1999 Beta Alp questions

Discussion in 'Trials' started by CodeMonkee, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, we'll see.

I have a bad back and neck, mostly the result of flipping a car end for end, twice, with no seat belts - and riding can really kill my shoulder's and neck, and if I stand bent over for more than a few minutes it kills me.

Anyway, like I sad, we'll see - eventually. I need to get some gear, a ramp for my truck, and some gas as this thing apparently needs high octane. Why in the world do trials bikes have such high compression?? :huh
  2. Pro_Marinero

Pro_Marinero Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    Do a google search for buttrest. You'll find it at the top.

I don't have risers, I have Renthal trials bars with a 6" rise. Actually I do have risers- the cheapo ones on eBay for the txt bikes. I think they're an inch. I don't find any issues with handling. I run them at a neutral position. If I want to quicken the steering I'll rotate them forward a hair.
  3. Pro_Marinero

Oddometer:
    If you're riding it right your back and neck won't work, but your knees will. The bend should be all there.

Actually compression is pretty low. It's more in the advance curve that the octane becomes an issue. You could retard the timing a little or get the higher octane stuff. There's a whole thread in here where we argued about avgas vs race gas. I'm an avgas guy, but my next can of gas will be trying out some Torko Unleaded Accelerator. Way cheaper than race gas and lead-free.

Don't know how heavy that Alp is but I've quit bringing a ramp with me for getting the GG in and out of the truck. It's light enough to do without (grab rear wheel over top, lift and back front wheel to tailgate, drop rear wheel, drop front wheel).
  4. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Believe me - it doesn't take much to do me in. I am up right now because I can't sleep because of leg pain caused by my back.

13:1 is low?

I know its a 2 stroke so there is effective compression losses due to port timing and so on, but still, it requires high octane gas that I can't get at most gas stations.

Uh, yeah, not going to happen. Here is my truck:

[​IMG]

That bed is a good 40 inches high. If I sneeze I can throw my back out - I am not going to try to lift a 200 pound bike up over my waist.
  5. Pro_Marinero

Oddometer:
    You need a ramp. :lol3

Where did you find that spec for compression? Even the hi-po pro trials bikes aren't 13:1, more like 9.5:1. I believe it's calculated from the top of the ports, not bottom of stroke. There is some good info here regarding octane rating and pump gas boosters. He recommends race gas, but I'm too cheap to buy $12/gal gas so I've gone the avgas route and will try Torco in the future.
  6. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Yup. There is a method to my madness though; gonna turn that into an RV.

The tech manual for the Techno 250cc (Type 6605 the engine I am told the Alp has) lists it as 13:1 compression.

I was at the local bike shop after work and they had some "racing gas" that was $20 to $30 per gallon.

The manual says run "super grade" (no octane numbers).
  7. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    I run E0 92 octane in my 2 stroke race bikes and my Berg. There is a gas station in Hillsboro that sells E0 and one in Carlton. My bikes seem to run better without ethanol and the gas lasts much longer.
  8. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW I ran super unleaded (Sunoco Ultra 94) in both my Alp's and never had any issues.
  9. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
  10. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    The best we can do around here is maybe 92 or 93.
  11. jjohn82

jjohn82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info
  12. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    This is interesting:

http://www.studiofase.it/design/1997/1997.html

[​IMG]

Translation:

Naturally I've heard of the Alp before - often discussed here and elsewhere. Never heard of the ST.
  14. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I like it! Passenger pegs and a beefy looking subframe. Some kind of a seat and it's the ultimate "take the kids exploring in the woods" bike.
  15. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    With the seat:

[​IMG]
  16. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    My "kids" are too big to ride as passengers on this bike. Both are 6' tall and would need a bike of their own.
  17. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Something I noticed today while wheeling it around in the driveway; the chain is adjusted tight as a drum. IMO that is not good. Unless there is something different about Trials bikes I am going to give it some slack.
  18. motojunky

Oddometer:
    The seat is great. I want one. My kids are still perfectly sized for such shenanigans. :D

[​IMG]
  19. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    From what I understand you can get a seat/tank for the Montesa Cota 4RT or the Beta Evo or Rev 3.
  20. motojunky

Oddometer:
    Yep. One is available for my Scorpa too. No passenger pegs or street legal potential though. I'd seen the newer 4S Alp previously but this is the first I've seen the 2S. I'm not going to go out hunting for one but if one were to pop up locally I'd be very interested. Looks like a nice find - I think you'll enjoy it.