test riding bikes...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by blatant, Jun 5, 2011.

1. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is mostly for the craigslist crowd, rather than the established adv'er, but as a buyer I'd want to test ride anything i buy. However selling a really nice bike(as I am currently) makes it a challenge since you don't know the test rider, financially or mentally. I have a pretty hard time simply allowing someone to ride off. It's not the stealing aspect but the wrecking aspect along with insurance, liability and no bike...and if they can walk or whatever can pretty much say "sorry" and leave.

The local dealer has told me many horror stories of people wrecking bikes, more often than you think.

What do you tell people when they say they want to test ride. I've been told "you can hold my bike and license" till i come back. Whatever. If you wreck it i'm still screwed.

I want to sell the bike and not be a dick but from viewing this thing and listening to it and even viewing me ride it in a circle, you can tell it's cherry. (or is that just an owner speaking)
  2. dirtard

dirtard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    absolutly no test rides without cash in hand. period. a legit buyer wont have a problem with it. its the punks that are just goin for a joyride that mind.
  3. 32vsnake

32vsnake Now I lay me down to sleep

Oddometer:
    X2....I've always had a no ride policy in place when selling and for sure it's made people walk away. But if they don't have the cash to put up then I don't even consider them legit buyers
  4. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I have sold at least 10 over Craigslist and come to think of it, not one person asked me to ride the bike.

I would say "let me hold the cash".
  5. nzcvlh

nzcvlh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've created at waiver that basically says, if you damage, you agree to buy at asking price. I've never had to "execute" it, but I have had folks decline the ride when presented with it. If nothing else, its a good filter and scares away the folks that are not serious anyways.
  6. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a waiver's all good and well but if the test riding party is judgment proof or otherwise, it doesn't mean shit. So, as well intentioned as you may be it ultimately mean's jack. If you can't collect you can't collect, the law will be on the side of the bullshit rider.
  7. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    I have sold a few bikes on Craigslist and a couple on eBay as well. I state in the ad that test rides are allowed only if I have agreed upon sale amount in cash in my hand. No one has ever questioned or argued this.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sell about 3 bikes a year, never allow a test drive, I will let them run it through the gears on a stand in my shop. I do give a 5 minute, 5 mile no question full refund warranty. After they pay me the full amount in cash, they can bring the bike back for any reason for a full refund as long as the bike is in the same condition it left in. It has never cost me a sale.
  9. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Good idea on the test ride... I have a question for those who sell a lot of bikes, I haven't sold one yet but might soon...

How do you go about documenting or disclaiming bike issues? Say if there has been a history of warranty and repair work on the bike and you are selling "as is". How can you ensure the buyer doesn't come back trying to cause trouble because the bike has another issue later on down the road? :ear
  10. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Err, tell them to fuck off and slam the door in their face? Used vehicles are sold without a warranty. Because you're a good guy and you want a good price, by all means offer a report from your mechanic saying it's roadworthy. Hell, offer to have it checked by a shop of the buyers choice (on the buyer's dime, subject to a deposit). But once it rolls off your drive, it's not your problem anymore. As long as you sold it in good faith, there's not much action they can take against you.
  11. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    +1. Why on earth would you ever agree to anything other than this? :eek1 If it comes back with even a scratch on it that wasn't there before, they bought it.
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
  13. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've only sold three bikes via craigslist but I always place in the ad

"Test rides only allowed with cash in hand, proof of legal riding endorsement on your license and appropriate riding gear."

Remember that if they wreck, its YOUR insurance that covers them.

I've only had non-serious buyers ask for a test ride and I stand firm. Why is it that its always the fucksticks without any money that want a ride but the legitimate buyers never ask to ride?
  14. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

I think you answered your own question :rofl
  15. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump b/c i think this will end up being a very long ongoing thread, that will be very helpful when common sense gets fogged.

I consequently will be picking my buyer up this weekend. Bike non test rode. Several email, gut feeling, thorough pics and truthful disposition.

Buying/selling a bike, as often mentioned, is a touch of trust, a lot of gut feeling and some " i hope this doesn't get fcked up" luck. If they are not local. such as flying in.

I believe, if you advertise your junk correctly and do not hold back or mis advertise, then there is not going to be an issue.

If anyone wants details of how the transaction went when there was a bank loan and not local parties pm me
  16. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    I too have tested every bike I bought and have never paid in advance. A seller should be able to assess a serious potential buyer.

Why should the buyer be at the mercy of a dishonest seller. What if the suspension is completely shot or the frame is damaged and the buyer returns for his money. The dishonest seller will simply say too bad. What recourse is available to the out of pocket buyer? It is much easier for the seller to take precautions than it is for the buyer who is required to pay the full price in advance.
  17. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    I have never had a problem explaining that a testride on my bike and my insurance isn't possible without cash in (my) hand. In a few cases the buyers asked me to demo the bike for them in the neighborhood which was no problem.
  18. fastredbike

fastredbike getting back in the fight Supporter

Oddometer:
    interesting thread, I've never been refused a test ride on a used bike, not sure how I'd feel if I was, it might not stop me from buying, though.

I think it's unrealistic to expect people to assess much by sitting on the bike in your driveway, my mechanic often can't do that and he's a trained troubleshooter familiar with the model/brand. He often rides the bike before and after a major service - the seat of your pants can tell you more than your eyes and ears much of the time.

I think the "bring it back in this condition within (insert your choice of very limited time options here) for a refund" is a good idea and would likely put me at ease if I couldn't test it.

I've sold several bikes privately and about 1/3 of the time was asked for a test-ride - I always felt OK about the guy and agreed - no issues. Never had anybody come back later with complaints either.

I did have one guy ask to have his mechanic look at the bike before he paid, I rode the bike over to the shop and was there for the verdict - had a refundable deposit in that case. No problems that time either, good buyer, loves the bike and I see him around town riding it.:thumb
  19. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I bought Sieg's '95 KLR650 sight unseen without a test ride...............but, I had ridden with him to the Arctic Circle on my KLR............the '95 KLR was UGLY for sure.....ran good though.