Let's talk about socks

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mysticbus, Oct 30, 2013.

1. DJacobsen5116

DJacobsen5116 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for SOKZ made by CIMA in Italy. I have several pair, wash them Washer iin Woolite after turning them inside out, hang them on the shower to dry overnight. Comfortable from 40 degress up to about 105 (my temperature extremes) and haven't worn out in three seasons.
  2. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:
    +1 for SmartWool PhD (I have the snowboarding flavor). The extra height is nice in moto boots, can use 'em for all kinds of activities.

I've always said if I win the lotto I'd have a NEW pair of socks every day — especially SmartWools. Mmmmm.... :rofl
  3. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darn Tough.

Made here in Vermont.

I hiked the 300 mile long trail in these Merino socks and no stink feet.
  4. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merino wool is the next best thing after bacon and beer, nuff said.

Buy whatever style that suits your needs, be it from SmartWool or any other brand, ski model, crew model, PhD model, thin or thick, blue or brown, your choice. With no less than 65-70% wool content and be done with it.
  5. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Soccer sock work well for me and my tall boots hightech fabric, and snug but not too snug
    Otherwise I use thin wool socks.
  6. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I really like outlast for socks. I can wear a pair for a week without the socks getting stinky.

Wore a pair for 10 days straight in one of the hottest desserts on the planet. Wearing them under snug Gearne balance oiled boots.

For those types of adventures I used to just buy cheap stuff at walmart and throw em out or burn em after. This time they came home with me.

Mine are Wigwam and have padding in teh bottom of the feet and shin. Have 3 pairs. Enough for a RTW trip

Even my suit socks are outlast
  7. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought http://roadgear.com/coconut-socks-tall-p-108.html these and even with my 19" calves they go all of the way up and rarely fall down. I have been wearing them for work too (12 and 16 hour days) and love them. I still want to try the Revit socks and a few others but the costs of socks is crazy!
  8. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    I have 2 pairs of those, they get stinky in a matter of hours in NE humidity.

I got them at the NY motorcycle show, next day I wore em all day during the show. Just walking around the Javitz center for 6 or 8 hrs and they got disgusting by the time I got home.
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    another football/baseball/soccer sox fan here . . . . . Target or SportMart have em inexpensively -- wicking (a must for me) tall (ditto) and comfy (ditto squared).

If it's colder, smart wool.

Happy dogs are important to me.
  10. ssevy

ssevy retired and riding the backroads

Oddometer:
    I used to love my smartwool socks, but then they began wearing out very quickly. Probably changed the manufacturing or offshored them? I found the Darn Tough brand, and they are amazing. I wear them year round, and they wear like iron. Eastern Mountain Sports has a deal where you buy 3 pairs and they give you a 4th one. Four pairs has lasted me for two years.
  11. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    I use mostly snowboarding socks. I've got a couple pairs of Burton and 3 of Solomon, all synthetic and great. I think they're in the $10/pair range, cheaper during sales. I also use them for snowboarding :D.
  12. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's isn't any good. I'm spoiled with the "humidity" here in CA :D

What have you found that works better? EDIT.........just read a few posts above. The outlast socks....I will have to look for those.
  13. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    imho...

go to REI. buy the REI branded socks that are hanging right next to the smart wool socks.

i love smart wool, but i find the REI branded stuff that competes with them to work just as well, last longer, and cost less. (they might be merino wool, don't remember for sure.)
  14. longlostson

longlostson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like Rocky S2V socks, its like a little hug for your feet.
  15. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Oh don't get me wrong, if I were in the SW or California I would totally go coconut.

I wore coconut socks up in the Black Rock desert last year and they were great, but the NE humidity kills em.

I'll have to double check to see if it's 100% coconut or not, might be mixed with cotton.
  16. wjpjump

wjpjump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a hold of some darn tough brand. Good shin protection. Guaranteed for life.
  17. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    I wear wool ski boot socks.
  18. Stalky Tracker

Stalky Tracker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2 for SmartWool PhD (snowboarding version). Over-calf is real nice with taller boots.
  19. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on this. I've gotten several pair in August, half price. But recently I picked up a couple pair of Point 6 socks (former SmartWool people). Even better. Reinforced heel that lasts longer, perfect thickness.
  20. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously wool is the first choice.
    Smart wool has a name recognition but their sock fall apart. I will never buy them again.

Best wool socks are made by DarnTough and they stand beside their product with a great guarantee!