BajaGPSGuide

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by WoodButcher, Aug 19, 2008.

1. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody purchased the electronic routes from www.bajagpsguide.com

It appears that you need the Fugawi software to read them. I'm trying to figure out if you can use something like GPSbabel to convert them to gpx files and save the cost of Fugawi.

Or does someone have Fugawi that could open them and save them as gpx files for me? Actually, not for me, but for my brother-in-law. They are heading to Baja and thought the routes might be useful.

Feel free to talk him out of these routes too. I've just pointed him to GPXexchange for Baja routes too.
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    A good Baja map like the Baja Almanac and Google Earth are all you really need to make your own tracks. gpsxchange has some good stuff as well. Also download tracks from old SCORE races as well.

If you are totally unfamiliar with Baja then the Lizard Lady stuff is good to get you started exploring the region. However, there is nothing in the Lizard Lady stuff that you cant get for free somewhere else, but she does make a very nice guide with good information that will help get you into Baja. Dont know about your Fugawi comment though. The Lizard Lady guides I have seen simply provide waypoint coordinates and course description sheets. You type in the waypoints to Mapsource, make the route then upload into the GPS, then follow the route using the provided description sheet. Its pretty good stuff and worth the price if you are a Baja n00b. However, if you are somewhat familiar with riding Baja I would save your money.

Anytime I go to Baja now, I simply take off and make my own route as I go, much more of an adventure that way IMO.
  3. MrClean619

MrClean619 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello
    Any luck getting gps files from Lizard Lady?
    looking for Baja files

any help is welcomed

Tks
  4. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, that was 15 years ago when i asked. Maybe someone else will respond.