KX100 build into a trail bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Yinzer Moto, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Bowhunter

Bowhunter Single Trackin' & Stick & Stringin'

Oddometer:
    Very interesting build. I can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Subscribed!
  2. scoutDad

scoutDad IBA#203

Oddometer:
    I like your idea of building the KX, but another path occured to me as I read your posts.....

Does anyone offer a performance expansion chamber for the Freeride? That and a jetting session might be an easy way to get an orange powerband to show up and be a lot less hassle.

Then you could concentrate on making the KX the perfect bike for your honey. :wink:
  3. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried a kx100 thinking I could make it a poor mans freeride

here you are doing the same even though you have the real deal.

Since you are building for your own track, it should be fun but don't expect it to hook up very well out in the real world with your buddies. (in stock form)

The key might be the 18 rear wheel. It will roll obstacles better and might be all the flywheel effect you need. I wonder if a super Sherpa swingarm and wheel would work. The kx125 stuff might be too beefy...
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the jetting issues with the Freeride is making my patience wear thin. If you visit the Freeride section on KTM talk, you will see the issues with this bike. No one has figured out why. Lots of weird fueling/jetting issues. I paid a lot of money for this bike and am a guinea pig. For 2k, I might be able to build a better bike... :freaky

No one makes a performance pipe for the bike yet. There are pictures of some one off items floating around on the Internet.

Stay tuned for where this all goes. :clap
  5. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Ok. :lurk

BTW if you think you can build a pipe, go for it. I found it much easier than expected.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tools did you need other than a welder? I would think a band saw would be a necessary item.
  7. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

Just an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and a hand operated hydraulic pump. A bandsaw would be much nicer than the cutoff wheel - less mess.

Pics, to give a hint at what I was doing:
    https://drduck.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/WR200/i-S5HkcXX
    The first test pipe was almost useable, the second one has been on the bike for over a year now.

Let me know of any details you'd like. In general, it's 18ga stainless for the hydroformed section, and pre-bent sections of tube for the rest of the pipe. Even if you use mild steel, welding it up with stainless filler will help to keep the porosity in check. It takes a few re-welds to finish the pipe as the seams flex a lot and crack when the pipe expands. The second fitting at the other end of the pipe makes draining and refilling much faster.

The black pipe (the first one I made) was 16ga mild steel and it was too stiff to get round before the seam split completely.
  8. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Ha.. I was just thinking about your experiments while reading this. Good read here also.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849471
  9. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Here is more info on building your own exp. chamber. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655547
  10. KimDN

KimDN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about a similar route, but a little easier to do--converting a ktm105 to 18/21" wheels. Because the Freeride and the 105 share the same hubs, well that makes things a whole lot easier. And the fact that I have a Freeride and (my wife's) 105, that should make life easier!

I'll be sending out my suspension next week, that would be a good time to start swapping parts. The front wheel is a no brainer, but I don't think the rear wheel will fit without a longer swingarm. I have a local guy who can extend the 105, or maybe the Freeride swinger will fit the 105 chassis? I'm pretty sure the rear shock can be shortened to lose about 1 1/2" of ride height.

I shouldn't have read this thread, I already have enough projects!
    :rofl
    CPAT likes this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you over here. :clap

Are you running the KX carb on the Freeride? How is that working?

I just had hand surgery and can't work for the next 7 weeks. Unfortunately, that also means a cast on my right hand and can't really work on any bikes either. The parts are piling up in the garage for the bike.

I am eager to get this bike put together and ride it around a bit.
  12. KimDN

KimDN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm running a Kx100 carb on the Freeride. It runs pretty much the same as the FR carb, but I don't seem to have the infrequent stalling for no reason thing happening anymore.

I need to extend the 105 swingarm to allow the Freeride wheel to fit with an 18" tire. I hope to stay focused and get it done.....
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update: With my direction, the wife got the KX put back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only modification at this point is some 30mm bar risers. I can't ride for another 6 weeks, at least. So it is difficult for me to say what needs to done to the bike.

The wife is going to take it out in the woods this evening once it cools off. I'll walk around and see how it does. As well as how she does.

My buddy stopped over and got it fired up and he rode it around a bit. It hauled his 200+ pound ass round pretty well. He did say it had a very narrow power band, as I expected it to have.

6 more weeks of this....

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just by looking at it, I think it needs some ROX bar risers that put the bars more forward. A bar that has less rearward bend. Maybe a couple inches of foam in the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another option is to switch the top triple clamp out for one of these: http://www.rswracing.com/kx85.htm The 3" tall bar mount in the furthest forward (of 6) positions along with Renthal's "CRF150R adult bend" (1" less sweep and 1 1/2" more height than the stock KX100 bars) should give a ton more room in the cockpit without looking goofy (like my bars being rotated forward look.) ... at least that's what I'm planning to go with on my mini build.
    shrubitup likes this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bookmarked. Thank you. I like that option a lot.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wife has been riding the KX a fair bit. It looks like a really fun bike. She is having a bit of trouble without a flywheel weight but is getting better at keeping it up in the RPMs. I still have a month or so till I can ride.

I saw this video the other day: :huh

https://instagram.com/p/21mGDROfQu/
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy stopped over and did some laps on the KX last night, it was good to get some feedback about how the bike works. My hand is still healing and I have not been able to ride it yet. Maybe a couple more weeks.

Even though it is sprung soft, he said he was not able to bottom it on a small flat landing. So when I put the proper springs in, the valving may be ok, just move the clickers a bit.

He said the clutch has a very narrow engagement point and is difficult to feather. I am looking for solutions for that. Maybe a mountain bike brake lever that has an adjustable pull point.

Some video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SKyfA8Ajy8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0seQbnO23ms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. motodojo

motodojo Rock Ninja

Oddometer:
    shrubitup likes this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike was what pushed me over the edge, I had been casually looking for a pit bike kind of thing to ride around my property, I saw your video and decided I needed a KX100. I even came across an RM, but this KX I got was a better deal.