Rear drive rebuild cost 2005 r1200gs 40,000 miles

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by jdbski, Feb 11, 2013.

1. jdbski

jdbski old but getting younger

Oddometer:
    I have to get my drive rebuilt as it puked its gear oil recently. I think I stopped before causing too much damage but who knows. Anyway has anybody had their drive rebuilt and if so how much did it cost?

Thanks,
    Jb
  2. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Puked oil? That means that likely only a seal went. If you are lucky, no mechanicals failed and you are not facing high costs.

There are several items that could fail, so the cost will vary. If you are very lucky, it is the big seal on the side of the FD (surrounding the opening) - a not uncommon issue on the R12GS. This is very inexpensive, you just pop out the bad one and knock a new one in. Even I could do that... :evil (Though I paid the dealer a bit under $200 four years ago, when my '06 GS had about 38k on the odometer).

Other seals are much more elaborate. Before asking for costs, you'll need to determine what happened.
  3. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 replace the seal, check for wheel play at 9-3 and 12-6. In case there is none, ride it and check again periodically.

Dan.
  4. jdbski

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I suspect something had to have happened to a bearing somewhere as i got a wobbly feeling when it went, which is why i pulled over to inspect everything in the first place. The potential good news is that i did not find any metal in the fluid that i removed when i took it off the bike. and only minor stuff attached to the speed sensor too.

So the dealer has it and will call when he cracks it open. I will post the outcome when i hear the news.
    Thanks,
    jb
  5. jdbski

Oddometer:
    Got the word today it's going to cost 850 all in for seals and bearings
    Figure it could have been a lot worse. Can't wait to try it out.
  6. Final Drive

Final Drive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any warning before it went? Did you wobble / check for play after the seal gave way? Just interested to learn all I can since I too have an '05.
  7. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Considering that they had to open the housing (based on your note), you got away cheap. Enjoy the ride!
  8. jdbski

Oddometer:
    i felt a wobble at low speed on the pavement. I thought i had a flat tire, felt just like it. (i have had a few rear flats over the years)

And when i stopped i had oil all over the rear wheel and tire.

jb