All things Triumph Street Triple

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by queenpdog, Aug 17, 2010.

1. VixObs

VixObs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, of course any bike can get you into trouble. My first bike was a Ninja 250. I totally loved it. I had it for almost a year and put 7k on it. If you have all your basic skills down, you'll be fine. The learning curve should be the same as adjusting to any new bike. But the Street will tempt you to go faster. The brakes have a much better feel. Test ride one and you'll see. The throttle tends to be very sensitive at slow speeds, so good smooth throttle control is important.
  2. njd

njd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really tempted to sell/trade my Versys for an ST. :tb

What kind of fuel range do you guys get between fill ups?
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

My Daytona gets around 140miles on 3.7 gallons....the Streets are not as heavily tuned, but have more sprocket...so it would be within a few miles.
  4. Lopoetve

Lopoetve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Light comes on for me at 120-130, and I fill up then. So it's pretty close.
  5. doublen

doublen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You forgot, no fairing. It all evens out with the "lesser" powerplant in there. Fuel economy is very subjective though and depends on too many factors to list. Personally I make it a habit to fuel up every 100 miles when on a long trip just to be safe, but commuting back and forth to work I can baby it and have gotten a little more than 190 miles before the fuel light came on. It's all about throttle control and....self control.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Indeed, I didn't say that I was below 7-8 grand for most of that 140mile:lol3

I still have the stock exhuast just because I like hearing the intake howl.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    With OEM cans the fuel light came on about 130 miles, with the Arrow twins the light comes on about 145 miles. Best I can calculate (it's pretty hard to fill up exactly the same every time), I'm getting about 43-45 mpg, regardless of driving habits.
  8. doublen

doublen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha, for sure! I ditched my stock exhaust because I was tired of melting saddlebags on it. Competition Werkes low pipe for me. It's loud though. :evil
  9. rich_mc

rich_mc Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer:
    Finally got notice that my Hepco Becker C-Bow Luggage brackets came in from Europe and are now on their way to me :deal

Hope to have some installed pics to post by end of week :thumb
  10. doublen

doublen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see that. :clap
  11. Lopoetve

Oddometer:
    picpicpic!
  12. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Eddie,
    I did just this yesterday. I rode the 2011 speed III and 2010 streety. The speed III is a fantastic bike and the engine is very nice. But I had much more fun on the streety, it's got plenty of go, not far short of the MM to be honest although less torque, but the low gearing seems to disguise this so it feels like a bigger engine than it is. The streety is much more nimble, and if I was considering doing track days (as I know you do) I would rather the 675 for sure. If it was my only ride, I would probably have the speed III as it seemed more comfortable for the longer rides, but there really isn't much to choose from each other here, both have a great riding position.
    Me? I think I am going to get the 675, just waiting for a trade in price for my SMC, I am excited about owning one of these, that engine is addictive :lol3
  13. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my Triumph visor and screen setup with the new Dart Manta screen. You have to make a few adjustments to acommodate the R bike, but it was fairly easy to fit.

Linky for Manta:

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/en/street3.html

Consequently I am selling my Triumph branded setup if you are interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15996277#post15996277

I am really pleased with the Dart. It sends the wind up and over my helmet (moreso because I added a few spacers that angle the screen more forward to address clearance issues on the R). If anyone has any questions about either screen let me know.
  14. bingbong

Oddometer:
    I notice it says "not for the R version" sounds like you made it work though. how did you do it? and what's the diferrence between the versions.
    The screen looks good.
  15. SStiffler

SStiffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I demo'd a street triple over the weekend at the local Triumph dealer. I thought that because I am a big guy (6-0 / 200lb) that it would not be comfortable. I was wrong. I really like the light weight of the bike. It was easy to flick around. It reminded me of my old memories of the RD400 I had in my youth.

I thought a Tiger 800 or a Bonny would be the way to go, but the steet triple was really fun.

I can see an S3 in my future provided I could ride it for longer than 20 minutes to see how my knees feel. :D
  16. Lopoetve

Oddometer:
    6'2, 280 here, 34" inseam, and the S3 gets a bit stiff in the knees after 150 miles or so in a day. But, they make adjustable pegs (I'm getting them - move them down one notch just to give me a bit more stretch room for longer trips).
  17. queenpdog

queenpdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to slightly bend the brake fluid reservoir forward. Then I put a couple of rubber spacers between the bolt and the bracket on the upper bolt holes. This angled the screen forward enough that nothing interferes with full lock (very much :evil).

See the spacers below. They are really just rubber plugs that I shortened and drilled a hole in for the bolt to pass through. I had to get longer bolts for this all to work.

[​IMG]

The biggest upside is that the forward lean of the screen is something I had wanted to try anyway so that I could direct the wind up and over my helmet a little better. Turns out it works great and I'm really happy with the setup. I'm sure Dart wouldn't want to warranty the screen since I have made revisions to its fitting, but that's a risk I am willing to live with.
  18. bingbong

Oddometer:
    Solid work there, and thanks for the info. It's really nice when you adapt stuff and it works out good isn't. :D
  19. mcteague

mcteague Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2011 Street Triple last weekend. The R model was sold out everywhere and the 2012s, with the new ugly headlights, were due by Fall. As I weigh 160lbs and won't put it on the track I figured I could get by with the standard model. Plus I got it for about $600 off list. As the R is $700 more I saved $1300 overall which can be used for upgrades.

It is the most fun motorcycle I have ever ridden. So light, torquey and maneuverable. The gearbox is much smoother than my FZ6 and, as a naked, there is no noisy buffeting off the windscreen as there was with the Yamaha. The suspension is firm but well controlled. The brakes seem more than up to the task. I'm sure the R is better but, for my riding, I think the right choice was made.

The exhaust note is really nice and much louder than expected, not too crazy about that as I hate loud bikes. The Street does just what I want a bike to do; it makes all rides a blast. The power curve and super light handling make even slow rides a blast. It will be fun to see what it can do once broken in!

Tim

Attached Files:

20. mcteague

mcteague Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another photo from my first ride, not counting the one home from the dealer.

Tim

Attached Files: