ADVRIDER round the world mascot relay?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by GazzaFish, Sep 9, 2007.

1. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now heres a thought. Be pretty cool if we bought a small mascot. Something like a stuffed toy etc (although it would have to be pretty tough) and then all ADV riders simply passed it on from one trip to the next trip to see how many places the mascot could go to. If this has already been done, please let me know the thread... Sort of a Relay like the olympic flame...

Couple of rules/guidelines....
    - All people carrying the mascot must be an ADVrider.com member.
    - The mascot must ride by bike where possible. Obviously there may be a few plane/boat trips in there from country to country.
    - the riders must record how many K's the mascot has done during their part of the relay.
    - All ADV riders who carry the mascot must add there comments and photos to the ever growing trip report.
    - All photo's posted MUST include the mascot...:wink:

just a tought. Anyone want to add something, any ideas???? I wonder if we could get it around the world and I wonder how many different hands it can be passed to.:clap
    arghhh likes this.
  2. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a pretty kool idea eh mate! :clap

So far, reading back over the thread, here is what I have put together for volunteer riders for specific states/regions: (Please feel free to team-up, go on rides together, this is a team effort. Hopefully many of us can cover areas to ride together and pass the pig along.)

WAYY North:
    AK!!: kodiakfrank

South:
    North Georgia: helixblue
    Texas: dangerz
    N. Texas, OK, LA, AR: Krusty

East:
    North Carolina: SgtMike
    VA (and surrounding): Shoganai :clap

In between:
    Wisconsin & MN: gonzomup
    Michigan: ChuckS

West:
    Bay Area: srileo
    Rockies: eaglefeather and myself (komito)
    CA, NV, UT, or AZ: Stonewall

The land of Oz
    Melbourne: justAL (Just about to anywhere :evil )

Please copy/paste and add if you would like to be contacted when the ride through your area happens!

I will post this on the front page of my first post, to bring to the attention of other first time readers. Thanks for getting involved, everyone!
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also maybe a limit on the # of miles each rider can carry the mascot may make it more interesting.:wink:
  4. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    By passing on to another ADVrider member, do you mean personally handed off or sent by mail?

It would be great to hand it off personally and see where the mascot made it's transitions from country to country. :thumb

Neat idea. :clap
  5. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    It would have to be personally handed to the next ADV rider. Actually, might have to include the photo of each exchange????:evil

Be nice to be one of the names in the 'guiness book of records' entry of the 'most consecutive miles covered by a stuffed toy by motorcycle' category. :clap :clap

I think a limit to the number of miles would be a good 'rule of thumb' but i would also imagine that some remote areas may need a longer ride than others. Be nice to log on each few days and see what the mascot has been up to....:wink:

Be a nice way for all ADV riders to be part of a 'RTW' trip without actually having to leave their own state...
  6. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet "IndiYeah & SveriYeah!!"

Oddometer:
    Im already diggin the idea. Lets get it rolling.
  7. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    OK. If we're get this going, first thing we need to do is decide what sort of mascot we should get. Needs to be something that represents an 'Advrider':evil

Maybe a stuffed crocodile/Aligator?

They are :-
    - Cunning
    - World wide distribution....sort of
    - Feared
    - been around for millions of years
    - TOUGH!:clap

......hahaaa
  8. CRW

CRW I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    But is stuffed the way to go? Maybe rubber? It would stand up to the seasons/weather better. (You think your boots smell bad after a 3 day ride .)Then it could ride shotgun on bars or something.

How about a Rubber Duckie?

Tuff,visable,nearly indestructable......
    Loved or hated buy most.
  9. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    So GazzaFish, you are in a good line of thought with the croc/alligator. The mascot should depict the true character of an adventure rider, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, proclivities, etc... And doesn't necessarily have to be an animal, it could be an idea, a thing, a person even...

We could set it up as a mission with a goal and certain rules for example:

-Ride the mascot around the world in a timely fashion, hitting all 7 cont. and places where there are ADVrider members.
    - A lead rider will set-up the local ride from Syndney to melbourne for example and then pass it along to the next advrider (set-up ahead of time), getting it to Perth will be fun!!
    - Establish the route BEFORE it starts and keep it on a timeline. Collect money so that shipping cost isn't the burden of the folks who have to mail it to the overseas place.

A goal could be, having it end in the Middle East region to promote world wide peace there. Showing that a culture as ours spans the globe, across many countries, customs, religions, peoples, etc...

Maybe we should set-up a committee??
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    Cool. I really dont care if the mascot is a stuffed toy or something else. I think it needs to be some kind of person or animal so at least we can name 'him/her'. make it much easier for the comments in the trip report explaining where him/her have been etc..

