2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    You obviously don't follow Cycle World's history. David Edwards was there well over 10 years, IIRC ... and current editor Hoyer has been with the mag for over 10 years as well.

I said I did not like this article ... but in general ... I believe Cycle World do a pretty good job. Hey guys, don't shoot the messenger here ... now go ahead, put your head back in the sand. :lol3

Have you ever worked in the Moto magazine biz? Obviously not. You have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Total, 100% BS. Husky Ad? Wrong again!

The fact is Kawi don't advertize much in CW, never have. ... but in the issue in question I DO see a full page ad for the Husqvarna Terra!
    But the ads were paid for before the sale of Husky and are now appearing
    (and have been) for months in every major mag.

Imagine that! :lol3 Also an ad for BMW (full back page . $$$$ ), also ads from Ducati and Triumph. No ad from Yamaha or KTM. Advertising budgets rarely affect editorial content. Cycle World has the widest distribution of any MC mag in the USA by a large margin.
  2. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I got these at Back road moto. I copied what some guys over at Cafe Husky were doing.
    They have a cool build thread going called Terraformers. I'd link it if I knew how on this tablet.
  3. Telman

Telman Ulysses Member

Oddometer:
    After test riding a Strada version, I have put a deposit on a Terra and will pick it up as soon as we get back from our holiday. :D
  4. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    We had a holiday long weekend so I took the Terra into the southwest of my state. I'm not sure how far it was but I would guess around 2k km's all told.

After a comfortable few hours on the highway I reached the south west coast I used to regularly visit during my youth. The surf breaks around this region are some of the best coastal breaks in the country. I spent the afternoon visiting surf breaks. Unfortunately it was pancake flat.

[​IMG]

I then met up with some mates & we headed further east down the coast. Plenty of dirt roads in between us and our destination with some fantastic scenery too. Winding forest roads - awesome!

[​IMG]

I was extremely cautious with the Terra for the 1st day of dirt roads. It's new. I love it. I didn't want to kill it. Plus I was only carrying a basic supply of tools. Wherever the Terra felt a bit loose, it was the same spots as the guys on the KTM's felt it too. Cool - it's not just the Terra then.

[​IMG]

The next day & more dirt roads and perhaps a better feel for the bike. More speed! This bike just eats the miles. I didn't expect to love it on the dirt as much as I do. :clap

[​IMG]

Two more days of blacktop riding with other friends and I was home again. Tired for sure but with one big smile on my face. Mates, bikes, whiskey & conversation :1drink.

I totally love this bike. Comfort on the blacktop & comfort on the pea gravel. Next is to put some knobblies on it and some crash bars and take it deeper into the bush.
  5. FabOneUp

FabOneUp I'll give it a go!

Oddometer:
  6. FabOneUp

FabOneUp I'll give it a go!

Oddometer:
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    How do you like the HP4 on the front?
  8. rodm850g

rodm850g Older dude having fun

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    Magazines schmagazines....I have commented once jere this bike, went and test rode one....Went back and bought one....whats my experience with dual sport bikes ? Well other than having been in the business selling in a 4 line dealership I got to ride about everything that came from Japan.....I'm too aware of the short comings of the DR, the KLR the XR and the various Yamahas that have been set up for the road....
    Now then the Terra comes along and its short comings have been listed....or are they from my limited time on the road and in the outback of Eastern,N.C. I have had a ball on it.
    So its a 5 speed if you are in the woods is 5th or 6th a decision ? and the brakes are very good w/ steel braided lines from the factory....The suspenders seem fine to me ....I'm not about to set our to cross any major desert soon but the Terra doesn't nose dive like the others I have mentioned here...it stops so much good for suspension.....and brakes
    I don't have to fiddle around with carbs with the Fi and so far its been spot on....heavy it may be but that will no doubt be beneficial on the road where this bike of mine will no doubt be spending a lot of its time.
    Would I drop 8, 9, 10k on a play toy bike no but working with my dealer we came to an agreed price and the deal was done. I am awaiting a few accessories to come available for the Terra like the racks from the Terra Formers and some nice bags for it and a few other itemsd and I'll be a happy camper so far so good will I want totrade up for a different bike any time soon...I don't think so it hits a happy place for me....price point, seat height and its handling is okie dokie....it may not be the right fit for a hard core entheuseist but for me I'm diggin my new Terra
    Rod:ricky
  9. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Our national debt is now OVER $16,664,000,000,000* so an actual Zombie apocalypse may not be a problem but, a collapse of the dollar is very possible. Add to that the chance of yet another war in oil country & the tankers could stop rolling. I'm actually shocked that the number crunchers have been able to hold the house of cards togeather as long as they have.

