New XM "puck" costs 200 bucks ...WTF?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by montanaman, Sep 11, 2012.

1. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    So I am ordering a new mount for my second bike so I can move my Zumon 665 from bike to bike. I was going to buy another satellite puck so as to not have to move that as well ( Its zip-tied in on my 800GS) and just found out they cost 200 bucks ! For just the PUCK. Wow.. we are all used to massive mark ups in parts that cost little to make but this might be a world record on cost to produce vs cost to own. I'll be passing on that option..
  2. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    What about securing a metal plate to your bag and then use the magnetic mount? That way puck can be moved as needed< that is how I use mine between bike and car.
  3. tacojoe

tacojoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I believe that the XM radio is in the puck. If thats the case I guess that would explain some of the cost.
  4. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Oh... I thought it was in the GPS unit and the puck was just the antenna? That would explain it then. Bummer. It will be too much hassle to move the puck and the wire connection to another bike. Unless I undo the tidy install that I have now.
  5. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I damaged the GPS antenna on my sailboat. The replacement cost was 3/4 that of the price I paid for the whole setup. The manufacturer told me that everything was in the dome. The display unit only housed the dispaly screen. GH
  6. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wow. I guess I better treat that puck a bit better.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Not when you consider you can buy a XM radio for $50.
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Not a unit that is waterproof, shock resistant, and interfaces with a GPS.

But that said, I've always felt that $200 is pricey. Except when I sold mine for $150.:D

They do come up in the Flea Market from time to time. And all joking aside, the going rate has been about $150.

Be careful when you are looking for one. The units have changed over time. I'm not sure that they are all backward/forward compatible.
  9. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    True. The puck for the street pilot series and 478 is different than the puck for the zumo.

Now... Anyone have a first generation sirrius radio? Remember the size of the antenna? That one was completely waterproof and had the same stuff in it as the Garmin pucks.

To some degree it makes sense, why build in the receiver to the units when you can put in the puck and make it a very high priced option. That's how it worked with the Street Pilots, if you wanted XM on your 2820 buy the puck.

Fast forward to today where they include the puck with the 665 and a nifty motorcycle mount as well, but if you want to set up your 665 to easily go from bike to bike with music it's going to cost around $250. I said fuck it and only have the XM on the primary bike.