Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like some other great deals at the yard sale.
    its a wrr, how many miles and what farkles?
    no 2007 just 2008 up
  2. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Yeah, its setup nice, but he does seem high too from what I've seen out there. That is the Safari tank which is a great tank, but I think I still want the IMS 4.7 for that extra gallon.
  3. Sproat Sport

Sproat Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen to me on my KLR. A stick punctured the sight glass. As soon as I noticed it I shut the motor off and I huffed/pushed that thing out of the bush (nightmare!)...as I was afraid I'd run out of oil as it was spraying out of that hole at quite a rate. Took it to the shop and had them clean out the shards of glass. Mechanic said it could have been bad news had I run the motor enough to churn those glass pieces through the motor. Might be something for you to consider.
  4. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're right about the 07 VIN but actually sold in 08. The dealer had to order a WRR for me when I put my down
    payment on it in March 08. They were just barely out in the showrooms back then.
  5. Serevince

Serevince Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gearing suggestions for putting around? At low speed e.g. Chilling along a unfamiliar trail (or doing the cone weave).

I feel like I'm either searching for the 1.5 gear or really working the clutch. I'm a newb though, just me or anyone else?

Thanks

Vince
  6. xy500

xy500 Loser

Oddometer:
    Mine is a December 2007 on the papers.
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously an 07 build, 08 model year.

Wife's car is the same, VIN date 07, title says 08.
  8. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    oxygenrace,

Are you intending to leave the Montana mounted all the time? If yes and you are not going to get a security lock you can wire it to the 3rd line from the left in the fuse box, it is a backup fuse(#59 on diagram in tech man.); red with green mark wire. Or a straight to the battery with a fused power lead and a SPST switch on the ground lead. I have a Tourtech lockable mount so it can stay in during the day; then removed at night for extra security; power stays on so I don't have to wait for satellite re-acquirement every gas or food stop.
  9. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look what I found.
    [​IMG]

There is nothing holding the window in. It has rubber on the outside kinda like a oil seal has but was real easy to push in. I pushed it out and put some silicon gasket maker on it to help hold it in.

New oil, oil filter, antifreeze and rear brake pads and good to go.

[​IMG]
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to go as soon as you add this:

[​IMG]
  11. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    I've noticed the same thing. I've only just got it so am still working the thing out, but the second gear is way to high from the first. So it's either rev it's guts out going slowly up a hill or labour the thing up in second till the speed comes in at the middle rev range.

If you go higher in the front sprocket you wear the chain guide I think. Not sure what I'll do yet. Has anyone found a suitable compromise? I'm not worried about top end speed. It hits 100kph in fifth and the speed limit here is 110kph, so no worries there.
  12. oxygenrace

oxygenrace Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I would like to have it mounted all the time. I plan to mount the rugged powered cradle to a britannia lynx fairing dashboard in the future. This way it would be secure when parked with the torx locking screw. I hadn't thought about losing gps signal when turning the power off, I suppose it could run off battery when the power is cut. So did you wire it right to the battery then? The cradle came with an inline fuse.
  13. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    It sure doesn't look like anything broke the glass in, seems like it just slipped down. Not sure how the ears on a skidplate would prevent that?
  14. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't ride off road without a skid plate regardless of the sight-glass issue. But with the sight-glass issue + the brake pedal getting fouled, I think it would be prudent to a install skid plate and a maybe a brake snake too.
  15. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Agreed...I was talking about it today. cause or not--no skidplate, no off highway. You want to be stacking those odds, not playing them IMO.

:D
  16. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:

Brake pedal was not fouled the disk and pads were cover in oil so the brakes would not work. Doesn't look like the bike in the picture was ever rode off road.
  17. easy_dualsport

easy_dualsport Easy E

Oddometer:
    I have a 650T, and researched this myself. I used the Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution and tapped into the bulb side of the license plate circuit to get the switched power. There are a few posts I made on the WR250 forum as well, search on "AMPS Rugged Mount" or "tapping into switched power". Here is the picture of the circuit, courtesy ADVCoop/Coop here and on the other forum:

[​IMG]

Find the yellow connector, verify that when the bike is "ON" position the lamp lights. Disconnect, verify it is not on. You have the right wires, they are under the black tube wire protector. Tap into on the bulb side of the connector on the blue wire.

Love having the 650 on my WR. With the stock tank and limited range, it really opens us the world to you. You know were you are when you need fuel and don't worry so much about getting disoriented.

Good luck.

18. Heoz

Heoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had two people tell me they had 2007 models. They were on other toys at the time so I never got to look at the bikes. Model year is digit 10 of the VIN #. 7=2007, 8=2008. It's a bit hard to see in the pictures but that bash plate looks like it covers the coolant hose. Custom made bash plate?
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Well neither has yours, ya pussy. :lol3
  20. xy500

xy500 Loser

Oddometer:
    No, like i said - papers say model 2007. Built 2007, registered december 2007.
    A motorbike cannot be registered without even being in the country...