Baja Designs vs Polisport HMX LED Dual Headlight

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by blue dog, Jun 17, 2012.

1. blue dog

blue dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a crf230f I need a headlight we ride for hours at night, can someone steer me in the right direstion?

I was looking at Polisport HMX LED Dual Headlight figured my stock charging could keep up but don't know how bright it would be.

Or should I get the Baja Designs 35w and up grade the stator if I have problems keeping the battery charged?

how does the polisport led compare to the 35w Baja Designs? Thanks
  2. blue dog

blue dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone?
  3. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BD Squadron is a very good light. I can't even find any info on the Polysport website about their LEDs so it's hard to even guess what they may be like. While a bit pricey, I'd go for the BD light. There is a 10% discount for Adv members.

Cheers,
  4. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check these guys out. I have no affiliation - but I'll probably end up getting one... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766161
  5. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    My experience with Baja Designs has been that anything they themselves produce is crap, and anything decent they have is someone else's product with their name stuck on it. Case in point, they use a circuit board in their dual sport kits to regulate power and run turn signals. The box it's in behind the headlight isn't even dust & moisture resistant. I recommend talking to the folks at www.sicassracing.com.
  6. Baja Designs

Baja Designs The Scientist of Lighting

Oddometer:
    hey blue dog
    A baja designs 35w dual sport kit would be a great option. We have sold thousands of these kits and as with all of our products have a lifetime warranty :D. Also another great option if you want even more light would be a Baja Designs Squadron LED motorcycle light (#66-0100-BK) that uses four cree xml leds putting out 3600 lumens and drawing only 3.6 amps, and MJS is right forum members get 10% off.

Thanks MJS for your support it is greatly appreciated :thumb

Muddyrabbit im sorry you feel that way about our product. Baja Designs strives to make high quality components whether it be for motorcycles, cars, or trucks. If you still have a Baja Designs product and are having issues we would be happy to get everything fixed for you.

Thanks
    Mike
    BD
  7. kingkong414

kingkong414 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Muddy, but I have to disagree with ya. I have A Baja Designs 8in HID on my xr650r and I run dual hids on my race bike. I also use their helmet light. I think they all are the highest quality. We ran two 8in HID lights in last years Baja 500 and the performed flawlessly. Most of the top race teams run their gear.
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Well, I had their basic kit on an XR400, after 2 months the little circuit board fried and nothing worked. When I opened the box up that holds the battery and circuit board behind the head light there was a ton of dust and moisture. I called them, they said it was product abuse and told me to pound salt. There wasn't even any kind of seal to keep dust out. Went with components from SicAssRacing and had everything done for much less $$, but it did take more time, and never had another problem. Hopefully customer sevice and circuit board protection has improved. Funny thing though, didn't need a circuit board with the kit from SicAss, just a regulator rectifier and icc flasher relay. Way less complicated in my opinion, and opinions is what the O.P. asked for.
  9. blue dog

blue dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    will the Squadron bolt right up to my bike? and would my stock stator keep up better than the 35watt kit
  10. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The light attaches with straps around the forks. Mounting to your bike should not be an issue. I think your stator output is around 60 watts max at 5000 rpm. That's minimal IMO even for a 35 watt light. In theory its enough but it might be marginal for low speed riding and charging the battery. I'd probably invest in a stator rewind just for the peace of mind.
  11. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone have the link to the light testing thread. i'm liking that squadron would it work on a stock 2003 ktm 525 exc (stock stator) i have a bd dual sport kit now. thanks in advanced
  12. blue dog

blue dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Baja Designs

Oddometer:
    Hey blue dog
    Just wanted to let you know we do stator rewinds as well, the benefit of getting your stator hand rewound is you know the
    stator fits perfectly and dont have to worry about it causing a leak later down the road or anything like that. Aftermarket stators are made in china and sometimes work great but Chinese company's definitely can't duplicate an oem part.
    Also forum members get 10% discount
    If you have any questions feel free to give me a call or pm me
    Thanks
    Mike
    BD
    760 560 2252
    ext 101
  14. Baja Designs

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745429&page=23&highlight=light
    is that the link your looking for?

Right now your bike is running your headlight in ac to run the squadron you could keep the stock stator you would just need a regulator/rectifier and the ground float on your stator. Some guys do the ground float themselves its somewhat simple and we have some instructions for diy. If you dont feel comfortable doing that we can do that for you, and we sell regulator/rectifiers if you wanna go with ours :D
    Also you get a forum member discount of 10%
    If you have any questions feel free to give me a call or pm
    Thanks
    Mike
    BD
    760 560 2252
    ext 101
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you doing any on road?

Just released the dual sport fairing, might be overkill if you are not doing on road.

[​IMG]

Or we offer a 10w led that puts out 1500 lumens. For around $50!

Why upgrade your stator if you don't need to.
  16. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats the link, thanks. Alot of info there. i really really need errr want one of those lights.