the project that shouldn't be

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by johnwesley, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dastard

Dastard Just another guy

Oddometer:
    Dude, you are awesome. Good luck with the new build

D
  2. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you're healing. This has been one of my favorite builds.

Looking forward to following along with the rebuild!

Tipsy
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have said if I ever did this again that I would do some things different. Now I have the opportunity. have a call in on a good frame with title so we'll see where that goes.

Should I keep it here or do a new build thread?
  4. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    My opinion, I'd start a new thread called "The project that shouldn't be: Part II."

I'd be interested in reading descriptions of what changes you're making and why you've decided to make those changes.

As a Buell rider and a former Sportster rider, I might be compelled to follow in your footsteps one day and would like the opportunity to learn from your mistakes and experiences.

Tipsy
  5. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep it here so we don't have to switch back and forth.
    Won't it be a new to you frame, like the one you had, just a different VIN #?
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    same dimensions different vin. Should pick it up next week. I will have a spare motor to build:evil now lets see I think 88" should be enough for gettin' dirty:wink:
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

There's always the S&S 100" . It may be fun to have a dirt bike with 140 rwhp and an equal amount of torque. :lol3
  8. JimmyTheHog

JimmyTheHog Low Speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive been eye'ing that motor myself for a while!!! Pricey though :eek1

Do you know if there are any mods required to drop it in ?
  9. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    You will have to have the cases bored to fit the big bore and on some cases need clearance machined. That's not normal but has happened. If you buy the SS kit then you have all you need. I'm looking at the axtell mountain motor. A little less money and you still have the same rpm capability, plus no change in engine heigth. I have to put a new crank in the motor on the donor bike, so while it's apart might as well bore the cases, and the 88 kit is the same as a 1250. I'll go all cat iron, and build it as I go. No hurry since I have a nice sport motor in great shape.
  10. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Any updates on the bike? Are you all healed up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I'm healed up, got a donor bike for the frame, and have my engine in it. I'm on hold for a bit as I have tests for my Job coming up and am traveling alot. Mainly just boring stuff right now. Custom wiring harness stuff and basic parts swapping.
  12. Utah Bones

Utah Bones Gas X ready!

Oddometer:
    Awsome!
  13. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread after your reply to my 'sportster or KLR' thread. Wow, I am glad you are doing fine after your accident and I thought you had sold your bike. I think we exchanged email couple of times few months back?

Anyway, curious to see what you will be doing differently this time around. It sounds as if you really love your dual sportster so much I don't think you should abandon it but you got to do what you think is best for yourself.

This thread gave me few ideas what to do with my sportster. I contacted Rick about making a rear shock for sporty but haven't heard from him assuming he doesn't do sporty until I see that you used his fork springs and he helped you tweak your sporty a bit. Maybe I should give him a call instead of email and see what he can do. Maybe he can do my forks and I'll just go with Works Performance rear shocks if he doesn't do sporty rear shock. I'd like to try and keep my sporty closer to factory setting but raise it up off the ground a bit and make a 2-in-1 exhaust pipe but the front exhaust pipe will run above the base of motor like Dough Wothke did with his Dirtster. But I think I would add spark arrestor muffler on right side and a dummy muffler on other side so I can make a safety box(with key) in there to keep important documents for my Central/South America trip. At least that's on my drawing board but doesn't mean it will go forward. We will see.
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I have my little shot of fame, a pic of my bike made it into Motorcycle consumer news

[​IMG]
    ZachM1 likes this.
  15. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Now, did you get it back together yet?
  16. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I asked JimmyTheHog same question on his sportster build thread and I am gonna ask you same question :norton

Where did you get your from? buchananspokes.net? What rim is it beside it being Excel rim? Was it 40 holes rim? Check out Page 3 of my sportster building thread and see what I got for free from my H-D dealer. :evil
  17. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Takasakgo excel rim. I had woody's do the work and they superlaced it. I had double butted over sized SS spokes. I love woody's wheel works they have done all my work with out any issues. Very dependable, very strong.
  18. Longdude

Longdude Tall Geezer !

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Just read through your thread (took some time), I'm thinking of doing a similar conversion to an 883 over here in the UK. Just got to finish a full rebuild of a DR800 Suzuki BIG ( Marlboro Replica).

Your bike is a credit to you, very, very, good work.

Ps, we can do the Arctic circle as well, at the top of Norway (it's on my list).
  19. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    sounds like fun the arctic and beyond is good riding in my opinion

I have started a rebuild thread and it is linked in my sig line. I am still unsure of what direction I'm going to end up with. I had a friend send me some pics of my last off-road trip on the sporty and thought it was fitting for the end of this bike build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. KenBB

KenBB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice work! What's the latest on the bike?

This build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: johnwesley's Harley-Davidson XL1200S

We're currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you'd find in Google Images). *We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just send me a message with a link to the build thread and we'll take care of the rest.

Ken