Honda Updates PCX and Metropolitan Scooters

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cbolling, Apr 3, 2012.

1. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I wish he'd knock it off with that tmax stuff.

:norton
  2. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't believe any body is making fun of the T-max. Its him they are making fun of.:evil
  3. SPOFF

SPOFF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ Casey Jones: 62 mph on a PCX requires gravity assist. I'm probably 215 lbs in full riding gear but the PCX doesn't struggle. If the road is 50 to 55 mph, I'm good to go. I'm just amazed how I can ride at 8 mph with the clutch fully engaged. I've spent the last 40 years on motorcycles that won't go less than 10-15 mph without slipping the clutch. (And then there was that Ducati that wouldn't go less than 70 mph.) The PCX handles nearly as good as the Ducati, just slower :rofl
  4. SPOFF

SPOFF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've read idle/stop was removed by request of DOT. But we still get the crankshaft mounted combined alternator/starter. That's cool: a silent starter that works on a single engine revolution.
  5. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Yes!

I'd seen it in very-small applications...the 50cc Ruckus.

I have seen it in very BIG applications...General Electric's diesel locomotives start that way.

Why isn't it universal? Since the alternator is mounted directly to the crankshaft, why not eliminate a few dozen parts and put the charger to double duty?
  6. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    doesn't almost every golf cart in the world have the idle/stop feature... I know it's not as developed as Mazda's and honda's but still its very common and not new technology at all.
  7. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I don't know about golf carts today. Thirty-five years ago, I was a kid working on a golf course...the course used Harley-Davidson carts, and yeah, the so-called "alternator" doubled as a starter. Step on the gas, and the thing would crank the engine - through a vee-belt a little thicker than a rubber band. Supposedly, charged through the same motor.

Those things spent a lot of time on battery chargers when not in use. Harley-Davidson at that time was part of AMF, and quality was something the admen were required to insert in copy. And nothing else.

Anyway...it was the same principle but very, very crude and unworkable for a transportation device a user depends on.
  8. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I really like the PCX. My main problem with it is that I just don't fit very well. From all accounts that I am aware of it is faster and gets better mileage than my Zuma 125.

But the Zuma has a long single seat that lets me stretch out my 34" inseam and basically sit in the back seat. The PCX has a stepped seat so I have to sit in one spot and that spot is just too damn close to the front for me to be comfortable. Not to mention, I look like a moron with my knees all bent like that.
  9. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I would imagine a system like this requires a higher output battery, as there is no gear reduction involved, no?
  10. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    I'm a locomotive engineer, not an electrical engineer. But to the best of my knowledge, the GE Rail locomotive applications are direct-drive off the secondary alternator - which is connected by a shaft extension off the engine crankshaft. The battery on those things is actually a power-pack that provides 74 volts...a series of lead-acid batteries. Newer models may use different battery technologies; I haven't been on a new GE since 2007. (I work on a short line now, with ancient equipment).

The Harley-Davidson golf-cars, as I mentioned, used belt-driven alternator-starter motors, with a pulley stepdown that looked about 2:1 (when cranking; generator spun twice as fast as the engine). Battery was one twelve-volt car battery, IIRC.

I don't know how/what the Ruckus or PCX use or do.
  11. Hardguy

Hardguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the MSRP for the 2013 PCX 150 is set at $3449 which is only $50 more than the 2011 PCX 125!
  12. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only "pedal-start" gas carts use the starter-generator to make the engine stop when the accelerator is released. They dont require heavier duty batteries, but if they aren't kept in a good state of tune, they suck.

They also make "key-start" units , which work more like a traditional car, and are far less convenient when used for golf or any stop and go type use.

In California, golf courses no longer can use gas engined carts, so here in the Golden State, gas is going theway of the 8-track.

(I'm a golf-cart salesman....seriously. Our shop also handles Kymco and Genuine scooters)
  13. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    as far as i have seen you can pretty easily de-limit a pcx 125 for more speed, lots of info on forums and vids on youtube
  14. haildamage

haildamage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool, please show me which are snake oil and which give real performance gains!

what is the easy way to de-limit or derestrict a PCX125?:ear
  15. LarryRickenbacker

LarryRickenbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy,

125cc, 150cc..either way one can't lose with the PCX. I figure that the PCX 125 will be marked down, given the slight price difference vs. the PCX 150. YMMV. Only downside to the PCX is those skinny tires; enough to give me pause for ownership here in my adopted home state of Louisiana-home of America's worst roads.