BMW 450 enduro (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Max Kool, Mar 4, 2007.

1. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    Yes, the gas cap wants to cross thread very easily. This was not always the case on my bike. It swells up after continued exposure to gasoline. I partly remedied this situation by baking the cap in the oven at 175 degrees F. for about three hours. Much smoother fit after this, but after a few weeks its as sticky as ever. Next I tried sanding the entire threaded portion of the cap down with 220 wet or dry sandpaper. This barely had any effect because the plastic is extremely abrasion-resistant. I could not remove enough material. The trick I use presently is to wind the cap counterclockwise until I feel the tank and cap threads jump by one pitch. Now firmly push the cap againt the tank opening while slowly turning clockwise. One must be very persistent to keep the cap level with the face of the filler neck. After about half a turn it is engaged enough to finish tightening it. Naturally BMW chose not to use a standard pitch, or I would just replace the damned thing with a $10 O'Reilly non-vented cap. There is a nice alloy cap that Husky lists in their Special Parts Catalog for the TE449; Cod. 8000H4069. I wonder if it will work on the BMW?

THE SCORPION
  2. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I believe you are correct. It is +5v source for the Idle regulator position sensor. AKA Throttle Position Sensor.
  3. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's the TPS
    Have a look here, the pictures show the various parts all nicely labelled. Plus there's a link wiring diagram on the page too!
  4. Lamented

Lamented Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great link thanks.
  5. Lamented

Oddometer:
    worth a look!
  6. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: I purchased the Black Plastic set for the G450 from speedbrain last year for a project, but didn't get to it. Now I'd like to keep the bike white. So I paid appx $300 for the set, I'd like to get that back. email me at jack-bsm@comcast.net if intrested.

[​IMG]

Makes a great xmas gift. :evil for yourself. :D

jack
  7. Lamented

Oddometer:
    any chance you got the speed brain sticker set too?
  8. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC, I have a sticker set for the rear and number plates. I can send pics if interested. :ear
  9. Lamented

Oddometer:
    send em!
  10. SRFade

SRFade FeHorse Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fairly new to this bike having purchased a 2010 a few months ago with 1800 miles and 50 hours on the clock. After 20 hours of riding, put the bike in for some minor warranty repairs and its second oil change. The bike was returned to me with what I felt was excessive clutch drag with a pretty strong bang from neutral into first. Long story short, after a complete teardown of the clutch pack and replacement of the thrust bearing (under warranty), the clutch still doesn't feel like it completely disengages and the dealer is now telling me that it is "normal" after additional fiddling and adjusting at both the lever and the cable end. I know there are a lot of variables in this issue, including what I think is normal. Just wondering if this is common or normal and, if not, any suggestions?
  11. Lamented

Oddometer:
    Mine is the same
  12. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    I use a dab of Vaseline (petroleum Jelly) on the threads. I no longer have a problem..
  13. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    101 uses :D
  14. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    One of the few things you can use anywhere on anything!!
  15. G450X_Rider

G450X_Rider Super Geek

Oddometer:
    :clap Just spreading the good word - I passed 30,000 miles on my G450X yesterday. Still no real problems to report.
  16. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    holy crap! you have that thing on a treadmill or something? :lol3
  17. Gearhead001

Gearhead001 Nut

Oddometer:
    DANG!! I am impressed.
  18. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you done the 70 hour checks? :ear
  19. G450X_Rider

G450X_Rider Super Geek

Oddometer:
    70 hour checks – Yes. I do my own maintenance and my dealer is fine with that. I’m pretty strict about maintenance and they seem trust me. Also, it’s a commuter bike so I guess that has something to do with the way things are holding up. What’s funny are the problems I never expected – like the seat cover cracking due to use. Also, the oil vent tube that runs into the air box developed a hole due to vibration.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  20. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    :eek2
    Thats's one hell of a commuter bike!