop to play.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nCduicND0HQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bwE96TIdTko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    ahhhh, makes me want to ride!!!!:clap
  4. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    FYI, check your spokes. I spooned on a new front & found some loose spokes again. The first time I checked was early on when I had some bounce around 35-40mph. I torqed all of my spokes & installed dyna beads. This time I just checked because I had the rim off. I'm always jumping curbs & hitting roots/rocks harder than I should.
  5. easypeasy

easypeasy Why'me

Oddometer:
    More info on this tank please
  6. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    I just received this email from safari tanks;

"Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your email, regarding the larger tank for the Triumph Tiger.

The tank is currently being designed and we anticipate testing will start in
    May.

In Australia tanks will become available toward the end of the year, with
    tanks being available else were shortly after the release in Australia.

Tanks will initially be available in black or translucent white with
    approximately 32 litre capacity.

We will have details on our web page getting closer to release."

Regards
    Veronica

Safari Fuel Tanks
    R & V Aqualine Industries
    1933 Carboor Everton Road
    Carboor VIC 3678
    AUSTRALIA
    PH. +61 3 5729 5556
  7. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put on a new set of TKC'S on and straight up I had a bounce from the front from stand still to about 70 kph -had to go on a weekender straight up then another the weekend after so couldnt take back to shop till the other day went in to see if they didnt balance right -they said front tyre was out shape "shit brand" anyway reading your post will loose spokes cause this problem ?
  8. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    how come ya bro had cooking mits on?

great shots though

9. Rob Dirt

Oddometer:
    Sure. If they get loose enough they can warp the rim out of true, but proper tightening will fix the problem. The wheels have top notch rims. It's just the nature of the beast. I've had to relace the whole rear on my 450 because I never checked the spokes & one broke. Just ping each one with a piece of metal & make sure it rings instead of thud.
  10. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I include this as part of my oil changing drill - as the oil is draining, I do lots of little things like that.
  11. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Cause the temp was only in the upper 30's. We aren't what you call "fair weather riders".
  12. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks rob dirt :clap
  13. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    Cool vids!
  14. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Burren,

I have Safari tanks on two of my bikes, and love them. They offer great crash/drop protection too!! Plan to get one for my 800XC, when available.

My question is.....

Do you think (from your look at the pictures) the new Safari tank will interfere with the SWMototech crash bars??? My guess is, is that it will, and the tank will probably create radiator protection. Since I'm about to pull the trigger on crash bars, maybe I'll wait to see the Safari in the flesh (or just go with the Triumph crash bars for now).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated:ear:ear
  15. easypeasy

easypeasy Why'me

Oddometer:
    Ok let's suppose that i am out trail riding I hit rock and my stupid kickstand switch breaks. Now what, I won't be able to put it in gear and drive it right? So i am thinking - and this is my question- can you take the wires from the kickstand switch and just cut them off and twist them together to make the proper connection, or is there some kind of a fault code to stop that from working. In my shop I disconnected the plug for the kick stand switch and sure enough it dies when you put it in gear, which I figured would be the case. I don't want to screw something up on the electronics so I am thinking someone smarter than me can answer this question. Of course I could just move the thing up and out of the way with zip ties but would rather leave it cause I sometimes forget to flip up my stand, ya I know. I want to have plan for out on the trail just in case it breaks.
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Your Dunes video is very impressive indeed. Never expected the XC to handle sand so well. Some great riding there too! So ... was it you or the bike?

The KLX Camera bike seemed to have trouble keeping up!
    I'm guessing that sand was fairly damp? Down in SoCal and Baja our sand dries out and then the deep stuff is tough on a heavy bike ... especially for a poor sand rider like myself.

Triumph should have used your Video as a promo clip. Loved the long sweeping rooster tails. Well Done!! :freaky:clap
  17. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    Yes it was really damp just under the surface which made it perfect!! I gotta give a lot of credit to the bike, but I'm getting to be a damn good rider. Read the fully story in my thread starting HERE post #285, or skip right to the dunes post HERE
  18. Rob Dirt

Oddometer:
    You should be able to connect the two wires together. I did this on other bikes but not my tiger. I was told it would be okay to do the kickstand safety switch if you had to get out of the woods but do not do the clutch safety switch. The clutch safety switch controls all kind of ECU stuff.
  19. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I broke my sidestand switch on a ride a while ago and I removed it and (IIRC) connected the 2 wires together, taped it up and zip tied it out the way. Not had an issue with fault code etc. since.
  20. Rob Dirt

Oddometer:
    That's good to know, I'll get rid of mine soon as the warranty runs out.