Riding up the loading ramp

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by alvincullumyork, Feb 3, 2014.

1. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    below, you can see my path into my basement where I park in the winter
    [​IMG]

its a seep slope up to may basement door, then one step up, so I have a plank ramp that I usually walk beside and feather the clutch as I walk it into the basement under bike power

sometimes it's more than feathering clutch, the ramp can get pretty slick, I'm spinning the rear wheel up the ramp. grade of the ramp is similar to an 8'ramp going into a 2wd pickup truck

[​IMG]
  2. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you have a fairing on your snow blower?

That's cool.
  3. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Are you a Harley rider or something?

My street bike only gets ridden, never hauled in a truck or trailer. :evil
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  5. jeventures

jeventures DEVR Adventures

Oddometer:
    If you live in the city there a so many better options than a ramp for loading a street bike into a truck. I prefer to back my tailgate to the top of a couple stairs that lead to a walkway...then ride the bike up the nearby wheelchair ramp, over to the stairs, and right into the truck bed.

If you live in the country...just backing up to a slight hill or curb can greatly ease the steep ramp approach.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    I've found walking beside the bike is key, whether dead or running. That being said, most ramps are only wide enough for the tires. I've found preparing a series of good, solid steps is key... like wood blocks, or a milk crate (NOT slippery plastic on asphalt so it slides and you dump, dummy, :1drink put a damned car floor mat under it for common sense non-skid safety!!!) and be prepared (practice once or twice) to walk up the steps briskly (briskly because a non-running bike will need some INERTIA to go up the ramp, you DO remember 4th grade science class, right?:deal) while balancing the bike. Haven't had any drama yet. Dozens loaded on/off. Going off requires that someone mans the brake on the DOWNHILL end of the bike, lest it simply sliiiiiiiiiide down the ramp, ending in a pile (same science as "using the rear brake and laying 'er down").
  7. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    we call them "half fairings"... :evil because half the time, they are facing the wrong way, get pasted with snow, reflections/cobwebs/aged plastic conspire to make seeing impossible, and help contain cold weather rich exhaust fumes for the operator to inhale. The rest of the time, they work great!!:clap

:muutt
  8. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may not be able to see where I'm going, but when the wind is blowing the snow right back at me, at least I'm protected

the cab is one of those things you think you'll never want or need, once you have one, you would not do without
  9. jmq3rd

jmq3rd .

Oddometer:

Or leave in gear and use the clutch.
  10. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's thinking outside the box. Use two ramps, one for the bike and place another one on the right next to the bike's ramp just in case you lose your balance :thumb

(I can't stand ramps)
  11. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    It folds in two, but the 3 pieces folded are so small it will either go in the back seat of the truck or ride in the back. Best few hundred bux i ever spent. Been riding track/street/ADV bikes into the back of my truck with these since 2007.
  12. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

Here in Texas, we just back the truck up into the nearest bar ditch, if it is deep enough you don't even need a ramp!:lol3
  13. ElJefeATX

ElJefeATX Morally correct

Oddometer:
    So this thread is about getting ready for Sturgis?
  14. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    A few years ago my pops bought a GS. I helped him remove it from the bed of the truck with a fork lift. Should have taken a picture.