3 Weeks in Alaska...Recommendations Please!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Drumboy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Drumboy

Drumboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up to Alaska this June and we'll have about 3 weeks to ride starting/ending in northern Idaho.

There will be 3 of us, 2 on KLR's and one on a Super Tenere. ST guys wants to do Deadhorse but we've told him that he'll have to do it alone as we'd rather spend some time in Kenai.

Any can't-miss routes/sites/parties that we need to hit up?
  2. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you've never been to Alaska, riding to Deadhorse and becoming a member of The Polar Bear Club by jumping in the Arctic Ocean is a must do. If you been already then it's optional. I liked Valdez the best. It's really beautiful there. Hatcher Pass is a cool road and can be included on most any route going north. I was there in July of 2007. Planning on going back again this coming summer (maybe). Trying to remember all the places we went then, Homer Spit was a cool little area. We were going to Chena Hot Springs but on a recommendation of a local (said it was a touristy spot) we detoured to Valdez. Buy the "Milepost" it's the only publication you need for Alaska info.
  3. Drumboy

Drumboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard that once you get past Fairbanks 2 day each way of boring riding on a muddy road full of 18 wheelers, is that true? I'd love to do it one day, but with our time constraints I'd really rather get the best bang for the buck each day...
  4. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would vote for that if I was doing it again. Wait, I did vote for that when we went, and we still went to Deadhorse :huh
    It's cool to say "Arctic Ocean" when people ask how far into Alaska we went, but after looking at "Cool things seen / (miles ridden * brake pads and bearings trashed)" Valdez, Denali highway and Kenai Peninsula will be a better trip.

Edit:
    Yes it's true. It took us about three days round trip from Fairbanks.
    The scenery is pretty nice up to twenty miles past Atigun Pass, then it's 200 miles of nothing to the end.

Edit again:

Lots of this in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Lots of this at the end:
    [​IMG]
  5. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much a true statement. Not boring though, wide open spaces, plenty to look at and clear your thoughts. I daydreamed/scanned road terrain most of the day and enjoyed the scenery unless a truck was near then I was back at attention. If you watch for the truckers, slow down and get way to your side, wave, they usually try to give you a little bit of a break and not cover you in mud. You can camp at Coldfoot instead of getting a room in the motel. It's a communal shower/bathroom in the hotel so you can still shower, etc. if you're camping. If you're cool, you can do a day run from Coldfoot to Deadhorse and back (240 miles each way, a guy on a FJR with street tires did just that). There is no camping in Deadhorse due to the security and polar bears. You need to plan ahead and reserve a room for your arrival date. If you want to get all the way to the Arctic, you have to do it by the bus and sign up the evening before so they can run your information for security. Admittedly, it's is a nice chunk of time, Atigun Pass is pretty awesome. After we did it in 2007, we said if we come back up we would pass on the run to Deadhorse but were glad we did do it. Now im thinking about a solo trip from South Florida to Alaska, to include Deadhourse.
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought..? If you are planning on a june ride....search out D2D in the Alaska section. A great event for sure. Then if you wanted to, ride up the Dempster, supposed to be a better ride than the deadhorse ride. I haven't done the Deadhorse but from that pic, I'll say the Dempster is better, scenery wise. You'll end up in Inuvik, the furthest you can ride in Canada. Nope sorry, can't touch the Arctic Ocean, still a far way up from there. But it is a great ride. But the D2D is something to do for sure. 2 summers ago 170 adventure riders from all over the North Americian continent showed up! Kinda strange, that many riders all thinking the same thing at the same time. I guess something like a hog rally....lol But with class....lol
    You have to ride through Dawson City any way I think so if you can time it right, june 20th I think this year. If you can, make sure you start booking rooms or a campsite, they go fast.
    Hope to see you there.....:freaky
  7. aquadog

aquadog Dude Buddha

Oddometer:
    Alaska is over populated... just sayin'... :D Vote for the Dempster, it keeps changing, more diverse, more mountain ranges.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    You want to post this in Regional Forums - the Alaska Forum.
    The 'locals' will be more than willing to tell what's great and cool.
    They are a helpful group.
  9. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Denali why is the best road. I was just there this past year.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Hi Drumboy,

I lived in Fairbanks for many years. The biggest mistake I saw visitors with limited time make was a fixation on riding to Deadhorse. There are other roads to ride that offer much better experiences. For example: the Elliot Hwy to Manley Hot Springs; Steese Hwy to Central/Circle; Denali Hwy, McCarthy/Kennicott Mine; Hatcher Pass; Taylor Hwy to Eagle; and Petersville Road. Maybe a ride up the Dalton to the Arctic Circle / Wiseman is worth the effort. Riding to Deadhorse is swell, but not at the expense of missing everything else the state has to offer.

As mentioned above you should do some research of this forum and the AK forum as well as asking questions over on the AK forum. The D2D suggestion is also a good one and will take you on part of the Taylor Hwy and the Top of the World Hwy.

So, don;t get wrapped up feeling you are a lesser rider if you don't punch the Prudhoe ticket. Getting there is not such a huge accomplishment that it should be done to the exclusion of better rides. Just some of the people I saw make it to Prudhoe and back include: two 70 year old grandmothers riding 2-up on a scooter; a 75 year old man who started riding at 74 on a 250 Honda Rebel; Goldwing pulling a trailer; a Yamaha R1.... in February; an FJR in under 6 hours, in the rain; Harleys; BMW RTs and GTs.
  11. phplemel

phplemel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be just outside your timetable, but would love to see you here!
    http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1233.0
  12. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I was there last year. Denali hwy and the glenallen were my favorite.
  13. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Glennallen.... Favorite....? Probably the first time those to words were ever associated. :rofl