Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2/08 vin with 12,000+ miles on the stock fuel pump.

And it's been sitting in a Safari tank for the past year, one of the first
    Safaris delivered.

My guess is it's a combination of things. How often have you ran the pump
    completely dry? Heat and the fuel blend you're running.

I just read a ride report where a KTM owner up in Canada went through
    six fuel pumps in a couple of weeks of riding so if the WRR can get by with
    one swap I'm stoked.
  2. edteamslr

edteamslr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is 1/08 0041. Only 2,000miles so far and slightly worried. It doesn't get very hot here but I'm taking it to Russia next year so it looks like I'll have to find space to add a fuel pump to my luggage!
  3. Teep

Teep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1/08 with 7000 miles and so far so good. It's been hot here for the last month. I fuel up as soon as the light comes on.

Garry
  4. SuperSize

SuperSize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Typo sorry. Its a 08. Stock tank also.
  5. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    Is the US the only locale that is heavy into ethanol? Any history of international failures that may correlate ethanol causes?

Any reports yet of a new pump failure?

Sounds like any major adventures would warrant pump replacement AND a spare.

6. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    Ok so I posted on here about my WR with a build date of 2/08. The bike died a couple of times after I loaded it up for a weekend ride, while running around the block. It was 100+deg.

I left for the trip anyway, and I figured that if it is heat related that it will break while on this trip and get it over with. It was 100+ for most of the trip this weekend. I did a little over 600 miles on the WR with no fuel issue what so ever.:D The major issue my poor backside.

From what I have read the bike will not die all at once, but will rather only start after cooling (sometimes).

I read about 200 pages of this thread before I noticed the bike die. Then I *thought* I heard the priming sound change. I think that reading all of the posts made me overly suspicious of the fueling issue.

Few people post about how reliable the pumps are, and I wonder how many pumps have failed compared to the number sold that were built in early 08?

I guess less than 10%.

I do ride alone mostly, and ride in relatively remote areas, but I do take enough food/water in case I have to hoof it out. I plan on running mine till she blows and hope for the best. Time will tell.
  7. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    My current WRR is right in the meat of the bad pump range (02/08, 1500's VIN) and closing fast on 8000 miles with no issues, even with all the heat this summer. This is why I bought the extended warranty on mine, if it ends up being a problem I'll be happier with replacing the pump instead of having to worry about a doohickey breaking loose or a cam chain tensioner detonating or etc etc etc...

Of course I probably just jinxed myself with the 4 days off I have coming up. :rofl
  8. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes-----It was all operator error!! I got a rock lodged in the counter sprocket and it was so slimy that I did not realize that I was not spinning the tire!!........Chalk it up to experience!!

BIG THANKS to EB for saving the day....and the trip!!

Thanks much for everyone that offered help!!

It was a FANTASTICK ride!!:clap :clap

Thanks again everyone

Scott
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Will do the same for peace of mind when off the beaten path. What is a rough estimate for time to swap out a pump in the field?
  10. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    20 minutes alone, 1 hours with advice from bystanders. :rofl

11. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Very easy swap, hardest part is to keep the gas on the tank.. just fuel clip, electrical clip and i believe six allens, put the pump in the same orientation as you took it out..

Man, wish we had a master list of everyone who's had problems then appoint a spokes person for us WR owners and speak to Yamaha with our list !!!!

Given that the owner of the Yamaha dealer in Idaho swapped pumps with us from a new bike he had on the floor leads me to believe Yamaha gave him good news about sending him out another one for the new bike ?! :dunno
  12. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I think my WRR is officially "done" and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm still in the middle of the engine break in following the Thumper Racing big bore, but I can say this so far--the increase in bottom end torque is substantial. I really like the Jet Hot coated exhaust bits as well. I've run with this headlight for over a week and have passed a couple popo and none have pulled me over yet. I think I'd have issues at night, but I don't typically ride at night unless I'm chasing Scottmac's campsite.:lol3 I'm still trying to get Paul at HDB to build me a custom instrument cluster protector, but for now my home fabbed mount is working fine.

I think all I'll do to the bike at this point is ride it and maintain it. Maybe throw some yellow plastics on it if Wheeling Cycle supply ever gets any.:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Welcome back!

Can't wait to read the reports from you and BD :ear
  14. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doh! That blows. Are you still running the stock case saver/cover or the VWsandman one? How big was the rock? 12T, 13T, 14T?
  15. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your bike is lookin' good Brian!:clap :D
  16. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the blue plastic thing?

[​IMG]
  17. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a church key to me.
  18. Its a beer bottle opener.
  19. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha key ring/bottle opener. Don't be jealous. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  20. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Machtig, Do you have any details on your ignition switch mounting?

How did you deal with the tamper proof bolts on the stock bracket?

Looking good by the way. Did you go with the provided EFI controller or are you running an aftermarket? You probably listed it already but reading is hard :lol3

Sure looking good. I was supposed to be riding right now but I am at wurk. I will be out soon though and I did ride to work but that just ain't the same.