Seat height questions

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dirtbiker, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a 2013 f800gs, it has standard seat. I'm wondering if anyone owns a current Adv. F800GS with a low seat, (optional).

I'm assuming the standard seat might be the same the low seat. Right now, I'm looking to up grade. The comfort seat is too high. My inseam is 30". Any opinions of the low seat option??
  2. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had four seats.
    I'll say the standard seat=0
    The low is 1.25" lower.
    The Sargent World Sport seat is .25" higher.
    The BMW Comfort seat is .50" higher.

I just sold the low seat to a friend so I had made these measurements for him. I liked the low seat and thought it was comfortable but too cramped for my knees.
  3. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too have a 30" inseam. My bike is a "factory-lowered" 2013 F800GS and it came with the low seat. In spite of folks often saying it's uncomfortable, I don't find it so. And I've comfortably ridden over 45,000 km with it so far.

Still can't flat-foot the bike though and on level ground I'm on the balls of my feet. But I'm used to it and love everything about it.

What do you mean by "I'm assuming the standard seat might be the same low seat"? The F800GSA is available with a standard OR low seat.

When you say you're looking to upgrade, are you talking about upgrading your seat or the bike? (The fact you mention a GSA suggests you might be looking at the bike.)

Even with low seat, the GSA is too tall for me. Way too tall.

4. Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Well, the upgrade could be a adventure or r1200gs. I'm leaning get to a r1200gs easier to flat foot.
  5. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the low and now a Seat concepts. Low was nice for my 30" inseam, but was too dished to be really comfortable over long rides.

The Seatconcepts is the same hieght at the front as the standard, but shaped to get rid of the slope of the BMW standard (if that makes sense). So the front is the same but the back is lower than the standard.
  6. Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    So it's comfortable? I'll look into it. I'd like to go with an adventure f800gs, but it's taller than my f800gs, unless I go with the low seat. I'll look into seat concepts.
  7. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On related note, I mailed Seat Concepts last week since they mentioned on their website that they have a touring F800GS seat in the works. It's supposedly dished slightly wider and slightly lower than the comfort seat, and is supposed to be uhm, more comfortable. I should call them up next week to see what the status is about that.
  8. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me, on longer rides yes. I would put an airhawk on the BMW low seat for anything over 30 min. I still use the airhawk with the new seat but only if I am riding anywhere over 3 hrs-all day long.

One thing I didn't do but should have, was get the one with a grippier cover. I got the carbon fiber looking cover and it's a bit too slippery sometimes. But I deal with it.
  9. Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm going to get into contact with seat concepts, this week sometime. If they use a much firmer foam, it may be the ticket, for a comfortable ride. Thanks so much for the information.