ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #811
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Oddometer: 154
Thumbs down Garmin 62S

I know this is an old thread and I didn't read everything but here is my experience on some of the issues mentioned. My 62S (I replace my 60CS) works well, except for these issues;
  • The new type USB connector is rubbish, I have replaced two Garmin cables, which are not cheap and now the McGyver I made with a standard USB cable is also shot. The design just does not stand up to the rigorous vibrations on a ADV motorcycle. What Garmin were thinking when they replaced this design is beyond me
  • It is still not possible to see the screen with the sun in front of me. With the sun behind me shining on the screen it is very visible.
  • My Ram mount broke. The little rolly wheel on the bottom is a bad design. Taking the unit in and out puts strain on this part and it can break or pop out. Fortunately Ram did replace the cradle free of charge. I now use a heavy duty elastic band around it. Oh and another elastic band to keep the USB connector in place
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #812
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
I know this is an old thread and I didn't read everything but here is my experience on some of the issues mentioned. My 62S (I replace my 60CS) works well, except for these issues;

The new type USB connector is rubbish, I have replaced two Garmin cables, which are not cheap and now the McGyver I made with a standard USB cable is also shot. The design just does not stand up to the rigorous vibrations on a ADV motorcycle.
Perhaps you should read more. Must be 100 responses pointing out this fact. However even after reading them many people still purchase 62/64 for motorcycle use, brand/model "loyalty" is hard to overcome with facts.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #813
BaldED
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyMan_ZA View Post
  • The new type USB connector is rubbish, I have replaced two Garmin cables, which are not cheap and now the McGyver I made with a standard USB cable is also shot. The design just does not stand up to the rigorous vibrations on a ADV motorcycle. What Garmin were thinking when they replaced this design is beyond me
You have 2 options:
1. Sell/trade that 62s for a 78s. Runs the same firmware as the 62s but comes with that good old reliable Garmin serial/power socket in addition to the USB socket, or
2. Sell the 62s and upgrade to a Montana with it's Rugged Mount cradle (check the ADVrider Montana forum).
BaldED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #814
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,329
Gotta put my "3 volt regulated power supply in place of 2 AAs fed by vehicle 12 v" back on the burner. I'm tired of fighting the USB power issue as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #815
CandyMan_ZA
R1200GS-WP

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdown View Post
perhaps you should read more. Must be 100 responses pointing out this fact.
CandyMan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote