Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dirt donkey

dirt donkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes - he makes a good seat at a reasonable price. he can also change the foam/air ratio for lighter riders. I had him do that on my WRR - rider weight (160lbs). And he can make the seat lower as well and adding gel. Best to talk to him. Renazco alls makes an excellent seat but expect to pay about twice as much... for a cheapo UJM motorcycle i would say SC is good, if you want better than perhaps renazco. haven't personally used it but i see them alot on KTMs.

I went to Seat Concepts place about two years ago when he was building them out of his garage. I watched him build the seat and put it together - Really nice guy. He has since moved nearby in a space waaaay bigger...

Not sure what he currently has for covers, but i think the carbon fiber seat material looks the best on the sides and top. I originally ordered a two tone cover and after looking at it on the bike i changed my mind. he graciously went ahead and switched it out for me. Not sure who ended up with my original choice?
  2. dirt donkey

dirt donkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so far i got a kenda spare 21" standard for the front and rear. But after listening to all the (horror) stories about PSR and flats i am thinking i need an 18" rear inner tube?

? do i need to get a heavy duty innertube to be on the safe side. I don't weigh much and i usually (noob) ride with way too much air pressure?30psi front and rear would be my guess?
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    30 psi, your going to kill yourself:eek1:eek1
  4. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    2 weeks!:freaky

I'm trucking, and will be bringing:
    12x12 EZ-Up
    2 tables, 1 big , 1 not so big
    Extra camp chairs
    A couple, three coolers, if anybody needs to store stuff, I mean, keep their beer cold.
    Coleman camp stove
    Tools

Is wood covered? or should I go get a (partial) bed load?

Does anybody in the west Ventura County area need gear hauled? I plan on leaving at 0'dark:30 Thursday morning, so I'd need your gear Wednesday night. More than willing to haul gear, or if you want to carpool, I got room. Think Crew Cab F350. And, it's a 4x4, so it's available for rescue duty, hopefully not needed.

If there's anything else I can do to help, give me a shout and send me a PM with what you need, or contact info.

Dave
  5. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Well, you don't need to worry about pinch flats.
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Your profile says you have a Tiger XC and a WRR. I assume you're bringing the latter. You'll have more fun offroad.
    Yes, an 18" spare is a great idea and easy to carry. Cheap insurance. Or maybe someone in your group needs it. If you're driving it doesn't hurt to have a couple of extra tubes. The issue with DV is that the distances are great and there's nothing out there. So you don't want to be sitting out in the middle of BFE with a flat tire.

Joel is right though, the heavier bikes are more prone to pinch flats from the sharp rocks.

The WRR should be happy at 20lbs of air. You'll get a lot better grip on dirt and sand and your'e bike won't slip out from under you.
  7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    15 psi max:huh
  8. Spank

Spank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those having problems ordering t-shirt with a CC and no paypal account, the issue's been fixed.
    :clap
  9. dirt donkey

dirt donkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the tiger 800 xc stays home where it won't due damage to me or itself. Just put the AltRider Crash Bars in so i was toying with the idea of dragging the T800XC + WRR so they could keep each other company? However: what's the point when i have the (dirt donkey) WR250R.Looking forward to ghost riding it down the dunes!

Yah i will bring the 18" innertube as a backup and i will take a fairly well used Michelin T63 21" front tire with me (tread about 50% through) if anyone gets into an emergency pinch (pun intended) and wants a free tire. ordering up the Michelin desert racing 90/90/21 tomorrow.

Lastly - was thinking of putting together a tool box for the motos or flip flopping to a Kriega tool roll http://www.kriega.com/tool-roll/ i own a bunch of Kriega stuff so i think it is a no brainer? didn't really need to get a tool box for the moto tools and the kreiga roll. I typically don't wrench on the bike, just small stuff like farkling, tire changing in the field and emergency tools plus - DIY oil changes, etc.

For the record i really like my kreiga r15 hydration pack - should be perfect for the DS ride, its a little shy on space, but it fits so well the bag doesn't sit so low that it intereferes with crap i have tied down on long tarmac rides.
  10. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    You are #1 on the list for wood, Slugdad (#2) and I (#3) are each bringing 1/2 truck loads.

So there is room for more #4 on list is blank.

:freaky

11. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    When are you heading out of the 'nard. which way are you heading up to DV? Maybe hookup and cruise together.
  12. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    brian, please see post #2. i just updated it.

folks, i will have a phone # for emergency calls and will post the number later.

will entrust that phone to someone (non-riding) who will be most likely in camp most of the time.....dsm8, lonestar or buster714
  14. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I heard that there may be a wet head at DV this year. It will be a last minute thing but........................

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I can't say anymore!
  15. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>24
    Sun
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>25
    Mon
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>26
    Tue

</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>27
    Wed
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>28
    Thur
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>29
    Fri
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>30
    Sat
    </TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#000000 height=60 width="14.3%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" height=60><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; FONT-FAMILY: arial,verdana,sans-serif; COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 11px" vAlign=top>31
    Sun

</TD><TD style="COLOR: #ffffff; FONT-SIZE: 10px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:clap
  16. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    Does this mean I can have your old bike? :D
  17. dirt donkey

dirt donkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do we need to bring food for breakfast and lunches or is everyone just paying and going to the cafeteria?
  18. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    PSR has a cafe and serves breakfast (buffet) and lunch. If you are out for the day bring water, lunch and snacks. Good idea to have an emergency bar in case you get stuck somewhere.
  19. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI... PSR has good food but can be a bit slow, especially with so many people around. So give extra time if you are trying to make a specific ride start.
  20. trailjammer

trailjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is amazing! I'm bummed I can't make it this year, but Trailjammer Designs and myself will be there in spirit. Hope everyone has a super fun and safe trip. DV is one of my favorite locations. Thanks for all your hardwork on this Joel! Trailjammer Designs is happy to support you all.
    -Cain
    Trailjammer Designs.