First Tire Change, Tube Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ParaMud, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done done of tubeless tire changes. This is my first tube one.

The front tire went fine. I open up the rear tire and find this tube.

[​IMG]

Is has the tube on the inside and a flap of rubber around it. Should it be seperated like that? It is seperated around the whole tube.
  2. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the flap actually attached to the tube? From the pic, the top of the tube looks pretty normal. What you might have is a 'puncture liner' in addition to the normal tube. Was this a used motorcycle?
  3. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the motorcycle is used, and it didnt have the stock tires. The flap is connected to the tube. Tube was holding air fine.
  4. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone that has used them will chime in, but you might have a Heavy Duty tube that has come separated from the extra layer. I can't guess if you can use it as-is, replace the tube, or re-glue it back together.:scratch
  5. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone took an old tube, cut it up, and made a liner out of it. The theory is that it'll give a standard-duty tube some extra protection. It won't hurt anything to reuse it, or you can toss it. Your choice.
  6. Dratharr

Dratharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a teen I worked in a bicycle shop, we used to do that to all the bikes we sold. Cut the tube down the middle and remove the valve stem, and then wrap it around the new tube. We always filled the new tube with Slime, and we seldom ever had problems with flats. Of course the whole process added a lot of weight but it was a whole lot better on wheels than the old solid tubes were, and the bikes still rode well.
  7. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Messaged the previous owner and he said the dealer didnt have heavy duty tubes so, I guess they made their own.