So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Damn! OK, that's officially the nicest mod job I've seen since I posted up my own! :clap Jezuar (with the low fender) and that guy from Scandinavia (forgot his name) also had some really cool total bike makeovers, but this one really really gives me a stiffy.

Fantastic!! Whoo-oo-oo!

About that fuse panel, I used the Eastern Beaver "3-Fuse Solution" which fits nicely on top of the fuel tank and under the seat. Here's a pic--

[​IMG]

Hey, would somebody post up an "attaboy" in my thread to bring it back from the archives? LINK
  2. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Done and Done.

Hey, would somebody post up an "attaboy" in my thread to bring it back from the archives? LINK[/QUOTE]
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touratech gas cap

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2073/PN-049-0135/Sports-Fuel-Tank-Cap-G650Xchallenge

Remember, even with the TT cap, I had to replace the rubber seal with a slightly thicker one that I cut from some Viton purchased from a local rubber supply.

My aux tank is a little higher than yours and the siphon pressure would cause the TT to weep also. I've had the TT with the thick gasket for months now and no problem.

The TT cap is all metal and should last a long time. I also like not having to fiddle with a key. Just be careful riding with other shady characters on X bikes without one of these desirable additions !
  4. djb_rh

djb_rh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what happens when both are filled and the factory cap "leaks"? I assume spill? Or just no siphon from the aux tank?

And I was just having a brain fart on what "TT" meant in your earlier post. Found and ordered. I'm not a fan of the locking cap anyway.

Got any more info on that rubber you got? I don't think I have a local rubber supply place. Ever throw some calipers on it for thickness?

--Donnie
  5. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Wow what a sight with that bicycle on, I've never seen that! So in the pic above, you are using the 2 tapped holes in the subframe and not using longer bolts with nuts? I ask because on the 07 the subframe is aluminum and those holes are suspect and some people beef them up (right muddyrabbit?) . The 09 being steel perhaps is fine for holding over time, and being able to add and remove the bolts several times.

BTW to the other question Squizzy... about loading the subframe on the 08, is it aluminum like the 07 or steel like the 09? You have to be careful if it aluminum (SCARY LINKY) :wink:
  6. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Interesting! Never knew this existed either! If I keep this bike another X years maybe I'll upgrade my messy wiring setup!
  7. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What will happen if the cap leaks is that gas will continue to weep out and run down the side of the stock tank. Worse case, it will pool on the floor. Really worse case, the flame from the natural gas water heater located in your garage will ignite the evaporating gasoline vapors and blow up your building.

You should be able to get a small piece of Viton from maybe an auto parts or something. If youre in Chapel Hill, I bet there's a supply house that sells rubber.
    Thickness? It is just a smidgen thicker than what comes on the Toura Tech. I dont remember the measured size. Neoprene works also but it is not as impervious to ethanol as is Viton. You dont want it too thick or the cam lock wont work properly.

Try the TT as it comes. If it doesnt weep, dont fret about the rubber.
  8. djb_rh

djb_rh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think only the 09's were steel, but I could be wrong.

Funny, or dumb, story: When I got the bike I ordered a TT rack kit and some bad-ass hard bags. When the kit showed up, there was a subframe in there. I was like "what the?" Then I read the instructions and it told me my subframe was aluminum and I had to switch it or I'd break my bike. But the one they ship doesn't have footpegs. And apparently the instructions weren't updated for the 09. And I didn't think to stick a magnet to my subframe, I just trusted what I read.

But I didn't like the idea of losing the rear footpegs. So I sent the entire mess back. Only to later discover I didn't have to, I could have just not used the TT subframe after all.

But in the end I think it worked out even better, as I didn't need the bad-ass-ness of the bags they sell and ended up having a LOT less in what I have now, and I like it better anyway. I just felt stupid for not knowing what I had and trusted aftermarket documentation to tell me.

Anyway, to answer the question, yes, I'm using the tapped holes. They're beefy and the tapping is all the way through. So outside of the potential for them backing out, I don't think nuts on the backside would help. And on the backing out issue, I'm just going to be diligent about checking them anyway. Also, some of the pictured hardware is getting swapped for stainless, even though I know it's a little softer. I still think what I have is so much stronger all the way around that I'd rather have the rust-worthiness.

But yeah, if this was an aluminum subframe I don't think I'd be doing all this. I would have probably gone with the TT subframe and added footpegs. :)

Thanks, leafman, for the gas cap info. I used to race cars, so I've got catchpans and the ability to park it somewhere that it won't ass-plode on me. So I'll wait to put fuel in the aux can until I have the TT cap and I'll try it.

What should I expect? I assume I'll want to fill the factory tank as much as possible, cap, and then fill the aux tank. Then as I ride will the aux tank end up "over-filling" the factory tank until such time as the aux tank runs out and I burn the fuel out of the factory tank down enough that it's no longer over-full?

