Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    TR2 D3 530exc
  2. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    Hack #140 on the list . Can I please be changed to tent camping.

Also have a question as we are trying to crunch numbers. Won't hold anyone to it and did try to do some research through past years ride reports but can't find anything on pricing for the event? Someone got a rough number they can throw out? Tent camping and three dinners. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Chris
  3. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

$90 ish if you're riding in, tenting, and all dinners. Further donations always appreciated.
  4. Hack

Hack .......

Oddometer:
    ^^ Thank you.
  5. S_Palmer

S_Palmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The skill levels are set by the ride leader in the listed rides. More discussion can take place about what that ride entails as well as sights and attractions on the route. Skill level also has to do with speed capability. Some of us ride faster than others...wink-wink. We try to match up comparable skill, trail difficulty, pace, length etc. with the riders.

In previous years there were more than a dozen rides setup. I keep saying we need to be patient and let ride leaders decide on what and where, then post their rides up. You can bet Joel will be asking those that can to step up and start a ride. We still have plenty of time for this process to run it's course.
  7. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep, what Browneye said, plus the routes can vary with "current conditions".. You will see other threads in the West about what it's like in DV at this moment ! Example the steps at Goler wash right now are relatively easy but 2 1/2 miles up canyon have become much more difficult than they normally are..

Right now South Pass sounds tougher than normal too due to a storm that went through in August.... This condition will change with the winter weather and all the Jeeps that pass through, so who knows what it will be like at the end of March.. :wink:

Many of us will be up at DV 2 or 3 times before the NooBs Rally so we will have first hand knowledge to give the ride leaders.

Even if you are riding on a level road you have to be ready for washouts (across the entire road as well as on the edge), deeper sand, silt beds, large rocks embedded in the road (pinch flats are a pain)..

The size / weight of the bike makes a big difference too. Lots of miles makes a big bike enjoyable when riding the paved roads and graded roads to get to some of the sights like Racetrack, at the expense of having a tough time if you attempt to do Lippencott Mine Rd back to PSR.

8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    As of a couple weeks ago:

• Saline Valley to hunter mountain - Easy very N00B Friendly.

• Hunter Mountain - Easy same as above

• Hidden Valley - Easy but some soft spots, can be a challenge to new riders on big bike. Last bit to Tea Kettle a little rough just slow down a bit.

• Tea Kettle to Race Track - Pretty bad shape, number of washouts that come up suddenly. Have to be aware of this and ride accordingly. N00B friendly on 650cc and smaller, big bike doable just have to watch your pace.
    • Lippencott - pretty rough shape with some VERY tough downhill sections that are whooped out due to jeeps coming up. The long grind at the end back to Saline is cobblier and rockier than last year.
    • South Pass between Lippencott and Hunter MT - This was the worse of it, only one really bad section that was very tough due to losing all speed to make the sharp turns which are pretty close together.
    Like all things in DV the conditions may change, a single pass from the grader would take are of S Pass, Lippencott will most likely remain a challenge well into spring.

Don't know if this helps much but I did the loop on a 990 and S Pass was the hardest part, followed by a few sections on Lippencott. I would NOT recommend this loop for a new rider regardless of what bike they are on. Better off making a right at Tea Kettle and heading to the crater and back via pavement. A new rider on bigger bike will most likely be spent by that point anyways. Distance for this loop is about 120 miles.

Of course you can always backtrack and go home via Hunter Mountain, yes it is that nice of a ride doing it in reverse is just as fun (assuming there is no snow). I figure the distance is about the same as the full loop.

Hope that helps.
  9. baybueller

baybueller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    # 167 Robert (baybueller).I have a friend that would like to truck in (klx 250) , stay in the RV, and partake in fri/sat meals. This would be his first M.M., A true event Noob but experienced rider.
    Thanks. His name is Steve H.
  10. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    OK. I added him to waiting list.
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can the organizers please make sure the thread count on my Motel sheets are 400+, the pillow mints need to be gluten free and the water in the room should be Smartwater chilled to precisely 48 degrees.

Thank you....
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    You forgot to request the bikini bike wash...
  13. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Wow, this is starting to sound just like the last BMW rally I attended
  14. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  15. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody wants to see Joel washing bikes in a bikini.
  16. DSM8

Oddometer:
    fixed
  17. hiflynbrd

hiflynbrd I know that shortcut Supporter

Oddometer:
    ray(hiflynbrd)) – MC3 – D3 - kle650

I will use a hammock if there's anything to hang from or a tent or maybe just under the stars.
  18. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    :poser Good luck to find a tree out there for your hammock... :jack
  19. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Just string it between two BMW's they dont move much anyways.

:hide

:lol3
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:

:fyyff :lol3