Harmonizer Vacuum Multi-Tool -- It ain't your Daddy's Twinmax

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Grok, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dear Riders,
    We regret to inform you that the genius behind this product has passed away unexpectedly.
    My father was a great man and he loved his product and this community. Thank you in advance for your patience.

We will be keeping this post up for information however all future Harmonizer update posts will be made as a reply to this thread by "Grok's Family".

Original Post:

Paypal and credit cards accepted.

Thanks everyone for your business!

Price - $139 USD
    US Domestic shipping $11 USPS Priority with free tracking
    International shipping $22 - USPS first class international (tracking not available)
    California residents pay sales tax
    International buyers pay duties if required by their country

US postal service Priority mail delivery is typically 1-3 days.
    US postal service first class international delivery is usually about a week, but varies by country.

You will be notified by e-mail when your unit ships (through Paypal's mechanism).

NEW OPTION for International Customers Only!

International 2-Pack Kit for customers outside the US.
    Kits contain 2 units without batteries or hoses (to save shipping weight and volume). Hose fittings, specifications, and instructions are included.

Price - $239 USD
    Shipping, USPS first class International - $24
    Plus import duties (if required by your country).

The Harmonizer - A 2-port Adventure Vacuum tool.

The Harmonizer is a small, portable, battery-powered, Vacuum Multi-Tool intended to aid powersports engine tuning and diagnostics. It works for both carbureted and fuel injected motors. In addition to vacuum and RPM measurements in two distinctly different modes, a few utility/convenience features have been included.

Vacuum Measurement and Tachometer Functions
    The Harmonizer has two Vacuum modes that both include tachometer functions. Balancer mode and Gauge mode. The Harmonizer measures the period of the vacuum pulses to calculate RPM.
    Balancer mode displays the difference in vacuum at the two ports. There is a center-zero representation similar to an analog meter, and a numeric representation in the range of +/- 999mbar. A smiley appears if the vacuum difference is 0 +/- 25mbar. The "needle" sensitivity auto-ranges. If you exceed the limits of the display, the sensitivity of the "needle" is cut in half. The numeric display always resolves to 1 mbar. In Balancer mode the tachometer is calibrated for 4-stroke motors with one cylinder/intake. For 2-strokes or motors with 2 cylinders/intake you must divide the tachometer reading in half.
    Gauge mode is a heavily damped vacuum gauge, intended to measure vacuum on intakes that support one or two cylinders. Only one Harmonizer port is used. The other is left unconnected. A left-zero meter representation is displayed along with a numeric representation in the range of 0.00-29.00 inHg.
    Gauge mode can be used to adjust idle speed with the tach function and mixture (carburetor) with the tach and/or gauge function. Gauge mode can also a be a powerful diagnostic tool.
    In Gauge mode, if you use the yellow port, the tach is calibrated for 4-stroke motors, 1 cylinder/intake.
    In Gauge mode if you use the red port, the tach is calibrated for 4-stroke motors, 2 cylinders/intake.
    As in Balancer mode, for 2-strokes in Gauge mode you must divide the tach readings in half.

Features
    Reliable, all electronic design, with digital signal processing and no moving parts.
    Large, easy to read, LCD display.
    Rugged housing with a clear polycarbonate top.
    Vacuum hoses are removable. They attach to the unit with twist-on (finger tight) Luer type connectors.
    Swivel-hook on top for hanging/attachment.
    Simple one-button interface. Press/release button and wait for Auto-Zero calibration. The unit is now ready in balancer mode.
    To access other modes and menu options, hold button pressed until desired function appears. Then release button.
    The button is recessed to prevent inadvertent activation and breakage.
    Auto Zero on power-up.
    Auto Range.
    Auto shutoff after 5 minutes of inactivity (except beacon and timed lantern modes).
    Battery Voltage Indicator.
    Automatic display backlight.
    Bright White LED included for convenience.
    Toggle LED on/off through menu or by a double press of the button for a quick flashlight function.
    Rally/Tour/Camping LED modes.
    Timed Lantern Mode illuminates the LED for 15 minutes then power-off. During timed lantern mode a single button press resets the timer to 15 minutes.
    Beacon Mode flashes the LED in a randomly selected, 5-flash, repeating sequence. Potentially useful as an emergency flasher or locating beacon. (No, I'm not kidding).
    Beacon mode does not time-out. It will persist until the mode is changed or the battery is depleted.