That is to say you really need to make sure you've run it enough to be near empty so you don't have a spill just trying to "top it off"? Or basically never just "top off" the factory tank if you're not sure, just top off the aux tank only?

--Donnie
  9. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Lol. Yeah, you got it about right. Dont remove the factory cap unless you're sure the tank is low or you'll have a gas gusher.

You first fill the factory tank as full as possible (easier on sidestand than center), then you install the factory tank cap, then you fill the aux tank. After a little running, the vacuum and siphon force will begin dumping fuel into the stock tank. Even though you have a little trapped air in the stock tank, it seems to top off from the aux tank.

Just keep track of your mileage or watch for your stock low-fuel light to come on. Then you'll know when is good to fill the stock tank.

Go back and read my earlier post about the tip-over valve. If you encounter problems with the aux tank feeding, remove the guts from the tip-over valve (you can always replace it). With the aux tank set-up, the tip-over valve is basically non-functional anyway. I had a little trouble every now and then with the feed and removing the tip-over guts seemed to solve the problem.

Be sure that your aux tank is vented. I see you have the pricey little air
    bleed cap ( I used a tire valve cap) so you should be okay.

One thing that I dont think I saw on your bike that I find very handy is a centerstand. I used the Hepco-Becker and there's one currently offered on ebay. I adjusted mine so it swings way up and does not create bad clearance issues. I problem is that the stock engine guards will not allow installation of a centerstand unless you modify the guards. That's what I did. You must cut away the guard mounts to accommodate the centerstand.

With the centerstand and the guards, I didnt need the hard-part banger tabs. The stand and the guard mounts do the same thing. You won't have enough space for them anyway with the stand and the guards.
  10. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! It's a big world!

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping the leaking gas cap is mostly caused by submerging the cap in fuel for days, often enough.

I have an XTank. I once opened the main to check fuel level -- and ~4-8oz of fuel spilled out! Bike was on sidestand, level ground. An increase in ambient barometric pressure could do this, or if air somehow bubbles up the fuel line into the xtank... Regardless, I keep my xtank empty when not riding, and hope my six-year-old OEM gas cap never leaks. Time may tell.
  11. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the stock cap will eventually leak even without an auxiliary tank. It is not a durable construction. The small o-ring that seals the lock cylinder seems to go first and fuel will weep out around the key hole.

A leaky cap is not a big deal if you dont run an aux tank. The fuel level is always below the cap except for splash.

Anyway, if it aint broke, dont fix it ! Wait til you see some weepage.
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, if you leave the OEM gas cap submerged in gas, it will leak. The fuel pump pulls quite a vacuum on the main tank and you also have the siphon effect. Throw in the overflow vent at the base of the OEM gas cap, and yes, you will fill the main tank completely after you stop.
  13. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info before. Has anyone used a extra tail tank on the rear rack? I looked in the specific fuel threads and did not find anything. That does not mean it wasn't there of course. The tail tank could feed into the breather as an xtank I presume. Is the xtank still in production? It looks the goods and maybe I should save up for that:D
  14. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really, it weighs 40kg more

Has a all steel frame, subframe and swingarm v steel/alloy and alloy

The Terra is more F650GS Dakar, than G650X
  15. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, well I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder.

I've seen and sat on both the Terra and Strada and they are very different from the GS series. They look and spec-out very similar to what a SUCCESSOR to the X Series would logically be but closer to the XCo than the XCh. Bigger fuel tank and other upgrades. Weight is not a huge amount more than the X based on published specs. Lots more HP though.

Just look at the things !

Now that BMW has sold off Husqvarna, it'll be interesting to see what happens to these hybrids of Italian and German efforts.
  16. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I just use an accessory tank on mine......I can take it off when I don't need it!

(Sorry, it's the only photo I have of the bike with the tank on)

[​IMG]
  17. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi Guys
    Picked up the new bike this morning. A bit dirty, but I will go for a ride tomorrow and it will get dirtier! It is a 2008 and has a Sachs spring rear shock and a steel subframe. I dont know if Aus deliveries are different to US, but I thought steel was only 2009. A bit of a bonus there. What sort fuel range can I expect from the tank? Will be mounting a rotopax or similar in the future. Oil seems reasonable, but will change that in the next week or so. Was fun riding it home, looking forward to tomorrow.
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    lookin good
  19. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I get a VERY consistent 25kms/liter.

My fuel light comes on between 164 - 173 kms. My fuel range is 250kms
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. squizzy

squizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Went for a ride today 225k used 7lts.. Great fun, on the way home just thinking when I can go for my next ride! Dont get me wrong, I love riding my 800, but the 650 is so flickable and easy to ride. I will transfer the rego tomorrow!
    [​IMG]