Prudhoe tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AKmud, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    So, Marbee and I figured we would make a quick run up to Deadhorse this weekend and are leaving for Fairbanks tomorrow (Thursday) after work. Has anyone been up there in the last few days that can give a road report?
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a safe run up! I really wanted to go but I'm still on family leave since the baby arrived. Maybe next year!
    marbee40 likes this.
  3. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Road should be in excellent shape given the weather we've been having. Did the run a couple of weeks ago. There were two construction spots, neither very interesting, but hey, the pilot car drivers need work too. In two places pretty far up the water trucks and graders were active and I'm pretty sure they paid off some siksiks with cameras to see me take a dive. Didn't happen.

Looks like there's gas at the Yukon now. Have a good trip and don't break any limbs. I still need that kickstand shortened!
  4. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good

Oddometer:
    Rain, Rain, go away! Supposed to be 40-60% chance in Coldfoot. Still gonna give it our best shot. That sloppy crap takes some of the fun outta two wheel traveling.
  5. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Friday for Deadhorse, unfortunately I'm riding solo on a 650 Dakar with fly rode on board. Good to know there will be some folks heading up around the same time. I'll probably be a day or 2 behind you due to a tire change needed once I get to Fairbanks. Sounds like gas situation may not be so bad but any new updates/info/semi-useful advice/fishing beta would be helpful since this is my first time up...maybe I'll just bring 1gl extra instead of 2gl.
  6. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    AKMud and Marbee, You're welcome to use our place if you need a base in
    Fairbanks either for a rest or our shop. No tent required. We're west of town
    about 15 minutes at 0.7mile Murphy Dome Rd. PM and I'll send address. David
    marbee40 likes this.
  7. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    FYI - be careful up there! Sounds like it's been pretty wet.

Community Assistance and Monitored Events
    Significant Weather
    Flood Warning (July 17, 2013)
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]
    Southeastern and the Northeastern Brooks Range – is in effect until 8:15 pm tonight for rivers and small streams in the Eastern Brooks Range from the Dalton Highway east, due to thunderstorms and heavy showers. The Atigun river gage near Galbraith Lake reported one half inch of rain between midnight and 1am this morning. Small streams in the Eastern Brooks Range will rise rapidly and some streams will have flash flooding. Flooding is possible along the Dalton Highway from Atigun Pass to Sagwon now through this evening. Motorists on the Dalton Highway should watch for possible road washouts near culverts and bridges. For weather updates go to: http://www.arh.noaa.gov/hazards.php.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  8. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Just coming in to post the above, they're calling for rain and lots of it this weekend. Hopefully it happens so some of the fires die down, but misses the highway so you have a good ride.
  9. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from Prudhoe Bay yesterday afternoon (July 17th). The way up was great. It had rained the night we spent up there and it was raining nearly 3/4 the ride back. Lots of muddy areas, 10-20mph winds and low visibility at times.. with that said, it was the most exciting 240 miles of riding I have ever done and would do it again :lol3

IMO, Definitely don't need knobby/offroad tires when the road is good, but I'm glad I had them coming back in the rain/mud.
  10. marbee40

Oddometer:
    We're relaxing in Fox for a few. Friar, sorry call dropped. I'll give u a ring when we get back to Valley
  11. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Snoozing in Coldfoot. We're taking our time on this run. Very slimy north of the Yukon river but otherwise its been a great run. The forecast calls for pain (rain).
    J
  12. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  13. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Coldfoot - Deadhorse - Coldfoot was the route today. Rained all the way to pump 2! Road is decent, but watch out for anywhere they are doing road work, it is really soft and ruts will eat you alive. We had a couple close calls but managed to keep the rubber down. Coldfoot to Wasilla tomorrow is the plan.
  14. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes, That's a looooong haul! Make sure you hit Millers for some of the good
    stuff.
  15. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The twins should be arriving home today
    marbee40 likes this.
  16. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    1655 miles and we kept the rubber down! Quite possibly the worst conditions for a bike that I have been on but it was fun and we made it back!

Pics to come...
    marbee40 likes this.
  17. marbee40

Oddometer:
    Great ride! Took it easy for most of it. If we'd have gone any faster there woulda been another thread about a rider down.:eek1 Talk about serious mush! Good fun, helluva challenge, and amazing weather to return home. Kept stripping off more layers with each stop. At the final construction zone, the flagger had to ask AKMud to put something on under his chaps or stop standing up like some damn adventure rider! :puke1