Yeah, I think a planned route BEFORE the start would be a must have. I think the route should be 'roughly' planned but not necessarily in concrete as we'd need to ensure that it sort of fit in with ADV riders actual planned trips etc.. I.e. If we said it had to go from Melbourne to Perth, Wether it went North through Alice Springs first or not doesnt really matter in my books as long as it eventually gets to Perth etc...:D

I like the idea of trying to get to all 7 continents. Is there any place where there is a list of where the majority of ADV riders live? I know on the horizons unlimited website they have a locality map showing how many members are in each city etc....???

Might be useful when planning the route.

and the planning begins.......:evil
  13. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    We're involved in something similar right now... Shog’s 100ccc lives ...relaying a banner across country.

We've been mapping it's route and posing it for pictures next to landmarks and goofy stuff. Maybe it will give you some ideas, or you can join in if you can help out! :wink:
  14. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    So there is THIS ADV map, however, I don't know how accurate it is, but its a start.

So to start we should create a beginning checklist:

- Pick a mascot and a name
    - Pick the starting place, obviously with you GazzaFish, and an ending, a timeframe and a goal
    - Post threads in regional forums to see who would like to be involved in the rides as lead riders, they help to organize the rides from Point A to Point B, etc..

A suggestion, what about a Cariboo, they are adventurers themselves, travel long distances, endure hardships and travel into the unknown everyday following the course of their life... another thought.

What do you think about these ideas?
  15. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    Komito, All good suggestions. The map is great but i think its a fair bit out of date as I think if im looking correct that it only shows 2 ADVriders in Australia!!!

I think we need to establish some sort of committee. Dont want to be formal but like you suggested, maybe we need a 'lead' from at least each continent to start with. this person would then try organsie for the mascot to get accross their continent. I.e. work out a rough route and then try get ADVriders to tag team it accross...

Maybe we should ask the regional forums??

Im happy to buy the mascot and i even think if we play our cards right, we could probably get one donated if they knew where it was going to travel. It would be quite good publicity for a stuff toy manufacturer to be able to say that their product was tough enough for 100,000 K's around the world on a motor bike.. :D

OK, I am happy to put my name against 'Australia' and say that I'll try my hardest to organise this continent. Any takers for other continents??

maybe im jumping ahead too fast, need a mascot with a name first.....

I'm more than happy for anyone to add to this, change the rules etc.... whatever it takes to try make something happen....
  16. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    GazzaFish, I agree that the map seems unfulfilled. taking the task to the regional forums would be great. I can assist in North America and organize the travel through this continent.

On continents, whose going to cover Antarctica?, Closest to you, eh mate?

I agree that we could probably get someone to sponsor the mascot as it would be kool advertising.

I researched some other animals as well: arctic tern, experiences the longest migration of any animal , covering nearly half the earth once a year flying from the Artic to the Antarctic. They travel in groups to do this, so it kinda fits "our" culture, in a way with the adventure travel.

What would we want to focus on as character traits? Do we want a land dwelling animal? What kind of animal is adventurous? Ideas, anyone...
  17. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I already have the perfect Mascot.

[​IMG]

A little shy at first...

[​IMG]

Sometimes found in trees.

[​IMG]

A true Jo Mommacin, may I present......

[​IMG]

the Mooning Gnome. :clap:kat:tush
  18. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Fixed.

Remind you of anyone recently?

Fat Toney's Teabagging Thread... :lol3
  19. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    sandiegoland, this is hilarious and probably would fit the ADV in true spirit, eh!! That is great.

Realistically, I would assume, this is something that if we wanted to make a mascot for ADV we should put it to vote for members to decide on. Would this be an option?

What about a WOLF, at times, they travel in packs, other times alone. They live in the wild and partake in adventures daily to survive and hunt, yet care for their families and others.

Also according to Wikipedia, they are more prevalent in one form or another around the world, whereas crocs are seen in the south pacific, asia and north american market. What about a WOLF???
  20. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    A wolf would be cool.:D The mooning gnome would also fit nicely. Maybe we need to make a short list of about 4 or 5 mascots and then get a quick vote on which one from the list.

I'll start the list

1. Mooning Gnome
    2. Wolf of some sort
    3. Crocodile/Aligator

I reckon we should try limit the list to about 5 items and then vote.

Not sure about Antarctica. Anyone know of anyone that actually rides bikes in Antarctica??? If we knew of someone down there with a bike, we could possably post the mascot over there, take it for a ride and then mail it back....Might be the best we could do...