AR SLAP Trax

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by DrLewall, Feb 17, 2011.

1. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    In this thread, we will post up trax for anyone interested in getting off road in Northwest Arkansas. There may even be some stuff out of Eureka Springs for the Hillbilly run.

So if you have anything to share, throw into the mix. I know Charlies and 10cup have trax north into MO and those would apply to the Hillbilly run, hopefully they will post em.

Would like to ask that you post a discription of the trax and if it would be BIG BIKE firendly for those with big bikes of course..so lets get to it.

Here is a "catalog" of what we have so far. These are in order both numerical and alphabetical. Distance is shown in 3 digits.. Ex. 050 is 50 miles, 085 is 85 miles, all one way, etc

The Arkansas 500, AR ADV Camp and Single Track routes are at the bottom of this post.

Let me know if you find a link that is not working.

NOTE: All of these are off road!

Most of these are "Big Bike" friendly..county dirt roads...Warloop and Pannell roads are NOT big bike friendly!

015-Mountainberg to Alma, back roads

045-Devils Den back to WR via different route from that listed below

046-White Rock to Devils Den State Park

050-White Rock to Natural Dam

055 FYV to Tahlequah Big bike friendly

058-White Rock to Historical Ft Smith, Judge Parkers Court and Museum-WESTERN ROUTE

064-White Rock to Historical Ft Smith, Judge Parkers Court and museum-EASTERN ROUTE

065-White Rock to Ozone Burger Barn, hwy 21

066-White Rock to the Confederate Cemetery in Fayetteville. Big bike friendly

066.5-Elvis rotue from White Rock to Natural Dam-Bonus, two routes in this download, another Rte to Partheon..rotue, not a track

067-White Rock to Praire Grove Civil War Battlefield

070-White Rock to historical Cabin..east of hwy 21

074-White Rock loop over the Bobby Hopper Tunnel on I-540

075-FYV to Buffalo River

080-White Rock to Eureka Springs/Wasburn MO, part 1 of 2

083-ROUTE-Olearys WR, Morgan Mtn to St Paul

083-TRACK-Olearys WR, Morgan Mtn St Paul

086-TAT-Western AR to OK state line

088-Oark to Low Gap (Buffalo River)

093-round trip FYV to Ntrl Dam

094 FYV to Jasper via dirt

096-White Rock to Eureka Springs/Wasburn MO, part 2

097-Shores Lake south to Bobby Hopper Tunnel

100-Siloam to Pannell & Ntrl Dam back to FYV This is a route

100-White Rock to Whoopteedo Rd.

106 Woody ride east from WR Medium size bike..unk if route or track

108-White Rock to Jasper AR

110-Siloam to Pannell & Ntrl Dam w/more dirt back to FYVThis is a route

121-FYV to Natural Dam via Bobby Hopper tunnel and Pannell Rd. WARNING- Pannell Rd NOT BIG BIKE FRIENDLY!

126-Wookazoid Trax, east of Oark

135-FYV to Pineville MO Big bike friendly

140 Caddo GapTRACK

141-White Rock thru Oark to the Ozark Ntl Forest east of hwy 21--trax from Zecatfish-part NOT big bike friendly

147-White Rock to Ima Jerk BBQ via Bobby Hopper Loop-ROUTE Very scenic Loop from WR to Ntl Dam and back

147-TRACK for the WR to Ima Jerk BBQ above

153 FYV to Ponca

155 - Track, Bull Shoals Dayride by O'Leary

156 FYV-Rudy Loop Very big bike friendly, can be run from Ft. Smith also. This is a ROUTE

181-Bobby Hopper Tunnel, Pannell Rd, Oark..route from JasonK94Z-not big bike friendly

195 Woody Ride west of WR Medium bike friendly--unk if route or tack

200 Withrow Springs to Oark-ROUTE

200 Withrow Springs to Oark-TRACK

209-ROUTE-Oleary's loop to Natural Dam for lunch then massive "Iron Butt" ride

209-TRACK-Olearys "Iron Butt' Loop

238-Haw Creek Loop thru the Ozarks-use the WR to Whoopteedo Rd to get to Haw Creek..this is a route from JasonK94Z

238-Haw Creek Loop MODIFIED by Zecatfish--some of these roads are not on any maps

Chimney Rock

Evlis's Ntl Dam Warloop and Pannell Rds loop..NOT BIG BIKE FRIENDLY! distance unk

BYPASS-Lee Creek/Pannell Rd. 32 mile bypass to Natural Dam..this will keep you off Pannell Rd and out of Lee Creek

BYPASS-Warloop road. This will keep you off Warloop Rd

Frog Bayou--EXPERIENCED RIDERS ONLY! Rough Single track

MAPS-Link to DualSportsmaps dot com

MAPS-links to free topo maps to use in Mapsource

Tutorial--How to add a 2nd route in Mapsource

AR ADV Camp Trax

140 Withrow Springs-route

140 Withrow Springs-track

155 Bull Shoals Dayride-route

155 Bull Shoals dayride-track

155 LongPool-route

155 LongPool-track

200 Withrow Springs-route

200 Withrow Springs-track

140 Caddo Gap ROUTE-Wolf Pen-Clock Wise-big bike friendly

140 Caddo Gap ROUTE-Wolf Pen-Counter Clock Wise-big bike friendly

140 Caddo Gap Track

Arkansas 500

O'leary trax-day 2

AR5002014-gpx All 3 days in one GPX file

Day 1 170 mi, Turpcrk to Longpool

Day 2 183 mi, Longpool to Buffalo Point

Day 3 150 mi Buffalo Point to TurpCreek

Byrds ADV Center

Small bike trail by Newner
    SLAP 2017 There are 8 gpx here, unknown if they are ROUTES or TRAX. Also unknown if they are big bike friendly. There is a link to another thread probably with more info on these

Hillbilly DS out of Eureka Springs

Eureka Springs to Oark, or vice versa--071 miles

Hillbilly DS out of the HUB

049 Compton thru Buffalo River to hwy 7

RAZORBACK RIDERS FALL RALLY

Single Track

Single Track at Frog Bayou O'Leary track

Bryds ADV Ctr

SLAP at Bryds 2014 Not big bike friendly!

Mill Creek

TIGHT WOODS SINGLE TRACk at Mill Creek

EVEN TIGHTER WOODS SINGLE TRACK at Mill Creek

SINGLE TRACK-White Rock to Frog Bayou

SINGLE TRACK-From WR to Mill Creek

SINGLE TRACK-Blue loop at Mill Creek
  2. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Roughly 100 miles one way, all county road with is big bike friendly. However, a big bike on Whoopeedo Rd will be a handfull. This is a road with a bunch of flood berms in it and it is abt 1.5 miles long..there is a bail out at the bottom..when you get to the bottom, just turn right on a county road and it will take you out to paved hwy 123, go north abt a mile or two and pick up your track back to White Rock

Attached Files:

3. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    This is a track to natural Dam from White Rock..abt 55 miles one way..this will take you down Warloop road, and you best be an "experienced" rider for Warloop..recommend a bike no bigger than 650cc..there have been some big GS's go down and I have seen one go up, but these guys know how to ride..you have been warned! And then there is Pannell Rd...NOT BIG BIKE FRIENDLY at all! With all the rain we have gotten, there will be slick red clay mud..again, you have been warned!

Natural Dam is just that, it's a natural rock formation that looks like a dam with water flowing over the top.

For a good burger, the gas station, within sight of the dam, is the place to go!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    This is a 'bypass' for those who do not want to go down Warloop road. It's roughly abt 8 miles down to hwy 71 in Mountainburg..there you can get gas and food.

This bypass is HIGHLY recommended if you are on a big bike (bigger than 650)..it basically takes hwy 348 from Warloop and Old Locke to Hickory Road down to hwy 71. Hickory Rd is dirt, smooth dirt and can be fast, but be aware, there are a couple of hairpin turns so watch your speed!

Mapsource 2011.1

Attached Files:

Magus likes this.
  5. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    This is good stuff! :clap more ideas for a camp/ride that i will be going down there for with a couple of friends. Wish i didn't have to move away from AR last year :cry
  6. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    we can give you more stuff...how abt a ride from White ROck to Jasper? Our only concern is the high water during our rainy season, commin up btw...this route will be over 100 miles one way..wonder if anyone would be interested?
    sawin44 likes this.
  7. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Here is the route I have planned thus far with the help of someone from here. I think this will be a great ride. I was planning on having us camp at Haw Creek, but I am open to other suggestions if y'all know anything better nearby. We prefer a campsite that is away from other people because we have been known to :freakyand carry on all night. Just need to be able to get there with a truck and a bike trailer.

[​IMG]
  8. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Longpool is a good camp ground..has showers too..it's just off hwy 7 (west of 7) just abt where your track is..it's a further drive for the truck tho..if you ride by the place, at least stop in and look it over for next time maybe
  9. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    This will take you from White Rock to Jasper. This will take you to Oark where you can get fuel and a meal. You will also pass thru the little town of Deer where, again, you can get fuel and a snack.

There is one RED FLAG way point that is on a steep downhill with a sharp turn at the bottom. The road is loose gravel thus the RED FLAG..SLOW DOWN HERE!

There will be some water crossings and there is a good chance you will get your feet wet. This is 108 miles long, one way

Mapsource 2010.1

Attached Files:

Magus likes this.
  10. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Doc, from Rosetta to Limestone to Nail was pretty neat, prolly already mentioned. One of the HBDS rides wound around in the Castle Bluffs area near Jasper. :clap
  11. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Dean, you got any trax for it?
  12. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm getting ready to show just how dumb I am when it comes to gps technology. If I wanted to download the route from white rock to the natural bridge then insert the bypass to go around the whoop de doo's then how would I do that?

