Side Rack for soft luggage for an 09 800GS??

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Boston Mangler, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler I Just Don't Care!

Oddometer:
    Helping a friend setup his bike with some nice Wolfman Rocky Mountain saddle bags. He has an 09 800GS. The vario case mounts on it wont support the soft luggage without it hitting the exhaust. Any ideas on an easy bolt on solution that he won't have to sell an appendage for? They make lots of these types of things for dual sports and dirt bikes, but not seeing anything for the 800. Looking for something simple, preferably cheap! :)

Something along the lines of these would be nice, anyone? THANKS!:

http://shop.ktm.com/uk_en/powerparts/travel/luggage-street/luggage-rack.html

I've seen the ones from Happy Trails, but everyone seems to be unhappy with them lately. Anyone else?
  2. Sandbogg

Sandbogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These guys make bags and a rack for them that is very reasonable. Bolted right on to my F650GS. They sell the rack separately -- don't know if they would work with the bags you have in mind.
    http://www.dbzproducts.com/
  4. Boston Mangler

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I dont see the 800 lised on their site, but i will contact them!
  5. Boston Mangler

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Just spoke to them on the phone.

Are you running wolfman luggage on your racks? They claim it wont work with Wolfman. Hmmm

Thanks
  6. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have their bags - the bags are not waterproof but they have waterproof inner bags available and I live in So Cal so it's not an issue. As to the racks with the Wofman bags - no idea how they would hook up. If you want i can send u pix of the mounted racks. Happy trails has a lighter cheaper rack for soft bags but no experience with them.
  7. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The racks from dirt bagz will not work with the wolfman saddle bags. I have the racks from brmoto on my gs and the wolfman bags attach just fine to them. The wolfman bags attach with four connection points to the rack and the two straps go over the seat to support the weight of the bags. If your looking for a rack to fit the bags you need something that has a square or oval backing surface for the bags to rest against. Personally I would go with the brmoto racks as those where the ones wolfman originally sold with their bags. Hope this helps.