The KLR is hands down the best bike of the 5 that were compared, if the number crunchers ever lose their magic or gas gets hard to find. I was surprised that the Terra scored so low but, IMO it was more due to the Terra being a first year model (making replacement parts hard to find), the fact that it may already be an orphan & wrenching on it is a bit more technical than a KLR.

Perhaps cycleworld just wanted to cash in on the popularity of shows like "Doomsday preppers" or maybe they just wanted to try a different angle to the old beat to death formula of moto journalism. I enjoyed the article & I'm glad more people are becomming aware of the fact that maybe the party isn't going to last forever. Mainstream media is only talking about such things because they realize that there is a segment of "consumers" that are thinking that way.

I know it seems silly to get worked up over a $16,664,000,000,000 plus debt but, mankind has always had it's irrational "the sky is falling" segment.

*Source - usdebtclock.org
  10. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:

No but I have and will buying advertising in the motorcycle media and when I see a bad article about a product that i'm representing I certainly think twice before advertising with them.

Everybody knows that the KE100 is the best bike for the apocalypse. It burns less gas and oil that a KLR. :rofl
  11. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1

MORE.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Off the top of my head, they've lost: Brian Catterson, Jimmy Lewis, Don Canet, and Peter Egan. John Burns and Nick Ienatsch are, now, only contributors, to the best of my knowledge. I don't know what their personal reasons are for no longer writing for CW, but, have enjoyed all their past contributions.

Wasn't trying to shoot the messenger. I shouldn't have threadjacked and will probably be banned, now. Just as well, since my head is stuck in the sand. :evil
  13. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    First motorcycle I ever rode, even if it was too short of a trip. Popped the clutch and wheelied right into the bushes. My brother said "That's it! You're done." :lol3
  14. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned this bike for 3 days now. During this time it's snowed twice and hasn't gotten above 45. This is Georgia for crying out loud. Guess I'll go wire my Heat Troller in. :cry
  15. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Getting a dealer to work up some options for a Strada with 21"/18" spoke wheels while keeping the ABS in tact. It's go time this weekend and I'm hoping this option pans out.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  16. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:

Right......

So in this 'post apocalyptic' theme that favors bikes with better highway handling my only question is-
    'Who is going to be maintaining these highways during the apocalypse?'
  17. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Trigger pulled. :D

Bought a Strada, turning it into a Terra. Parts are on order, but i get to see her in factory form in a few hours.

18. hambone650rider

hambone650rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey riding donkeys , I'm in yadkin county near the foothills let me know when ur up and running, maybe we can get together and ride. Would love to see that strada in action. Ill chase on the dr650. My purchase is delayed for a while. Congrats!!
  19. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:

Way to go Donkey! You must let me play with it sometime. :wink:

hambone - my inclination is to say that the DR650 can spank the Husky both on and off road but especially off road. Maybe we will get the chance to find out in person :deal

I have both a F650GS single and DR650. The 650GS is a comfortable highway bike, which I imagine the Husky is as well - built for comfort.

With carb mods (jet kit) my DR spanks my F650GS on the tarmac (power on wheelies in 1'st and 2'nd with 5 gallons of gas in the tank) but doesn't quite get the F650s 70 mpgs. Carbed bikes will never beat injected ones for fuel economy but it certainly out accelerates the F650GS and will carry as much baggage on 1,000 mile days.

Why, I've taken the DR fully loaded with hard tail bag and soft side bags from Raleigh across the Appalachians on super slab on knobbies, onto the Hatfield McCcoy trails, then back onto slab and up towards Chicago without even airing down tires never mind lightening the load (on the same ride).

Off road I'll claim and put to the test that the DR outperforms all of the big pigs (except truly high performance lightweight dual sport bikes like the KTM 640 adventure) and certainly can hold its own against the 450 class. Ever jump a 650GS or KLR off road? Didn't think so...jump a DR. with stock shocks..yep, all the time. I have a dirt jump in my backyard that I play on. Jump a Strada without expensive shock mods???? I imagine, if I ever tried, that the Strada would jump like my now dead and buried F800GS (RIP White lightening) did...get's off the ground fine but landings are a bitch.

So as far as who will be chasing who...methinks the Husky will be chasing the DR both on pavement and off. Will need to test that one sometime, maybe in Nantahala or at the Ricks Rendezvous.

Let the games begin. Will I eat crow? Only one way to find out.

:lol3 :D :lol3
  20. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Here she is...still in her street clothes.

[​IMG]

You'll likely spank me on the DR. This is my first dual-sport. But i bet i can beat you on some forest roads on my chop! :D