Hacking our way North by Northwest…

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Wolvo

Johnny Wolvo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If no part by tomorrow we'll move to a campground and Tenting it till Monday. If no part by Monday, we're seriously thinking of parting the Tub from the hip of the Tug. Shipping the Tub at great expense to the US and ride home solo!!!!!!

Please don't give up now, you are doing great, and your adventure story and photographs are just brilliant.
    I'm a very old 73 year old sidecar guy that lives in the city (Nr Birmingham) here in the West Midlands UK and would never be able to make such a journey.
    Your story is a real tonic for me every day.
    Keep going.

Best regards.........John Wolverson UK
  2. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    I know it's frustrating and a giant pain in the butt but hang on....
    Seems like parting the tub and shipping would be just as or even more than a few more days lodging and food where you are. Then you're just spinning your wheels for nothing.
    Keep on with the tracking and waiting that part will have to show up sooner or later....but wait for it.....then forget about all the hassle and enjoy the rest of the trip....
    You've never said what the part is, can you let us know?....is there any other opportunity to obtain something similar nearby or perhaps a local machine shop?....It's hard for us to figure what's going on cuz we aren't right there and don't know all the details.....
    Just asuming that it's something with the tub axle, hub or bearings but it would seem like, especially up there, that there would be a local machinist who could duplicate the part....just a guess....
    In any event, hold on and wait, had you decided to pull the tub off no doubt about the time it was on the ground, the ups truck would show up!!!
    We're all pulling for you, as anxious as you are, we are as well....
    koifarm....
    Keep venting by email, at least we can listen with sympathetic ears...and don't quit eating.....haven't seen a good meal up there for days!!!!

:freaky
  3. grafikfeat

grafikfeat -Out There-

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed you folks in WA... Would have loved to ride to the border with you...

<object height="405" width="500">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWuCvTvybX8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="405" width="500"></object>

Sorry to hear about UPS. IMHO they suck... Unfortunately they are also good. When they screw up it's usually for things needed, not wanted as in your case.

Chin up... You could be like most of us here... AT WORK! Arrrgh!

Keep the posts/adventure coming... It's a great read!
  4. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

....Absolutely Spot-On, Frank $$$......(although I have had US delay issues in the dim-and-distant past) :cry

Mind You, we both know "the North is dfferent" I'm a FedEx man now (easy to say AFTER the event!) :shog
    (also, beware: Purolator US, and Purolator CDN are not the same company, and similar issues arise)

Note to "Deaf On Wheels" :
    .......If at all possible, please persevere with the Outfit.
    It's easy for the rest of us...watching in comfort, but would seem, by the report so far, that you are
    having the experience of a lifetime. (you must know Whitehorse VERY well, by now!) Going solo would
    definitely diminish the experience, IMHO,...Not to mention the expense.:sweeti :ricky

(what if the tub were to go UPS to North Carolina! ??)

.........Shudder!
  5. Mangoes

Mangoes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi S&E, So sorry to read that your parts have disappeared. :cry We know how frustrated you must be. Hopefully, UPS will track them down soon. We're sending you hugs and encouragement....hang in there. They'll show up. At least you're stuck there together! Just think of what a great story this will be. (Oh no, you're not going to tell us about being stuck in Canada, again, are you???? :nod he he) Here's hoping you're back on the road (intact) in no time. Talk to you soon, The Mangoes.:wave
  6. dvonasek

dvonasek Old Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your continued frustration. Anything we in the lower 48 can do to help? Fed EX new parts? Have you tried the BMWMOA anonymous book to see if anyone close can assist. . machining, welding etc? I just looked & there is a listing for Whitehorse. Call the fellow rider @ 867 668-3340 for help. Good luck with it. Please don't give up! Those of us stuck in the office are very much enjoying your posts. Look at your responses; you have a world-wide audience. Take a deep breath and have another beer!
  7. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:eek1 Wow! Andy bought that bike from me!

When I was in Whitehorse w/ that bike, it developed a leaky O-ring that seals the fuel pump access panel. There was a parts supply place around the corner from the Honda dealer that had all kinds of small parts. They had a wall of O-rings. Let's see...I have a picture of the place somewhere...

[​IMG]

Maybe they have bearings that will work. :dunno

edit:I'll bet you probably went to Ajax w/ the trailer guy. I sorry you're stuck.
  8. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hello all...many thanks for your continued encouragements....

Yet again another delay on part of UPS...got word it will be here MONDAY..Montag....Lundi..???? :ddog :ddog

We're thinking of becoming Tourist guides as we know so much about Whitehorse and it's environs..:deal

Log Cabin overseeing the mighty Yukon River

[​IMG]

An old barricaded hanging bridge spanning the Yukon River
    [​IMG]

Local Deco art;..."the Raven House"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An enchanted evening meal...
    [​IMG]

Yummy...
    [​IMG]

