I-84 The perfect place to go 138 mph. Not.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Robert_W, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    4 NY Motorcyclists Clocked Going 138 Mph

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-ny-motorcyclists-clocked-138-mph-19732001

Authorities say four motorcyclists in upstate New York were clocked driving nearly 140 mph on an interstate and issued speeding tickets.
    State police say the four men registered 138 mph on a trooper's radar gun in a 65-mph zone on Interstate 84 on Sunday morning in Greenville. The town is on the New Jersey border 60 miles northwest of New York City.
    Other troopers farther east on I-84 were alerted and stopped the bikers in the neighboring town of Wawayanda. Police say the four men ranging in age from 32 to 45 were ticketed and ordered to appear in court on Aug. 14.

Having lived back there for a good part of my life I can't EVER imagine doing this. Even at 3 in the morning there is traffic. And all they got were tickets? Didn't they used to haul your ass to jail for this kiind of thing? :huh
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    That is what I was thinking!

Jim :brow
  3. psychopompos

psychopompos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They were doing it wrong, taking I-84 instead of 6.
  4. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    But they were making much better time.
  5. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
  6. showerfan

showerfan i shower with my duc

Oddometer:
    On a sports bike that's not terribly difficult to do. On an 1199 or a BMW s1000rr -- whoops I'm doing 138! They probably weren't riding GS's.
  7. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Middle of teh night with no one else on the road? Shrug. I mean, they deserve a ticket, but not "OMG 138 mph! String 'em up!"
  8. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    ya know what? I bet they beat it. Your honor, there is no way the four of us could be traveling together at 138 mph. At that speed it is impossible to ride together in one lane, on the roads in NY.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    They couldn't have been. The GS tops out 15 mph slower than that.

10. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Maybe they shoulda pushed it up to 205, then they wouldn't have gotten caught! :D
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Honestly, who gives a shit.

There is not one of us who hasn't hauled ass down some road, somewhere on a motorcycle. These guys just got caught. Why is this news?

Going 138MPH and causing an accident is a different story.

:dunno
  12. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    I read that article, all I can say is that this language from the police union president, arguing against firing the cop that was doing 149, is pretty telling:

"All they fired him for was speeding," said Jim Gilbert, union president. "Based on an infraction that any common citizen could get, they fired him."

:norton
  13. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    138mph on that section of road is way too easy to do. If you ride along there at 100, it feels like your going about 50. Until you come up on some cars that is. In particular, the ones with lights on top. :lol3 That's the reason I'm trying to unload my very tricked out ZX11, too easy to go waay too fast.

Chris
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the big deal is. Just about any sport bike over 600cc can do that without breathing heavy. If they weren't causing any danger to others (clearly they weren't, or they would have got more than a ticket), let them have their fun.
  15. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    At one point in my life I had a big lapse of judgement and was doing 120 through somewhat thick traffic, whitelining with a foot to spare on either side all because I had some ribs waiting for me and glimpsed a Busa behind me.

He still hasn't caught up to me :lol3

And this was on a Buell with a busted CV carb!
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The big deal is that we have to count on people who obviously can not be counted on to ride in a safe manner! This is why we have laws that cater to the LCD!

17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If the road was empty, they were riding in a safe manner. If they were doing that around other cars, I agree with you, though.

I'm just assuming the road was empty, hence only a speeding ticket. Then again, maybe one of them had a Fireman's sticker on their bike or something? I know my CHP buddy has written tickets to LEOs and Fireman when they are doing something really dangerous.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Again, we do not know if these guys were using good judgement or not. Traffic laws are not, and never have been, written for those who use good sense in their driving. They are written for the majority who, without speed limits, would kill themselves and others.

Whether or not these guys were doing their race track riding safely or not is irrelevant. They broke the law, and they got popped, as it should be. Without these laws the squids pulling wheelies down the freeway in rush hour traffic would be a hundred times worse.

19. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Yup!
  20. espacef1fan

espacef1fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Were they breaking the law? Yes.

Were they being "unsafe"? Not enough info to tell.

Going 138 on a empty highway isnt that nuts. Who is to say they didnt run it through 3 gears and then let off? That can all be done in well under a half mile and just over a quarter mile.

You ever go 60mph around a corner with great sightlines when the speed limit is 45? You are just as much of a terrorist as these guys.

They broke a law( that is less about safety these days than it is money...) Any they got a ticket. End of story.

In other news... A woman has a baby!!!