KTM 1190 Adventure fuelling problems

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Grizzlybear, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Mshaw

Mshaw n00b

Oddometer:
    Disregard the date stamp on the picture......I forgot to set the clock on the inspection tool.
  2. RevTrev

RevTrev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys I've got a 990 adventure and had all the same issues you are having on my 12000km trip outback Australia.
    I can guarantee it's your fuel pump and filters. Change your filters,use the Ktm exc fuel sock EVERY FUEL FILL UP. to filter your fuel and flush out your tank, problem solved.
    I also had to replace my pump....look up pump on eBay from Greece $70au.
    I know the fuel filter number is same on 1190. Think pump would be.
  3. like2lean

like2lean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the pump/filter out for insp. they were both perfectly clean. The pick-up sock looked weird though, it's white but has some brown inner lining that I thought was the dirt/goo stuff some have found in there. But the outside of the sock was pristine and I couldn't squeeze any through so I'm sure it's part of the sock, it's looking more like a pump issue. I did find the little 1 1/2 inch petcock filter just laying in the bottom of the tank though..
  4. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting comments.. So far we have..
    - Fuel Pump
    - Fuel Vent
    - Plastic Tank Shrinkage against pickup.

I actually find mine only does it on really cold weather (EG: Mornings when I'm grumpy and don't have time for this sh*t)

But on ktm forums I found these pics below relating to the fuel vent hole being drilled from the factory wrong. And they need to drill out the hole next to it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I might check this when I get home.. I'm still waiting on the dealer to get back to me re: warranty stuff...
  5. like2lean

like2lean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can eliminate the vent as a culprit by just opening the cap next time it happens, if there is a vacmm you have a vent issue, if not, look at the other 2.
  6. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get the same symptoms on my bike, especially when riding long distances. After a while I just speed up as fast as it will go while stuttering and pull in the clutch. I kill the motor for a few seconds switch the kill switch back on to let the pump prime and start it on the starter. Then it will pull hard all the way to redline again. On mine I only need to let her "rest" a few seconds and she runs like normal again. She does this on 98,95 and 93 octane fuel at any altitude I have reached thus far. If I ride hard it will happen sooner than when I just sit at the speed limit.

I think its the fuel filter and/or pump. Probably from the sludge left in the tank after manufacturing.

Just my opinion though, but the dealer cant find the faulty code so they cant help me at all :dog
  7. ShawnS

ShawnS KTM nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates. After reading this thread I'm going to have the fuel filter checked out at the next service (and replaced). I called my dealer and they could not find the part number for the fuel filter... All they could find was a "fuel filter kit" which was $169 - and even my dealer thought the filter should be just a $10 part.
    Does anyone have the Ktm part number for just the filter. (Assuming there is just one?)

Thanks for your time. :)
    Wildlands likes this.
  8. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Look up user gefr on here. He sells filters for around 27 euro. I just bought 2 this week. I had looked up the filters on the microfiche online, and saw the same thing as your dealer.
  9. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    There is no way id pay $169 for a fuel filter... When I need a new one I'll ask the dealer but if it's this ill bypass it n put a $10 one on..
  10. painterdude

painterdude ride far

Oddometer:
    ditto all the probs of the OP. Mine bogged @ 4500-5000. I eventually pulled the fuel pump.
    Filter was coated all over in 1/16th inch of thick brown crap. Cleaned the filter re installed pump. Bike now ran above 4500 but lean. Who knows what crap got down into the injectors..not to mention dirt/sand that I found also got through through the air box.
    No longer own the bike. Its gone. For 17$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ dollars you get these issues out of the box ? Not on in my thinking.
  11. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    Really? Gone? The problem is.. How can u let go from that supreme engine and suspension when nothing else comes close?
  12. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    the fuel filter and pump of the 1190 is the same jimmick of the 990

prefilter a PE nonwoven media (since 2010, before plastic monolayer media), inside the pump e mini impregnated paper filter, nothing more

if it's coating around the prefilter you may risk pump cavitation and over speed which wil burn it in no time

it will overheat and burn, 456euro the spare part, just for you to know

the filter set, apart from the o-ring at 40euro the pair, is roughly 70euro here in europe, dunno in the rest of the world

the system is too small for a big bore bike, period.

you should prefilter at refuelling, but the original ktm sock is the wong project, monolayer is not the way to go on fuel filtration.

a world to the wise, next time you go to your favorite tank station, get a jerry can of fuel, than let it pass throught kitchen paper, yep, that's right, two stratas of kitchen paper and check how it looks like :)

for the white gooe...... sound some kind of washing from petrol mixed to ethanol to me, either fron the tank station of from inside the tank.

petrol issue is becoming a major nuisance now that fuel injection has become so delicate

ciaps
  13. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    btw

have a laugh

bmw, GS 1200 800 K and all the R models, doesn't have a filter anymore, they have a 60 micron strainer and a huge MAN canister filter, but it is not a spare part, it does't exist as an aftermarket part and it's produced only for BMW

you don't change the filter, you change te PUMP assembly

zio can

we should not complain ahahhahah
  14. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this prefilter i hear of some sort of sock device that mounts between the tank and the cap ring? Like a screen or sorts? Does that hamper fueling at all?