Fish heads, tail n'all...great source of Omega-3

[​IMG]

soon running out of pictures to take within walking distance...:bore
  9. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear some good news, at least we think so....:rofl
    First, lets discuss the food....sushi is one of my all time favorites to start with and those little tiny fish looked kind of like the old Wisconsin treat, smelt, and looked really good....I can make an entire pig of myself out of sushi, or more preferably sashimi (without the rice) Some of my favorites are Tuna, Eel, white mackerel, salmon, both smoked and raw, abalone, white tuna, roe, and a few others....thanks so much for the pictoral....
    I've been worried about yawl, infrequent posts, but no sweat, I know you're okay, just pissed about the parts.
    The scenery is gorgeous, I'd love to hang in that cabin on the Yukon for a time, with a nice fly rod, a shotgun and some basic supplies I could last forever....(think, Into the Wild (sensible version))
    It's gotta be wonderful being in that country where so much prospecting and new settlement is going on...If you can, Sharon, read a book by John McPhee called "Coming Into the Country" it's about a few of the rugged individuals who came to AK and developed it in their way....you will enjoy that one....
    Well kids,:huh as usual, keep us posted,
    Sendin all the positive vibes your way....
    koi
  10. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
    .......and, of course, everything else by Jon Krakauer :thumb

(oops...there's Jack again! Hi,...[fine pending] :cry
  11. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    But ditto......
  12. Wngnut

Wngnut Machinist Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I hope you guys don't decide to split up your rig. I am really enjoying your journey here on the web. It makes me work harder on mine to get it on the road.
  13. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
    Now you've done it, LiteWait !

The question we were all refusing to contemplate.........

(lite)wait 'til Monday... Fingers crossed!
  14. BMWWillie

BMWWillie n00b

Oddometer:
    :clap This is Willie. I am now registered. I am so sorry to hear about the bearing/axel. If there is anything that I can do to help you please let me know. Hopefully, you will be on the road again very soon. I know Elmer wants that skinny dip in the tipid waters. Willie
  15. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant wait to get on the road with my rig.... It is amazing that you actually caught a picture of it...

[​IMG]

I believe it is the Enduro sidecar below the yellow banner hanging on the wall of Jay's shop.
    I'm hoping it will ship sometime in the next couple of weeks. Jay is still finishing up the leading link forks, swing arm and wheels. The rig will have 17" wheels on all three sides, the same as the rear wheel on the KLR tug.

My wife wanted to go glamping in Idaho this summer, so in late July, we will be flying into Spokanne, renting a car and driving through Rathdrum ..
    [​IMG]
    on the way to Clark Fork, ID. Glamping is glamous camping.. at a tent and breatkfast. Wood floor tent, but no running water, electricity or internet. Breakfast provided... all home grown ingredients.

Good luck on your repairs. You so close to your objective, hang in there and see it to the end.
  16. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Everything You............but Were Afraid To Ask

<HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by LiteWait
    What would you do about the front end mod if you pulled the tub off? Is it ridable, or advisable, on a two wheel bike; especially loaded up?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Now you've done it, LiteWait !

The question we were all refusing to contemplate.........

(lite)wait 'til Monday... Fingers crossed!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    Shaun

If Thy Ever Does Owt For Nowt,
    Do It For Thysen'

[​IMG]

Hi Litewait & Shaun...

We are at the mercy of an inept UPS and are for now still imprisoned in the city of Whitehorse, YT, CA. waiting for a part that might take forever or never to come.

So to contemplate: It is indeed very dangerous going solo sans sidecar with a trail-reducer...:eek1
  17. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Poulsbo, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Hola Elmer -

Or, having just returned from vacation in Japan, should I say "Ohayo Gozaimasu"?

Thanks for keeping those posts coming. Have been following your travails with UPS (Uncertain Postal Screw-Up apparently). Guess all we can do is sacrifice a goat and burn some incense for you.

When I saw you contemplating a Sidecarectomy, was thinking you had imbibed one too many cups of joe at Tim Horton's, what with your steering modification and all. Good thing Litewait took the point on that "oversight".

Well, to paraphrase Ted Simon, "The interruptions are the adventure". Or, I also once heard, "An adventure is a vacation gone horribly wrong". You've having the best of adventures apparently :huh.

Since the trip reports are on hiatus until your parts arrive, guess I can hijack this thread without bringing the wrath of your most excellent wife upon me, here's some food for thought, our last dinner in Japan, a culinary side trip for you and Koifarm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bon Appetit and Good Luck!
  18. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    Jesus H Christ! Mike, you really know how to tantalize a body now, dont'cha?
    Would that be, could that be it should be, KOBE BEEF? OMG....:eek1:bow:killen
    Way cool, I miss Japan something awful, would love to go back, where were yawl?
    Love that culture, food, and the whole shindig over there. wonderful place for sure, thanks for the gourmet post......I'm drooling something awful!!!!
    koi

Arigato de gozaimasu......
  19. Get Back

Get Back Molesworth 2

Oddometer:
    ........................Aww![​IMG]

I was gonna ruin Koifarm's diet with BBQ Teryaki steak :cry

[​IMG]

Mike...your wonderful food has hijacked my hijack...

[​IMG]

.....Oh, well - I'll just have to eat it myself.
  20. mikepa

mikepa SideCzarist

Oddometer:
    Poulsbo, WA in the Great Pacific NorthWET (USA)
    Good eyes on the beef Koifarm, but it's Tochigi-ken Wagyu, "a cut above" Kobe. But, don't wanna' hijack this thread any further than I have (and still am by this reply I guess). Have PM'd you, but if anyone is interested, since this IS a trip report thread after all, I guided a motorcycle tour in the Land of the Rising Yen last year, here's the link to the archived Live!Journal:

GlobeRiders Japan Hanami Tour 2008

Best,