Sorry to sound so stupid but I don't know how to make it do that without starting with a brand new route and lay it all out again from start to finish.
  13. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I'm new too, and I have been playing around in mapsource with routes. I can open both routes, and just move waypoints around until the route suits me, then recalculate it, etc.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the 60csx always orient the map with north at the top of the screen like a car gps!
  14. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Not sure Lee..may depend on your GPS..Maybe Charlie can be some help here..what I do is load several trax in the unit, and when I get to a point where I need to change trax, I bring it up in the unit and go from there..dunno if that helps or not, but it works for me...

Hmmm..I would think that the 60csx would "auto north"..most garmins do...I think if you go to your SET UP page you should see some symbols like a flag, a snake (track) an anchor etc..well under the N (North) symble, under ORIENTATION, scroll thru till you come to TRACK UP and set it there..hope this helps
  15. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doc. I'll look at that when I get home. Thinking of riding is a chore in itself, let a lone having to look at the gps and think, is that my left or my right? :huh
  16. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Turn unit on, hit menu twice, scroll to setup (wrench symbol) hit enter, scroll to map, enter, scroll right/left to map setup general, scroll down to top window, is orientation, you want north up vs track up..

I like north up too, but I get confused sometimes heading south when I have to decide which way to turn. :lol3
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Adding second route as a bypass into an existing mapsource file

1. Load your selected route into MapSource

2. Find the "User Data Tabs" window. Do this by clicking on the small arrow on the left of the map window near the top. Within the "User Data Tabs" window you find the "Routes" tab. Click it open. You will now see the name of the route listed there.

[​IMG]

3. Highlight the route name

4. Select "Show selected Route on Map" and the route appears on the map

5. Before you start making changes to your route insure that all of your tool bars are turned on. Do this by right clicking in a blank space above and outside of your map window. Put a tick mark in front of each of the tool bar categories.

[​IMG]

6. Find the part of the route where you intend to start your bypass or detour

7. Next find your "Route Tool" it will be in the same tool bar as the little hand. (Hover your cursor over each symbol and you will see the name of the function).

8. Depress the route tool button.

9. Place the cursor on the place you want to start the bypass and click there left click there, a line will now be attached to your cursor.

10. Next move your cursor to the place where you want the bypass or re-route to end. Then, left click again.

11. Now hit the escape button on your keyboard. This stops the rubber band line from moving where where you cursor moves and it will set and highlight the newly built bypass route.

12. Find the Way Point flag in your tool bar (also next to the hand), click the Way Point button and move your cursor where you started your bypass route and drop a Way Point ON THE ORIGINAL ROUTE just ahead of where your bypass begins and name it something like bypass begins. (now when you get there you will know it).

13. Look in your route tab again. You will now have two routes showing. The first will be the original route and the second will be some route named with seemingly random roads. You will want to change the name of the second route to something you will remember.

14. To change the name of the route do this. Highlight the name of the route/double click the name of the route.

15. This takes you to the "Route properties window"

16. In the route properties window you will find a tick box with the word "autoname" on it's right. Untick this box

17. Next, just above the "autoname" and tick box you will see a field for naming the route. Highlight and delete the existing name. Then rename it what you want (something like Whoops bypass).

Modifying an existing route to avoid something or make a route correction

1. Open your selected route

2. Choose the "Selection Tool" from the toolbar (same toolbar as the hand),

3. Click somewhere, anywhere on the route line. This will cause the route to show arrows on it.

4. Zoom your map into one mile.

5. Select map detail setting "Highest"

6. Use the "selection tool" and grab the route where you wish to change it by left clicking the route. You will now see a rubberband line. Pull the rubberband to the road you desire and left click again. The route will change to where you want it.

7. There are some things to remember when doing this:

A. You may have to perform this operation more than once along the previous route to get the route where YOU want it.

B. Sometimes when you do this you will see a partial left over route or route remnant where you first started to change the route. To get rid of this partial route move the selection tool cursor somewhere off the route and click.

The arrows on the route will disappear, the line will go solid. Next go to where the "old route" ends and find the end "route point or black dot" and left click on it. Once you click on it it will highlight in black, immediately right click it and then select "delete waypoint. You will get a confirmation window, click "yes" and the old route will go away (you may have to do this more than once to get rid of the entire previous route).

I did this on the fly so if something in this tutorial doesn't make sense or needs clarification let me know
  18. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Routes Tab
  19. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    This is 70 miles one way to an old cabin that some old feller has restored. The cabin is open to all and if the old man is there, be prepared for a history lesson. He loves to bend an ear or two while spilling old hillbilly yarns. There is a guest book inside so be sure to sign it. Take your camera!

You will pass thru Oark. Also, if you head back out to hwy 21 and turn south for abt 5 miles, on the right in Ozone, is the infamous Burger Barn. I will draw up a separate track for Burger Barn from WR

Mapsource 2010.1

Attached Files:

20. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    If you find that Oark or Catalapa is too busy to eat at, there is always the Burger Barn in Ozone. Burger are good and BIG...even tho the guy who serves you isn't all the friendly, he does put out a good product. I see it as, he aint got time to visit with everyone who comes to the window, if he did, the burgers wouldn't get done or they'd burn.

This is 65 miles one way

Mapsource 2010.1

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

CrankAddict likes this.