South African ADVrider.com members

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Gruebane, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Cool Grizz, busy with the braai curently:1drinkstruggling at the moment our 4 days hauling pigs through Lesotho has my knees bitcin at me big time:eek1 took the GS out today after a hose down, WOW it was like a rigid!!! I had not turned the preload down after the Lesotho fully loaded settings:lol3
  2. grizz

grizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There you go....

Yesterdays ride.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831613

Just nice distance and scored some panniers (soft ones) for next year.
  3. flanmaximondo

flanmaximondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Danielle Murdoch, and I have been traveling from Australia to Africa for past 24 months on my DR350 Suzuki Motorcycle. I left home thinking this adventure would take only 2 years, but as I have discovered you cannot put a deadline on this kind of journey.

I am due to be in South Africa from early December onwards and should be in and around South Africa for a few months. I was wondering if anyone knows of any business / organisation / group who might be interested in having me speak about my trip too.

Here is a link to more information about my Danielle Murdoch Talks website (www.daniellemurdoch.com) and my
    Motomonkey Adventures website (www.motomonkeyadventures.com) where I post anything to do with my Australia to Africa adventure.

Thanks for any help in advance!
  4. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    try the Wilddogs forum
  5. flanmaximondo

flanmaximondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps - I will look into that.
  6. JIM MORRIS

JIM MORRIS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FLANMAXIMONDO (Danielle). Firstly comgratulations on your choice of motorcycles. I have 2 1998/1999 models which combined have well over 100 000 kms of off-road touring in Central, Southern and East Africa. It is hard to think of anything lacking with these bikes.

As previously suggested by Welshman, the Wilddog Group in South Africa has members who would be interested in hearing your tales. (I am JIMBO on that forum). I have previously hosted pre-ride, and post-ride discussion groups at my house in Fourways, Johannesburg. I am confident I could organize such a group, unless you had something on a grander scale in mind.

On another note, I have a fully equiped DR Suzuki friendly workshop, and good relations with a local Suzuki Dearler, you would be welcome to make use of when in Johannesburg.

Keep in touch re your progress.
  7. ZamPete

ZamPete it is what it is

Oddometer:
    Jim Morris, I'll have to keep you in mind. My 1994 DR650 and I live up in Livingstone, Zambia, but I stay with my friends right near Fourways when I visit Joburg.

If there's ever a ride up my way, let me know and you can camp at my place on the Zambezi.
  8. JIM MORRIS

JIM MORRIS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you ZamPete. I will also keep you and Livingstone in mind. Same when you are in Fourways next.

I have had a trip to Northern Zambia in the back of my mind for some time now. I mean the area between Lake Mweru and Lake Tanganyika. I did a lot of exploration / route surveys in that area some years back, but in a Landrover. Would like to spend a few weeks there again with a bike. I am hankering for some of those fresh water bream fish you get out of Lake Mweru.

Cheers
  9. flanmaximondo

flanmaximondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot Jim, I havent had the chance to contact wild dogs yet - that's next on the agenda (yes even overlanders have a work schedule!) Im going to be in J'burg from the 24th of November for a couple of months as I have visitors from then onwards and over the christmas period. So, how ever big or small the group is - it doesnt matter!

As for the workshop - thats fantastic! I have a few modifications I want to do before I start heading north once again! And after the last 1000km dirt track i just took in Tanzania, my bike is shaken to pieces and now needs some tender loving care once again!

Thanks again fallow DR350 rider! (I use to have another 94 model but I had to sell it before leaving on this trip)
    Danielle
  10. JIM MORRIS

JIM MORRIS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FLANMAXIMONDO. OK, I do not think getting a group together will be a problem, but you never know - especially with wild dogs.

I am off tomorrow (25/10/12) on my "VOLCANO RUN" to an extinct volcao in Namibia. I should be back in Johannesburg around 3rd /4th Nov. I will then be here for the foreseeable future. If you like to think about a talk date we can discuss it after 4th Nov. Of course you are welcome to the workshop immediately when you arrive in Johannesburg.

Cheers.
  11. flanmaximondo

flanmaximondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

Sorry, I was a bit late checking this forum. I will be in J'burg around the 24 of November and I will be around for at least 6 weeks due to friends and family visiting over christmas. Why dont I just contact you when I get there and we can discuss something then? Or if you want to arrange times and dates now - that is also fine. Its just I am currently in Malawi and will be hitting the Mozambique border in a day or two and might be out of contact for some time. You can contact me through my website (that goes to my email box).

I am really looking forward to getting to South Africa!
    Danielle
  12. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, a question on the seasons: my electrical breakdown in Tanzania has lead me to riding into Southern Africa during the rainy season. How is riding through South Africa and Namibia going to be during December and January? I know it'll be prime season for the Cape but how about up thru the passes?
    cheers and see you when I get there :ricky
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its not bad at all, the Cape has a typically winter rainfall so its only the NE part of the country that gets rain. Mostly its sunshine with some rain sometimes in the the afternoon, perhaps 20 wet, miserable, rainy days per year at most so youre good to go! :thumb Be prepared for anything just in case, which after your South American travels should be pretty easy. It'll be mostly hot.
  14. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good info :beer
  15. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    The cape won't be busy. Well it will be full of holiday makers from other provinces but its not nearly as had as you imagine. The cape gets hot, around 30 to 45c in land during summer. Temps around cape town is typically around 27 to 34c.

Pm me when you are here and we will go for a beer.:evil
  16. JIM MORRIS

JIM MORRIS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FLANMAXIMONDO. I have settled on Saturday 15th December, at my possie in Fourways, Johannesburg. I am hoping you will be here and available by then to tell us about your motorcycle travels. I intend to sponsor a barbaque / braai for the occassion. It will be BYO meat and drinks. I will post the details on the Wilddog forum, and ask other interested and interesting persons. If this date suits you, or even a maybe I will kick it off in a few days. If it definitely does not suit, please say so ASAP. I may still go ahead with an "Adventure Party" of some description.

I would expect to net 15 to 25 people, but who knows??

I hope you can make it.

Cheers. morris@iafrica.com ++2782 553 8552.

Some recent Ride Reports (still in the making) you might find amusing.

www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=110880.0 Vol;cano Run.

www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=106842.0 Kruger Fence Day 1-2

www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=106926.0 Kruger Fence Day 3-4
  17. flanmaximondo

flanmaximondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim that's perfect! Go ahead with the planning, I will email you with a few tech details questions. But other than that I am looking forward to it.

I will also be bringing my boyfriend (who is also spent the last 2.5 years travelling around Africa (from Holland) on his DR650.

Danielle
  18. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Sounds good :beer
    I'm finally underway and think my bike problems are solved :D Did 250 trouble free kms, so far, on the shores of Lake Tanganyika.

Yay, Dani :clap
    She'll put on a good show, boys :ricky
  19. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Got a blog ?
  20. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Hummm first post in a month here, well merry whotsits anyway:1drink