Specifications -
    Storage temperature -20C to 70C
    Operating temperature -10C to 50C

Vacuum Hose size/length 4mm (5/32) ID x 122cm (48 inches) SAE J1037 -40C to 125C (-40F to 257F)
    Battery type 9V Alkaline battery (included) recommended

Typical current consumption and battery life (based on fresh Alkaline battery 500mA/hr 23C)

basic functions backlight off 11mA 45hrs
    basic functions backlight on 16mA 31hrs
    beacon mode (backlight on) 25mA 20hrs
    LED on (backlight on) 34mA 15 hrs

Displayed Range (Resolution)
    Balancer Vacuum +/-999mbar (1mbar)
    Gauge Vacuum 0.00inHg - 29.00inHg (0.01inHg)
    Tach 0-9990 RPM (<1500RPM 10 RPM steps, >1500RPM 50RPM steps))

Accuracy tachometer and internal timing +/- 0.5% @ 23C (+/- 2% over full operating temperature)

RoHS compliant
    CE compliant

Notes on use:
    Follow all safety procedures. Ensure your motor is adequately cooled during tuning and/or diagnosis. Do not leave a running motor unattended.
    The Harmonizer is NOT waterproof. It should not be submerged or used in the rain.
    Use on turbocharged motors in boost is not recommended.

The supplied vacuum hose is rated from -40F to +257F. It will melt if it contacts exhaust headers, exhaust manifolds, or catalytic converters.
    There are restrictor tubes installed inside the hoses approximately 4 inches from the motor end. They work in conjunction with the hose volume to "snub" peak pressure impulses. They protect the Harmonizer sensor from backfire, racing motors with large valve overlap, motors with damaged intake valves, and motors that have large vacuum orifices (> 1.5mm). These restrictors should remain in place and the hoses should not be shortened.

The gauge function can be used on motors with 3 or more cylinders/intake (like a car) but the tach function may not work reliably and may not work at all (due to diminished vacuum pulse amplitude attenuated in the plenum) and the gauge is much more heavily damped than it needs to be for such motors.
    Gauge readings are affected by altitude and weather (barometric pressure). By definition, gauge readings are with reference to atmospheric pressure.
    The Harmonizer is extremely sensitive. Large temperature changes during use can affect the "zero" point (offset). If the "needle" doesn't return close to zero after switching the motor off, re-zero the unit and repeat the measurement. Avoiding direct sun and a changing temperature environment minimizes the need to re-zero.
    The clear polycarbonate cover is very durable. But it can scratch, and it can be discolored or melted by a few aggressive solvents or extreme heat.
    The battery voltage indicator icon displays only battery voltage. It is not always a precise indicator of how much energy the battery has left. Sometimes battery voltage can recover a bit after a period of rest. Especially if the LED has been in use.

Click here for user guide download courtesy Google Drive
    TheRoss, Chuck Roll, Uke and 3 others like this.
  2. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the duration of the inmate pre-order discount?
  3. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early Adopter discount will be extended through the months of July and August 2011.
  4. ErricZ

ErricZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good, thank you very much! I can't wait to buy one .... probably in the next couple of weeks after a nice check comes in!

:clap
  5. Alexol

Alexol Chronic Farkoholic

Oddometer:
    South La., where I-10 has a curve. One curve.
    Please tell me about this part:

"The gauge function can be used on motors with 3 or more cylinders/intake (like a car) but the tach..."

I'm especially interested in the 3 cyclinder part and will buy immediately if I can use this (easily) on my Laverda. using the Twinmax to balance A against B, then B to C and A to A and around the houses again is a PITA!

