R1100GS/R1100R Trans output shaft seal

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by onbmw, Feb 27, 2007.

1. onbmw

onbmw Jucifer

Oddometer:
    can the M97 transmission output shaft seal be changed from the rear of the trans or do I have to take it (the tranny) out and open it up to change the output shaft seal? :confused
  2. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only ever removed them from the inside, but it looks like there's room to drill, screw, slide hammer the old one out. Install from the outside with something performing the function of tool 23 4 620.
  3. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will need to remove the box and take it apart to get the the rear output shaft seal, fun job I have done the job in about 5 hours, after 3 gearbox rebuilds. perhaps I should not tow camper trailers in the bush?
    Always use the genuine BMW seals in the box as they are made directional, that is the outer sealing lip has directional groves which assist in keeping dust away from the inner sealing lip.
  4. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    Just so we're clear here...the trans output shaft, where the driveshaft to the FD attaches right? If that's the case, the trans does not need to be removed from the bike, just the swingarm. I've done it myself. There is enough room in there to drill a hole in the seal and yank it out.
  5. onbmw

onbmw Jucifer

Oddometer:
    This seal - rear of the transmission - where the driveshaft connects.
    (this is not the leaky bitch! photo just for reference!

[​IMG][/IMG]
  6. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    Yes. No need to yank the trans off the bike. BT, DT. It was tight but I lived. Watch out for footpeg brackets trying to tear your ears off.
  7. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a look at my old transmission from the R1100GS, made in 96, and by the looks of the picture they have changed the rear casing as mine has a lip where the seal goes into from the inside, looking at the picture, you can replace the seal from the outside,hopefully this is the case on the said bike with the leak....
    make sure you use a genuine seal....ref my last comment.
  8. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound right. I rebuild these things all the time and I've never seen one like that. The rear input shaft seal is like that; the case has to be opened for that one, but the output seals are always clear to remove to the rear and install from the rear.