I also wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the same universal in-tank fuel pump that most bikes have. Seen the same exact part in a Husqvarna, Aprilia and Triumph. Although in all those cases, never saw any serious gunk of sorts, even with higher millage or race fuel used. You would think that a bike that's used only 1000 miles a year would have all sorts of gunk around the pump and filter.

I'm gonna guess there's some sort of production sealant used that's getting in with the fuel. I think a universal inline filter is not a bad option either; considering the sensitivity of the fuel injectors.

Aprilia Supermotos had issues with them, mainly from drying out while sitting or running the fuel low. But in that case, they would seeze up; requireing a few bangs with a hammer to fix :-)
  15. painterdude

painterdude ride far

Oddometer:
    from my experience my fuel pump failed in a few hours of trying to suck against a wall. I actually took the whole thing apart to clean it.What a piece of hobbled together ..(sorry) ..crap!! Talk about crazy fine filter. Even clean you can barely get it to pass air ..It will take nothing to compromise the whole thing.To replace it in Alberta where it broke was 600 bucks + !!
    All 1190 owners it seems are going to eventually have real " adventures " if they don't tediously filter the gas at every fill up !!!
    By the way while I am at it ..let me just say that the exposed -extremely vulnerable and way way cheap fuel petcocks and fuel pump (complete with hanging wires ) ..looks like it should be on a cheapo bike from China.
    One of my petcocks leaked fuel!! Could have had a real blazing adventure with that bit..anyways..
    onward to the 2015
    Jmc540 likes this.
  16. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:

well be surprised that the BMW 450 gimmick has the same assembly of the 990 /1190 ie, I have being talking to a very nice guy from france who had the missadventure to ride that bike in kazakstan and got "stranded" buy bad fuel

the other pumps are different, BMW uses a common BOSCH inserted in a different structure, but the canister original filter is another issue, must be taken out of the tank

the whole prefilter was a mass of dark brown sludge.

our pump has a clever system which prevents the pump to over work and drink some very nasty combination of contaminants and petrol.

point is, to keep it patented and proprietary Kehin/ktm choose the mini filter design out of some stupid engineer dream, than fuel is clean for example

I do use an external fule in line filter, but I totally modify the set up, my prefilter design, fuel cap filters and automotive in line out of the tank filter

the rest would imply taking out the whole pump sustem using an in-line fuel pump, like walbro.

yep you put the cap filter at the cap in teh tank, and yes it hampers the fuel some, sorry, good filter media are slow, bad filter media are slow :)

refuelling is slower, but it prevents everything above 20/30 microns to enter the tank
  17. guglemonster

guglemonster Crivens!!!

Oddometer:
    if i'm not mistaken, is the ethanol wich is somehow interacting with the tank modifing it's shape, I know somebody was talking about it and for sure it was interacting with the safari, you can tel by the way is increasing it's volume

I am prefiltering every single drop of petrol while refuelling on my bike, don't see the big issue, some more time at the tank station, safe ride, pump will work forever. :)

the PE nonwoven is a unfortunately tring to save the paper jimmick in the pump, it is really toooo smal for such a big bore bike,

you can clean it with a solution of petrol and injector cleaner, let it soak for some 20 minutes, blow it from inside, than let it soak in clean solution again.

usually e middle clogged filter wil gain 85% of it's flow capacity on the forth wash, than you can ride safe some more miles :)

we do use a mix system on some bike, fuel ktm prefilter and external in-line fuel filter outside the tank

lot's of washing anyway if you don't prefilter at fuel cap :)

last bike I did, 990 with 3 tanks, ktm prefilter, bosch steel canister, 20/30 cap filters all around

my std work usually involves a self made prefilter, in line steel bosch out of the tank filter and 0 micron cap filter

this will work for a loooooooooooong time :)
  18. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I posted this on another thread about the filter pump. This is the whole reason for going to a secondary filtration

19. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Consider it a maint item. Not cheap but better than sitting on the side of the road . I change mine yearly , peace of mind I guess.
    If I was doing a round the world trip (yeah no prob getting time off for that , right) I would likely install the reverse flow pump kit and powercells tank sock.

For some reason I thought the 1190 has a larger fuel filter element now. hmmmm
  20. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Same part numbers as for 990 (fuel pump, O rings, both filters). Inmate Gefr has been supplying filter kits 27 euros and fuel pumps for a few years. I try to keep 2 filter kits on hand at all times. :D