Thanks,

Alex
  6. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    The 2 primary modes of reading the vacuum in the intakes are balancer and gauge modes.
    In balancer mode the display shows the difference between the 2 chosen cylinders
    In gauge mode only one cylinder is measured and the display shows the magnitude of the vacuum.

For your 3 cylinder engine the Harmonizer will be used much like the TwinMax ie. A to<b, b=""><c, and="" c=""><a.> B, B to C, and C to A

If you want to be able to display all 3 cylinders at the same time you're gunna hafta wait for his next product, the 4 cylinder unit.

BUT this 2 channel unit will be MUCH better than the TM due to it's advanced design and inherent stability over the TM. This means it will be easier to use and will balance your triple quicker than the old TM.

The battery life issue alone will eliminate a huge variance, let alone the all digital circuitry used in the Harmonizer vs. the analog circuit in the TM.

JJ</a.></c,></b,>
  8. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex,

I'm assuming you have a 3-cylinder Laverda?

The Harmonizer has only 2 ports, like the Twinmax. So for throttle synchronization in Balancer Mode you would leave one port connected to a reference cylinder (usually number 1) and synchronize numbers 2 and 3 to number 1 independently. This can be done by physically unplugging hoses and moving them or by using a valved aquarium manifold.

(something like this)
    [​IMG]

The Harmonizer is easier to use than the Twinmax, gives you calibrated numbers instead of variable arbitrary units, and has a tach display built-in.

But since it has only 2 ports, it may not solve your complaint.

I have a 4-port version in development right now, but it won't be production-ready for 4-6 months. It will allow direct synchronization of 2,3 or 4 cylinder motors without moving any connections or using any valves. It will be more expensive than the Harmonizer.

The line you quoted:
    "The gauge function can be used on motors with 3 or more cylinders/intake (like a car) but the tach..."

refers to the Gauge Mode that reads a single vacuum port and displays the result in inches of mercury (inHg). This mode is different than Balance Mode and uses only one port (the other is left unconnected). It isn't too useful for synchronizing multiple cylinders. It's intended more for diagnostics and tuning single carbs or single throttle bodies.

Hope this helps!
  9. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha JJ, you beat me to it :rofl
  10. Alexol

Oddometer:
    Given that I already have a Twinmax, I'll wait for the next version, and thanks for the explanation.

I very definitely want to buy the next version for 3 & 4 cyl bikes - what's the best way of staying up to date on your developments?

Alex

11. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome.

I'm honestly not sure the best way to keep up-to-date. I'll start a 4-cylinder synchronizer thread at some point.

Since you are already subscribed to this thread, I'll post up about it here when there is something happening.

I may start a Facebook page for products and updates as well, but I'm still a social networking noob. :D

Thanks for the interest!
  12. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your pre-orders!
    They were all shipped today.
  13. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Ok so unless this is secret info or sumpt'n what is the count of sold units thus far?:ear

JJ
  14. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    As of today the July 18th, around 45 units.
    I'm guessing the orders will pick up when folks have a chance to use it and show it to friends!
    We'll see!
  15. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears Supporter

Oddometer:
    Purchased...

I will report back after using it (may be a bit).
  16. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir.
    I'm sure you will like it!
  17. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought one on Sunday. Has it shipped?
  18. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir, shipped on Monday!

Thank you!
  19. Alexol

Oddometer:
    Wonderful...

Now we've got that cleared up, can we quit playing with the two-cyclinder model and move along to something important like the 3-cyl version please? Oh, OK, 4-cyl if you must. :evil :*sip*

Alex

"Oh Lord, please bless me with patience and make it RIGHT F##KING NOW!!"
  20. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex,
    I am targeting the Christmas season for the 4-cylinder version. A fair bit of work done on the Harmonizer is applicable so I think it's realistic.

It's been started but has a long way to go.
    As far a price is concerned, It will be under $200. How much under $200 has yet to be determined. I'm pretty good at designing things in a cost-effective way, so I'll do my best!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.