Hacking West by West: The TAT….

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    TAT-the Return

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Foreword: <o:p></o:p>
    If you are reading this site for the first time&#8230;you may want to read the beginning on this page&#8230;.OR for those who have followed my TAT reports in 2011, you can skip and see me re-do the TAT on page 7/#95
    <o:p></o:p>
    Report #1 through #95 were written in the summer 2011 where I attempted the TAT from Jellico, TN but bailed because of some phantom back problems and the call of &#8220;home&#8221; became too strong. <o:p></o:p>
    I am making another attempt at the TAT, from a &#8220;new&#8221; Tennessee-TAT trail head starting out of Tellico Plains, TN and will report from #95 of last years&#8217; &#8220;unfinished&#8221; report. Hope you&#8217;ll come along again for my renewed La Vida Loca Adventure of 2012. Eh, always need my adventure ride fix!<o:p></o:p>

Fashback: August 2010&#8230;
    Always wanted to run the TAT on 2 wheels with a couple of deaf guys.

[​IMG]

In 2010&#8230;within one day of our departure with my riding partner I injured my back and the trip was abruptly cancelled. After seeing the Doc who suggested/ ordered: no twisting, no jacking; no picking up a fallen bike, no jumping, etc, etc. Knowing how disappointed I was he suggested that maybe an ATV or similar would do better if I still was game to do the TAT. I mentioned my Hack, presto&#8230; got the stamp of approval.
    <o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    Within a week my previous riding partner agreed to give it another shot and we met up in Jellico, TN. He on his KTM and me on my Hack&#8230;. off we went&#8230;then.. !! ..to make a long story short the trip again didn&#8217;t materialize either. After an eventful first run I limped home and vowed to do it again in 2011.
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG][​IMG]</o:p>

Fast forward: 2011
    So now&#8230;.motorcycle physical done by Capitol BMW; 3 new tires mounted; bike and Hack stripped to bare bones; gotten in shape at the gym; doctor&#8217;s physical done and passed. I am once again on the road, this time trying to do the TAT (Trans America Trail) from Jellico, TN to ?????.... solo and via Hack.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This whole TAT obsession all started after having traveled through Trans USA/Canada, (TLH)Trans Labrador Highway-Newfoundland, Alaska and again Newfoundland that I had to add the TAT to my bucket list!
    A lot of TAT &#8220;Ride Reports&#8221; have been reported every year. TAT traffic chatter is already picking up on ADV. You also probably know by now after reading some of these many TAT stories on ADV-rider&#8217;s &#8220;Ride Report&#8221; site that the route runs across the United States via a few paved roads then mostly dirt/ gravel roads, forest roads, farm/ranch roads, mountain roads and desert trails. It drops down into dried up creek beds, fords streams, crosses rain gullies and runs atop abandoned railroad grades; climbs mountain passes&#8230;sinks into powdered sand trails&#8230;.crosses cattle guards and bridges. It tries to be an unforgiving obstacle course&#8230;an Adventure in its finest&#8230;&#8230; testing Man and Machine!
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    Originally, I had planned to get some more guys of my age group together to ride the whole TAT from Jellico, Tennessee to the beach of Port Orford, Oregon but of course as always a few guys were interested, then as time went by during the past winter, spring and early summer months numerous frivolous excuses emerged. I could wait no longer, age doesn&#8217;t wait? &#8230;.
    So let Walt Whitman echo:
    &#8220; Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing;
    &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..!
    Strong and content I travel the open road.&#8221;
    Purchased Sam&#8217;s maps and roll charts in early 2010. Dutifully entered decade old and new updated directions as &#8221;tracks&#8221; and some routes onto Garmin&#8217;s Map-Source; transferred them to the GPS and read every imaginable TAT- rr. Taking along roll charts and maps for primary navigation, GPS for secondary navigation, just in case??

[​IMG]
    A huge THANK YOU to all ADV inmates who provided me with the inspiration to do the TAT: Dr.Rock, Bigdog/Gaspipe; Questor/MotoAdventuregal; Ghilly, XC Rider, Mr. Cob, RDS, Notar and Vinnie the Snake, &#8230;plus so many others to whom I am no less thankful for&#8230;. that wrote about their experiences and suggestions on the trail. Not only were they most entertaining but provided a huge amount of information for planning the trip. You can see why I am rearing to go? I got TAT&#8217;erized! Their TAT stories are often the motivation to get an oldie off his arse and onto some trails and it&#8217;s the TAT trail I chose..
    I am in Jellico, TN now and will start the first phase tomorrow and also realize that I am on my own: that is; a deaf senior citizen!

[​IMG]

Come on ya&#8217;ll and tag along in your arm chair; chuckle; send advice; write encouragements; if you&#8217;re on the TAT and ahead and you&#8217;re reading this, send me some info to my RR&#8230; as I need them along the beaten trail of roads less traveled? <o:p></o:p>
    I will try going "live" with daily trip reports whenever internet is available.
    SO&#8230;.. if I am in your locality and you see a Hack of red and yellow colors coming your way&#8230;give me a wave or shout..if I don&#8217;t reply;&#8230;. THAT&#8217;S ME!!..........come on over and tap me on the shoulder!

Cheers....<o:p></o:p>
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'll take that subscription. Looking forward to your reports!
  3. Reconstructed

Reconstructed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ksteve I'm in Elmer.
  5. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    you know I'M "IN"
    wish i were with you
    i have been eagerly anticipating your journey, elmer
    the very best to you
    can't wait to follow along
  6. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome adventure and a great trail. Take lots of pics and enjoy the ride.
    Subscribed!!!:deal

John
  7. momanor

momanor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm in:lurk
  8. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Looks like a proper 'work around' to a noble goal! :freaky If you make it to Oregon and need any support call us up - Oh, and slip a chainsaw in the hack for the coast range finale. :wink: :clap
  9. MikeinSA

MikeinSA Don’t mess with the monkey

Oddometer:
    This looks great (and different :lol3) - take lots of pictures!
  10. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Abenteuerfahrer,

OK, you got my attention, now get on with the ridin and riten :clap:clap:clap
  11. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Lets see your riding gear....:lol3
  12. KHJPHOTO

KHJPHOTO Old Man and the Road

Oddometer:
    Shoooooooot Elmer; ya all shoulda call me!

Well I too shall sit here in AC comfort and follow your progress. If your blog is
    anything like the Trans Lab; we are all in for a treat indeed!

Be safe. And may Murphy NOT be with you!
  13. maquette

maquette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elmer,

I'm in for sure. I'm the other guy (from NC) that was with the fellow that bought your old DRZ. We did most of the eastern portion last Sep and early Oct. I think you'll do fine since you're old enough to be wise. NW Arkansas will get interesting, but other than that the hack should be fine.

Looking forward to reading your RR. Good luck and enjoy!!:clap

Tom
    Oriental, NC
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I've not read any of the TAT ride reports, so Elmer, make sure you explain stuff as you go to us ignorants. :D Subscribed!
  15. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. brokent10

brokent10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been looking forward to your journey and the write up since we discussed doing the TAT by hack. Have a blast, I'll be living vicariously and patiently planning :evil.
  17. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    Am praying for your safe travels and a healthy return.

God speed......
  18. jeffrey hamlin

jeffrey hamlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOVE IT!!!!!! I am subscribed :clap
  19. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb
  20. VespaMamma

VespaMamma Shutterbug

Oddometer:
    Now you're making me wish I was along for the ride....I'll be watching & missing you. Ride safe.....ride far. Your best half....:raabia