The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to the belgium BMW motorraddays last weekend and there were loads of new GSes. But this was the first time I noticed this: 60% of them were white, 20% red and 20% grey.
    Specially since one group existed out of 6 white GS LC's.
    In my group there was a white one, a green one and a red one. Al of them were client bikes or company bike of BMW employees.
  2. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And saturday I'll leave on mine heading to Austria, I'll have 5 days to make it to Garmisch partenkirchen for the BMW motorrad days. :D
  3. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are two pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The DRL is not as bright when the low beam is on.
  4. herrdirektor

herrdirektor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Say want you want, but we all know by now that grey is the fastest color ! :D
  5. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems as your camera has changed its ISO settings.

When the engine isn't running the DRL is also in it's low setting. The reason it is lighter at night is not to blind others and if it stays the same light level the EU doesn't consider it to be a DRL and it wouldn't be approved since DRL has to be turned of (or dimmed) to get an EC approval (I am not familiar with the US system).
  6. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You needn't worry. Mine is grey (or it is beneath the dirt at least).
  7. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    I've got AdvDesign highway pegs on my SW-Motech bars. Pics here
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21651186#post21651186

8. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Well I figured out last night that I just don't know how to work the damn thing. I did something to finally make it change and it was nice and soft
    going home. I'm begining to think my may have an issue or I just need more training - lol.

9. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is an article in the current OTL magazine regarding the LED headlight. It's mostly a "they're great, buy it" thing, not very technical. However, there is this bit:

Incorporated into the R 1200 GS headlight are four LEDs (two each for low and high beam) and a further four LEDs for DRL and sidelight. At the same time BMW built in a sensor and manual override switch to go from DRL to low beam in poor lighting conditions such as rain or the darkness of a tunnel.​
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is the way the bike works outside the U.S., but according to the manual and a friend of mine, low beam LED is always on when the engine is running on U.S. bikes. So is your LED headlight not on in daylight conditions with the engine running? It seems that iride4u's low beam is not always on.
  11. pauljm

pauljm R1200GS LC Rallye

Oddometer:
  12. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a EU version of the operators manual as well as the US version that came with the GS LC. There are a lot of differences. The pictures were just for reference. I saw a difference with my eyes. This is a US bike.
  13. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After owning Subaru's before going over to BMW's I got in the habit of checking the headlights reflection in the tail gates of trucks and SUVs.
    (Subaru's headlights burn out very quickly)
    The low beam is not on unless it needs to be, just the DRL.
    I also have the Clearwater Darlas burning all the time.
  14. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Can anyone else with a US GS with LED headlights help solve my confusion here?
  15. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to have a good rip on a 2013 GS yesterday. Had a brief ride on one a couple of months back, but i got to use it in anger yesterday.
    Coming from a Multi (and many other bikes..) i have to say the bike was a revelation. Fit and finish looks good, brakes and 'box were tip top. Most impressive features were the engine (character and noise - sweet!) and the wind management. Tried all kinds of stuff on the Multi, but that set up on the GS is good for visor up riding until you get into prison time speed. A1.
    I still have an odd hankering for a LC RT, so yesterdays test was a "get to know you" regarding the motor and driveline, but it was a good ride out on a bloody good bike.
    Nice one Herman...

Oh - has anyone gone with the standard suspension model? ESA didn't seem to do a great deal..
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Not that it solves much as I don't know 100% that it was a US spec bike but I bet it was: we saw two GSs on our day trip last weekend and one was a new one with LED head light. Only the U shaped DRL was on.
  17. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it all depends on what DRL/headlight you have. The low end old type park/DRL will need the low beam on when the engine starts. There are plenty of pictures of the new bright DRL with no low beam switched on. It isn't needed since the new DRL is plenty bright enough.
  18. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Veel rijgenot :D have fun on what should be a wonderful trip :1drink
  19. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    In the US, we do not have the LED DRL with the halogen lights...yes I know there are plenty of pictures of the horshoe DRL only on as it clearly works that way on non US bikes....but the US bikes are different according to the manual and a friend of mine, but not according to iride4u, so that is the confusion. Again, US bikes with LED headlight is what I am asking about.
  20. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks...interesting, that is what iride4u says too. So question now is, how do you set it so that headlight doesn't always come on, like my buddy's does...must be in a menu somewhere? Anyone know?