Analogy? :)

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Ok,

This is exactly why it is hard to explain to non trials people about trials and how different it is versus anything to do with SPEED...

Describing Saturn 5 in Simple English Is Difficult...

[​IMG]
  2. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  3. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    XKCD is awasome!

With the bike in the trailer I always get asked "how fast does it go?" by people who have never seen one.
    I answer back that I usually ride it in competition at 1 or 2 MPH. They just have a puzzled look on there face.

You just can't explain (anything) to an average americian. And there is no concept of a motorsport that does not involve more power and going faster then the other guy. At time it feels like I am the only one who is not a type-A personality.
  4. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    I am going to plot that at work and stick it up in my shop. Sweet drawing of a Saturn 5.

I tell people my trials bike tops out around 50, and scares the ever lovin shit out of me at that speed.

I have been amazed at the percentage of people I talk to who have at least a minimal notion of what trials is. There was a bike trials rider (no idea who) on Americas Top Talent (or some such drivel) a few years back. It made an impression apparently. I keep a few photos on my computer at work, so I can show people what the fuck I am talking about, and how much of a nerd I am.
  5. amcross

amcross Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer:
    viking, I understand it was the Smage brothers that were on Americas Got Talent!

Same here with photos -- i told someone at work that my bike was 280cc (before I got the 80!) -- and they asked me if it was the bikes the Shriners ride in the parades!!! :eek1 so i sent him a video clip of Toni at the world rounds and asked him if he's ever seen a shriners bike do THAT! :clap
  6. Sting32

Oddometer:
    He was talking about the bicycle guy that was either the same season, or the season before. Least I think that was what Derviking said in the post, :huh
  7. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Yes, that, the bicycle. I guess my point was only that at least a percentage of the American public has been exposed to the concept. Bike and Moto are inherently different, but inherently the same. I remember a video of a German dude doing a wheel hook on a better than 10' wall on a bicycle. Same obstacle could be done on a motorcycle, just with a different approach. So no, for a devotee, such as ourselves, they are different, but for the general public, I figure one is as good as the other, it gets the point across as to control, precision, and dorkyness (said with pride of course)
  8. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Dorkyness? Have you seen people ride "dirtbikes" (But I know what you are trying to say, but I still giggle about either of us, feeling like we have to say it because it is "trials")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJHsQ0ycGgA&feature=fvwrel

Dammit, Trying to embed;

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJHsQ0ycGgA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iJHsQ0ycGgA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

tell me that isn't dorky...
  9. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Good point....

Watching a new rider who bought a Harley is even more amusing. There was a group of Germans fueling up at the station near me, possibly the most terrifying sight I have ever seen. Who in there right mind rents a 650lb motorcycle, and then rides it in deck shoes. :eek1
  10. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this mentality is humorous, then he's on every talk show complaining that he lost his foot (or use of it for a while, and how not only the shop that rented it to him, but Harley is at fault, and needs to be taught a monetary lesson.
  11. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the same ones that keep there feet an inch off the asphault until they are up to about 40 MPH. I don't know how they still have all there toes.

If you drag your foot continously for 200 yards and it never leaves the ground, is that a single dab? Even on a Harley?
  12. Sting32

Oddometer:
    LOL sliding your foot is a 3, if it touches the ground, just so you know...
  13. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    i like to see them come to a red light, stop, downshift 5 times, then look for neutral until the light turns green
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Or duckpaddle for 1/4 mile before and after the red light/stop sign. Wobbling all over the lane (+). Trying (unsuccessfully) to keep their ape-hangered, open sewer-piped, grossly-chromed overweight, underpowered shitheap upright.

The latest craze that has infested the area around where I work is ape-hangered, open sewer-piped grossly- chromed poorly tuned (as in not at all after the installation of the Chokin' Buzzard carb and sewer pipe).....Sportster.

Yup, you read correctly. Ape hangers on Sportsters. :huh I usually storm past their wobbling asses in traffic on my 30-year old GPz 750. Pointing AND laughing. :jack
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    HHhhmmm, them guys with the craniel rectal inversion could use some real time on a bike ! You mothball one vintage bike and have to start riding the next! Sounds like outta space or just touched.:eek1
  16. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Nope. Just can't afford a nice modern streetbike. Hell, the newest bike I own is my 2005 4RT. :lol3
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you seen Honda`s 2013 lineup. A cb1000f (twin shock) with fuel injection and 3 500`s that look like yamaha`s failed 550 vision of 1984.
  18. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't seen the 500's yet, but that CB1000 is sharp.

I've seen a few H-D baggers with ape-hangers. So part of the reason for a fairing is to get your hands out of the air stream, but then you put apes on the thing so your hands are above the top edge of the fairing?

:huh
  19. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Oh, no. You buy a HD to be cool, then you modify it to be "unique" which is oxymoronic, as well as expensive.

Dad has one, an Ultra-classic though (it is the HD goldwing crowd, kind of different than the chopper/apehanger crowd inside the HD ranks I guess). I like it, and Rides nicer but weighs about double what the old gold-wing did, I feel, so like the old Cadillacs, rides nice. I'd like one but they are friggin expensive.
  20. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rented an Electra-Glide Classic more than a few years ago, when I was attending a two-week Johnson Controls school in Milwaukee. Spent the lay-over weekend tooling around the fair Dairy State. The one I rented predated the chassis upgrade in 2009. Handled like a garden gate. I'd like to try one with the new chassis--I hear the front and rear wheels are now in the same plane!

:deal