49 state versus 50 state bikes?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by optimum_malarky, Jun 7, 2011.

1. optimum_malarky

optimum_malarky Premium nonsense

Oddometer:
    How can one determine if a bike is legal in California with the more stringent emissions standards? I have my eye on a sweet bike in WA, but I don't know if I can register it in California. Where can I find out about this? Advice needed, please! (2003 SV 1000 naked)
  2. Spuds

Spuds On my way home

Oddometer:
  3. Midranger

Midranger n00b

Oddometer:
    So I have to ask because it looks like you were successful with your SV1000 but I also have found an out of state SV1000N and it has less than the required 7500 miles. . . what do I need to do to import this to California ? and is it 50 state/CA emissions compliant ?

Do I just buy and register as a new vehicle ?

thank you !
  4. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It needs to have the calif emissions sticker (if it only says federal and/or doesn't say Calif it isn't Calif legal). DMV will look at the bike and if it isn't there you are out of luck. It needs to have 75001 miles on the odometer (when purchased). If ya can get the seller to write up the mileage on a bill of sale then ride or drill up the mileage before ya go to DMV you'll be Ok, but again they will look at it. I don't know of any legal way around it all. I guess ya could claim ya inherited it?
  5. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    As mentioned it needs the CARB emission cert sticker. Some brands have a 50 state VIN.

The biggest change on late model bikes is the inclusion of the closed fuel tank vapor system, of which the most noticeable part is the charcoal canister.

As said you can "import" a vehicle into the state with more then 7500 miles. Or you can import a bike that has had the odometer replaced, the DMV then marks the title as having an Odometer that doesn't match the mileage on the bike.
    Which is what happened to me when imported a bike from Alaska.
  6. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best suggestion I have had, from a local Moto-Cop chatting about my Royal Enfield:

Replace the odo with one with 7500+ miles. You just rode it a lot on the way back to CA, didn't you? :evil
  7. digger2

digger2 A cad & a bounder

Oddometer:
    Which is what I did with my royal enfield. They were very helpfull, even answered all my questions ahead of time via e mail. No sales tax between private sales there either. Ca will not even bother with e mails!.

At some point i will get it titled in Ca. Once you own it the 7000 mile issue goes away. just not sure how long i need to own it though
  8. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so. Even if you owned and had the bike registered in your name in another state, they (= CA DMV) will still insist on seeing either a "Meets Federal and California emissions" sticker on the bike OR >7500mi on the odometer.

Also, if you owned the vehicle in that other state for less than 12 months they will also collect "use tax" on the purchase price. No matter if you originally bought from a dealer or from a private party.
    Although they don't have a way to verify your stated purchase price... :evil

--
    Mikko
  9. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, you can buy one exempt from emissions stuff if it is to replace a vehicle that was Stolen, Broke Down, etc while in another state. So if your 1993 ninja 250 with no fairing or engine was scrapped in nevada, you would be in the clear :evil