Kawasaki take notice, another Ninja Mutant is being built

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by pjm204, Oct 25, 2011.

1. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:

I WILL take pictures this weekend. I promise. I had a couple other bike projects pop up. My tires just shipped so I might actually get to have it rolling.
  2. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well hopefully this at least proves I actually own a ninja that I'm mutating. Front is on, shock is on, rear wheel is on but is awaiting spacers. Once I get the spacers sorted it out it will be able to be ridden. Since the picture I put on the controls and grips. Oh and there is no tube in the rear tire, it was just for photo purposes, tube arrives Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    That looks great, super clean. I really need to do one of these:lol3
  4. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha well unlike the guys tearing down one that had been wrecked, I tore into one that was essentially brand new (had 18 miles on it when I bought it). If I had a lathe, i'd be riding it right now. I need these damn wheel spacers, guy from the machine shop is only open on weekdays and I can never go to pick them up.
  5. elgato gordo

elgato gordo KTMRFS

Oddometer:
    Great look'in project! Are both top and bottom triples race tech?

:clap:freaky
  6. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    ktmklx just started a lathe thread in the garage and is going to look at machines right now...:evil
  7. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:

My buddy has a lathe however he has so little tooling for it that you can't do much with it, and tooling is the expensive part.

Top triple is applied racing, bottom triple is ???
  8. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The bike does exist! Looking good. Earlier in the thread I saw something about ignition switch mounting. This is what I did on mine, the steering lock even works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I need to drill out those damn screws....I'm trying to decide what to do with the headlight/windshield/etc. Also what fenders will clear the radiator, it looks awfully close

QUOTE=ktmklx;18079930]The bike does exist! Looking good. Earlier in the thread I saw something about ignition switch mounting. This is what I did on mine, the steering lock even works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  10. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I made a decent amount of progress yesterday. Made the wheel spacers, did the oil pan mod, drilled out the screws in the ignition. A tube, some links in the chain, and an extension on the caliper hanger keyway and it is rideable. then I just need to figure out the headlight and cluster setup. I think the cluster is coming closer to the bars and that a round headlight will be mounted to the fork legs....

Pics to follow later
  11. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm picking up masterlinks and some extra chain tonight after work. I need to bolt on an extension for the anti-rotate bracket for the rear caliper hanger.

Yesterday I didn't have much that I could do. I put some spacers in to keep the shock from moving side to side. Which raises a question, the lower shock eyelet has zero side to side movement. I have one 12mm waster on the righthand side. The top mount he eyelet is able to move side to side on the bushing, I have 2 12mm washers on the righthand side. I'm wondering if any lateral movement is okay. I would have put one washer on each side but a bolt on the right hand side of the eyelet contacted the frame. I installed the ninja front master cylinder with the YZ brake setup, I'm anxious to see what kind of stopping power it has, it has the best feel of any brake I've ever used.

I spent a little while standing/sitting on the bike, determining if I needed to move the pegs. It seems like if I move them forward that the seated position is a little funky, I may leave them stock and see how it rides.

My biggest hurdles now are the exhaust, skideplate, crash bars, and my main focus, the headlight

I'm thinking of doing either a 7" or 8" baja style headlight, I want to maintain the hi/lo function. I'm not a wiring guru by any means, how difficult will it be to convert the dual H7 to a single H4 or similar setup?
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the reason for the two washers at the top shock bushing is to prevent the shock from contacting the mount. a little lateral movement is no problem.
  13. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect, that's the answer I was hoping for. I'll have to see how this R1 shock treats me, I'm only 160 pounds. Any chance I won't need a stiffer spring? I can't wait to ride this bike.

What's the preferred method for "extending" the brake bracket, bolt or weld?
  14. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Weapon R catch can for my coolant reservoir. Not this weekend but the one after I will be working on headlights/exhaust/crash bars/etc.This will involve riding the bike roughly 80 miles so I need to get a chain or add links, and drill/tap the caliper anti-rotate.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    can't add a spacer for the caliper?
  16. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With my wheel aligned and spaced out, the anti rotate doesn't catch on the bung on the frame so I need to extend the bung. Eventually I may weld on an extension but right now I just plan to put in 2 bolts.

a few questions:

1) what is the thread for the mirrors?
    2) Any decent dual round headlights that are already wired for the H7 and not crazy expensive?
    3) Does anyone have any extra links for the stock EK chain? Mine is one link too short for the 48 tooth rear sprocket.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that's one way to do it, but it's easy to do with a caliper spacer in combination with your axle spacer(s). like this, then you caliper bracket has full engagement with the antirotation lug.

[​IMG]
  18. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At this point I'd need to machine 2 new axle spacers and the caliper spacer...probably the better way to do it, but I think at this point it is easier for me to extend the lug. I'll use bolts for now and then will weld the extension in the near future.

19. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you do not plan on any off road you may get by with the R1 spring. I weigh 165 and found the R1 spring way to soft.
  20. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:

HAHAHA...I plan to beat the piss out of this bike off road. I'm hoping to do the Pine Barrens 300 and Rally West Virginia on it. So I will look into a beefier spring for it since you and I are roughly the same weight