Adventure 320mm Single Rotor Conversion w/ STOCK caliper

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Johnf3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know several have converted over to a four piston caliper and a 320mm disc. I am looking to simplify this (yes I know at the cost of overall braking performance) and use a 320mm disc with the stock caliper.

There are lots of kits out there that convert all KTMs to this set up. Basically they come with the new rotor and the caliper relocating bracket. Any reason these won't work for the 950? My bike gets ridden mostly off road, so I will still have plenty of braking power, and even on road, I generally am running a front knobby where the tire is the limiting factor on brake power, not the brakes themselves. I would love to drop another 5 or 6 pounds of weight.

Anyone know if this will work? CJ--offer a kit with a machined bracket and I will pre pay!
  2. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that the stock master cylinder is a littlebit too much for only one (2 piston) caliper.. Maybe go for the SE's master during the conversion.
  3. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:

I actually would go with a radial master cylinder designed for a single caliper set up, but yes, that is correct. Doesn't matter though if the off the shelf caliper relocater does not fit the Adventure Brembo caliper.
  4. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    The off the shelf KTM-bike relocation bracket does NOT fit the 950. I was able to take a KTM dirt bike bracket made out of billet aluminum and have it modified to work for my 950. YRMV.
  5. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Same here.

I've finally gotten the next batch of Billet LC8 baskets started, once those are done.... I'll look into a 320 bracket kit for the ADV and SE bikes. :wink: I already have a working version with over 30,000 miles on it, so it's been tested enough.
    dooby likes this.
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a no no. It will work fine, provided you are prepared to apply a little bit more braking force to your lever. In fact you will end up with a very fine performing braking system with a very crisp feel and no sponginess whatsoever (single 320 disc + single caliper + adv master).

The SE master holds very little oil and can be very dangerous very fast with repeated hard braking. Also it's piston area is far from ideal for the caliper it drives on the street (but it is fine offroad).
    overlander likes this.
  7. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I run the SE master with a 320 rotor on my ADV as I didn't like the feel of the ADV Master with the single caliper. The ADV master was on the bike so it was easyy to test and say, YES or NO, this won't work for me. Not to say everyone has to run the SE master.

I've not had any issues in my "normal type" of riding over the last 2 years with the SE master. Maybe if all I was doing were track days, I'd see it, but I think for your Casual rider they'd never see an issue.

Everything can always be better, depends on if your personal riding style and terrain if you really need it.
  8. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What has to be modified? If I sent you one could you do it for me, since you already figured it out? I need a project while I am waiting for my 950 CPR air filter.:D
  9. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi John, Email me. What you have/need/when you need it? I'll see what I can do.:D
  10. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Can't say I've noticed any problem in 6000 miles of street use. I hated the feel of the stock 950 master cylinder with a single 300mm disc. Feel and performance seems fine to me.

The SE caliper crosses to the 2007 950adv and the SE is street legal in the litigious USA :deal

[hmmn 2005/2006 950 front brake caliper fiche page seems a bit messed up wrt #1/#2. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ktmworld/KTM_OEM/KTMDB.asp?Type=13&A=316&B=19. The fiche @munn also shows #1/#2 as the entire caliper but the part#s refer to "hose guides" so I guess scoring an entire caliper for $6 isn't likely :D]

CJ I'd be interested in a 320mm kit also depending on cost. I run a knobbie on the front that imposes it's own traction limits but I wouldn't mind something in between single and dual.
  11. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brent,
    Do you remember which bracket you bought and what had to be modified?
  12. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I would buy one....
  13. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I've got all the bracket info here. Let me look Thurs- wed I'm busy. But I'll see what it would take to get brackets, have them modified for a single sided left caliper setup. (Be easier than sending your brackets to me to be modified) I should also be able to supply the 320 rotors if interested.

I'll see if I can squeeze in a batch of 6.
  14. brents347

Oddometer:
    I got mine used from a guy who had a SM set-up for a 450/520 RFS bike.

As I recall, the caliper sliding pins were too far apart by about 2 or 3mm so I welded closed the old lower pin hole (the pin is thread in) and then redrilled the caliper bracket on the proper pin spread.

Does that make sense?
  15. Nytro

Nytro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If this bracket would work on a SE I'm in for one!
  16. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is what I heard too. Thanks for that. I don't have the know how or the equipment for that, so I will see if we can keep CJ interested in making us a batch.
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I am pretty sure that KTM now has a 320mm bracket that will fit, advertised for the 2009+ dirt bikes which have an updated Brembo 2 piston caliper. It's even smaller than the old one but should have the same pin spacing as the ADV/SE from what I was able to find out.

77013914000 if anybody wants to give it a try. :wink:

[​IMG]
  18. brents347

Oddometer:
    So Lukas, this is the brake caliper bracket you are talking about. What makes you think that it would be correct for a 950 ADV caliper? I can't find any information on it or what bike it is for at all.

Brent

[​IMG]
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    KTM sells it for supermoto conversions of all 530 and smaller bikes that come with the new style 2 piston Brembo caliper.

[​IMG]

Unlike the old dirt bike caliper, this one is supposed to share the same pin spacing as the 950/990 big piston calipers, or so I have been told.

I actually just put one of these new calipers on a bike so I can measure it tomorrow to confirm. If the pin spacing is correct, the only remaining issue is axial spacing. If necessary it would be easy to make some adjustments using aluminum spacers here.
  20. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lukas,
    If you could measure it and compare, that would be great.