oil cooler relocation questions

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by slashfive, Jul 16, 2012.

1. slashfive

slashfive moto celeritas

Oddometer:
    Looking to relocate the cooler on an 89 r100gs
    Have read several threads talking about the parts from both a 83rs and a 100r vs the touratech kit (something about smaller lines???)

Can someone share with me an updated parts list or current recommendation on how to go about this?
    The lines on max's site for both bikes are different in appearance (and price!)

Thanks.
    Eric.
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    well naturally the lines would be different lengths, they originate at the same spot and one goes further than the other. Dunno gauge wise.

I've only put the TT version on mine... but install was a breeze. two lines and a bracket for the frame crossbar, and the filter cover stays the same.
  3. brittrunyon

brittrunyon 1992 R 100 GS

Oddometer:
    I just bought TT relocation kit..........a bit pricey.......

Have yet to do the install..........sorry I'm no help......:norton
  4. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I simply removed the cooler on my '88 several years ago. Engine hasn't blown up yet.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of my friends have done the same with no ill effects. Both have at least 40k+ miles on their bikes since doing it. I think the GS engines are low enough compression that they don't produce enough heat to REALLY need one.
  6. brittrunyon

Oddometer:
    Has there ever been research done, (a test on the engine temperature/oil temperature), on an airhead with vs without an oil cooler?

One would suppose that with a cooler the engine would run cooler.............?

& this would be better.......no?....................:ear
  7. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    of course it runs a bit cooler with a cooler. But if youre not blasting the badlands or the sahara at six and a half K rpm for a few thousand miles, and you change the oil every ten thousand miles or so the motor will probably never know the difference.

Nice to know you could if you wanted to, though :D

That oil cooler has a pretty small surface area to make a real dent. Plenty of R100's never even had them.
  8. slashfive

slashfive moto celeritas

Oddometer:
    appreciate the conversation…my next question is what do i use to block the outlets on the cover or which cover do i replace with if i go cooler-less?
  9. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do, don't get the touratech oil cooler bypass for this. A friend of mine tried using it as a permanent bypass, but it started leaking pretty badly after a few thousand miles. Touratech's response was that it's only meant as a "get you home" fix and not as a permanent bypass. They wouldn't take it back. My friend just went to a hydraulic shop and had a custom hose made for about $15 and it's been good for over 40k miles since then.
  10. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's an article on my website describing the different systems.
  11. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is just my bent and twisted opinon.

For the average normal rider on a somewhat stock airhead without a full fairing with lowers, no oil cooler is needed.

But, if you have an RT or RS fairing (or similar type) and run the full lowers that block off some of the air flow over the engine, then an oil cooler may be needed. That all being said, the oil cooler is only really needed if you are riding in hotter climates on a regular bases.

The other caveat would be if you are loading up the bike and pulling a lot of weight, i.e. a heavy sidecar, full saddle bags and top box, or pulling a trailer with a full fairing that blocks the air flow over the engine.

If you are running a fairly naked bike with or without a small S type fairing or windshield, then running in temperatures of 100F+ in stop and go traffic, then an oil cooler is probably a good idea. Stop and go traffic in hot temps is not good for any air cooled bike or rider.

Again, this is just my opinion, others will have theirs.
  12. brittrunyon

Oddometer:
    Thanks for yours............now theirs.......................:ear
  13. slashfive

slashfive moto celeritas

Oddometer:
    I have seen pics of cool bypass blocks that fit the cover so the internals don't need to be changed.
    Anyone have any leads or want to make some?