Palouse Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Spaniard, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Spaniard

Spaniard Confined Traveler

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice day here in Moscow, for now anyway. Is anyone planning on going riding today? I have some chores that will keep my busy until about 9:30 AM but not much after that. Is anyone wanting to go for a ride?
  2. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I'll be at the A&W at 11:00. Flanigan Cr, via Palouse
  3. Spaniard

Oddometer:
    How long do you think it will last. The boss needs to know.
  4. thetourist

Oddometer:
    Mostly a gravel run. Can cut it short in several places and hwy back to Moscow. Never more than 15 mi from Moscow. With lunch in Palouse...4-5 hrs.
  5. thetourist

Oddometer:
    The weather held off long enough for us to get in a good ride. Neering Hill, East Cove, West Cove, a wave to the ancestors in Palouse Cemetery, a Palouse lunch, Rock Cr, Flannigan Cr, Estes Rd and back into Moscow just in time for a few sprinkles to hit my visor.

We did just over 100 mi within 15 mi of Moscow. Not much traffic. The roads are in good shape.

I was shocked to see my Grandfathers well maintained farm house was gone. Not just the house but the orchard and garden, the lawn with the big shade trees, all the out bldgs and the big barn where I played. Replaced by a truly ugly box of a house with no eves, porches or window trim. Very sad.

The skies were gloomy so I didn't use the camera, but the riding was good.
  6. wadel

wadel Not n00b

Oddometer:
    MrVintage: I hung out with James, Don and Bob last night. Got to hear first hand about the run to the cabin. :lol3 We'll have to get out on some rides with those guys.

A couple days ago, I went in search of a covered bridge I'd seen many years ago while putting around in my truck (you might remember the bridge from the cover of the local phone book a few years ago). Here is a nice Palouse river oxbow on the way:
    [​IMG]
    Finally got across the river:
    [​IMG]
    Here it is. Unfortunately, it's now a private bridge on private property so this is as close as i could get.
    [​IMG]
  7. wadel

wadel Not n00b

Oddometer:
  8. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys and Gals... if you haven't made the run over to Palouse Falls this year... the falls are super this time of the year.. We drove from Clarkston through Pomeroy, Dodge Jct., Starbuck to Palouse Falls. Then return route was Wastucna, Hay, Central Ferry, back roads to Pomeroy and then on home to Clarkston... Great Day!!

the falls
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/p/plumnuts_PalouseFalls409H.jpg

The wife's and my bikes at Central Ferry Park at the Snake River

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/p/plumnuts_PalouseFalls409P.jpg
  9. Spaniard

Oddometer:
    You are right. I made a trip to Palouse Falls two weeks ago and it was awesome. Lots of Marmots running around and barking. The view was great and the ride was perfect. If anyone is planning to make a trip you should post it. I wouldn't mind going again.
  10. Mr. Vintage

Mr. Vintage Family Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Wadel, great job with the ride photos. I tracked down the covered bridge a few years ago after seeing it on the phone book cover. I still haven't met you but our bikes must know each other from parking next to one another at work. :D

Everyone: I'm planning a trip to Joseph for lunch on May 9 (birthday ride!). It will be mostly twisty asphalt roads with the Spiral Highway, Asotin Grade, Rattesnake Grade, and perhaps a loop through Troy on the way back. Let's meet at the Sage Bakery in Uniontown at 8:30am (I'll be there early for a scone!).

Anyone from the valley interested? We could certainly meet somehwere...

Route: http://tinyurl.com/d3vx5v
  11. wadel

wadel Not n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in tagging along. I'll keep my eyes on this thread. What about the rest of the CPD guys?
  12. IsettaBob

IsettaBob Isetta loving fool

Oddometer:
    Count me in. Looking forward to tacking the Rattlesnake grade!
  13. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I won't be sure til a couple of days before, but I may want to ride along.
  14. Spaniard

Oddometer:
    I believe that is the weekend before finals so I am not sure that I will be able to make it. But I am definitely going to try.

Also, is anyone up for a ride today. My wife has a dance conference that she needs to go to my day just opened up. I don't have a route planned so if you have one that you would like to go on that would be awesome. If not, I'll try to plan something when I get back from doing the chores.

Hey Tourist (AKA the Tour Guide) do you have any suggestions?
  15. thetourist

Oddometer:
    I'm working today. :huh

How about...North to Viola- turn left.
    wander to pavement-turn right.
    Go to Palouse - right toward Potlatch
    Rt at the edge of town...by the RR tracks. Palouse River Rd (I think).
    At hwy95 head south.
    Left at the Lindsey Farm (on the flat) or at Walser Farm (at the base of Crooks Hill, where we turned left toward Palouse). I think the signs are Rudd Road these days. A nice little loop.

OR...

Head toward Robinson Park - bear left at the park.
    Aim east and skirt Moscow Mountain. Up and down and curvy roads thru the trees.
    Lions Rd, Randall Flats, Big Meadow Rd into Troy.
    South end of Troy bear right to Kendrick then Rt to Julietta.
    In the center of Julietta turn rt up the hill.
    Will tee at the Genesee Julietta Rd. left to Genesee...rt to Lenville Rd and Moscow.
  16. Mr. Vintage

Oddometer:
    TheTourist (aka TourGuide aka Dickepedia) comes through, as always!

Sorry, can't join you guys today. Sick kid, in-laws visiting, piano recital, wife on case for spending all my time in the shop with my Italian girlfriend (I call her guzzi!), etc. Have fun!

Looking forward to the 9th already... :ricky
  17. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Hey Jeff, when are you coming back up to the lake. Tell your Grandpa we said Hi.
  18. Mr. Vintage

Oddometer:
    Bump...

I got the Guzzi back together late last night, and of course it's snowing this morning. :baldy
  19. wadel

wadel Not n00b

Oddometer:
    Didn't stop me from riding to work. :rofl (of course, I have a 2 mile commute).
  20. Spaniard

Oddometer:
    Saturday is supposed to be in the mid 60s. Sounds like it could be perfect time to take it out for a scenic cruise. :wink: