ADV Riders meeting in Spain

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tansinwalker, Aug 22, 2013.

1. The Spanish Biker

The Spanish Biker The Essential Companion to Biking in Spain

Oddometer:
    Don't take it personally Tim, doing things well in advance just isn't the Spanish way - more anglosajón :evil

More seriously, let's try to get some ideas bouncing around while most of us are grounded by the snow and ice :)

I still think the Puente de Mayo is the best date despite being a bit early in the season as Labour Day falls on a thursday, one of the few puentes we have next year - or this for that matter :(

Likewise, we need to take into account so many folks being from all corners of Spain so the more central the better. You can forget about the Communidad de Madrid though - over to you Santi for explanations - so I still think Teruel is a good compromise - who know we could even get sponsorship from Teruel Existe :clap

Cheers

Simon
  2. tansinwalker

tansinwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    Good idea Simon, let's move on!

Location. Seems logical to find the closest area for attendees. To arrange this, it'd be good to know who's planning to attend and where are they coming from. At this point my suggestion is the north east quarter of the peninsula. Teruel has some awesome spots. Forget about Comunidad de Madrid, offroad is forbidden. If you want more info about the infamous "Ley de Montes", let me know :cry

Dates: any weekend in May or June is perfect I think. 1st of May gives most of us 4 days and this can be good or not, if someone need to work on Friday, for example. Also it will surely throw logistical issues with any facilities, like restaurants, for example (more people on holidays). But it will work.

Any preferences? Let's summarize the data

Nick - Date - Location
    The Spanish Biker - 1-4 May - Teruel
    Tansinwalker - any weekend - North East quarter
  3. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nick - Date - Location
    The Spanish Biker - 1-4 May - Teruel
    Tansinwalker - any weekend - North East quarter
    Tim - mid or late May - don't mind
  4. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Can't commit as yet...but I'll kep an eye on the thread now that I've replied...

:D

5. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    If the meet is in Teruel I'll be setting off from the Pyrenees just west of Andorra, crossing the Los Monegros desert by some trails that are fine for loaded bikes and some fantastic back roads. So if anyone wants to hook up here then let me know at the time.

Regs

Simon
  6. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds good :thumb
  7. dwdufour

dwdufour Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in riding down with an American guy on an Africa Twin from the German/Dutch border?

If it is in early May, the farther south, the better.
  8. Sportakus

Sportakus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nick: Date - Location
    The Spanish Biker: 1-4 May - Teruel
    Tansinwalker: Any weekend - North East quarter
    Tim: Mid or late May - don't mind
    Sportakus: Long weekend - North East quarter
  9. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    That's a good point, especially in the Teruel area as the camping is at 1,200 metres and it gets cold at night even in summer. But anyone coming from northern europe would have all they need anyway. :D

Meanwhile, for those considering meeting up in the Pyrenees it's best to think about arriving ad¡few days early - a) a longer stay will make your trip more worthwhile, b) I've been caught having to cross the Ebro depression in the horrendous el ceirzo wind once or twice too often, so I'd like to have a few days' leeway in case it's blowing. If it is we can while away some time riding trails around the Pyrenees and catch the others later on.

Regs

Simon
  10. Teabar

Teabar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would really be interesetd in this. It's the sort of thing I've been looking for for a while now. I could do a full week at any time you guys recommend - you guys know the weather. I'd load the bike up in the van and catch the ferry down from Portsmouth.

And Simon, it would be great to take you up on your offer of setting off from your area to get some extra trails in.
    Steve
  11. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    That sounds great. Don't forget that if you can't make early May then I'm having two HISS rallies next year - a bit more organized than this.

Meanwhile a little taster for the Pyrenees on Youtube - note that this year the weather was record breaking awful!

Regs

Simon
  12. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I've been thinking about the biker's camp site at Anzañigo again. Especially bearing in mind that a) quite a few guys - and gals I hope! - are coming down from the frozen north and b) most of the Spanish riders are voting for the north-east quarter.

The big bonus from Anzañigo is the cheap bunkhouses of it's really cold - May could be either way and Anzañigo is well away from the snow zone in the Pyrenees. Plus if it's wet and miserable in the mountains we can always ride out to the Bardenas - and I'm looking at exploring some trails all the way there as the Bardena Blanca itself is only takes a couple of hours ride, including photo stops.

My off of riding rails to the meet is still on, only this tie it'll be riding along the Pyrenees - I know traila that you can ride loaded up from Temp at least as far as Castellón de Sos - After that it's either a big unknown - at least to me - trail west of Benasque or the brilliant A-1604 from Boltaña to the N-330 highway, and from there we have a choice of more trails to Anzañigo or a pretty lane there.

Plus, you guys from Madrid who are strapped for time can come right up as far as Huesca on the autovia, where you divert off though the Mallos de Riglos at Ayerbe. Not a brilliant start I know, but if tike is short . . .

Tell me what you think - meanwhile ¡Feliz Fiestas!

Regs

Simon
  13. tansinwalker

tansinwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

sounds good to me. If the weather is fine we can go north, if not, there are thousands of scenery roads around...

Regards
    Santi
  14. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi Santi, et al,

Now that the festivities are over - at last :lol3 - maybe we should begin to firm things up, especially as 'foreign' riders will have to thjnk about leave, ferrries, etc.

Santi, could you contact Camping Anzáñigo and see how much notice we might need to guarantee accommodation if we need it, etc.?

Cheers

Simon
  15. BushCaptain

BushCaptain Unbounded World

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone and thanks for the headup -The spanish biker.
    This sounds really fun, Im in... Anyone else coming along from the south?
    Im adding myself to the list.

/Andreas

Nick: Date - Location
    The Spanish Biker: 1-4 May - Teruel
    Tansinwalker: Any weekend - North East quarter
    Tim: Mid or late May - don't mind
    Sportakus: Long weekend - North East quarter
    Bushcaptain: 1 week in May - North east sounds fine
  16. tansinwalker

tansinwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, just a quick note to let you know I'm working on that. I'll have more feedback by the end of the week.
    Regards
  17. Abraxas

Abraxas The last one

Oddometer:
    I nearly missed this, it would be a pitty.

I will try my best to be there. I like the idea of Anzanigo, I try to go there at least once a year, as the atmosphere is great and so are the sourroundings.

But I do not mind if it is on any other place, I am from Madrid so not too far from every place in Spain. And I love to ride my GS.

Will follow this thread with interest.
  18. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Santi.

Nice one Abraxas

Regs

Simon
  19. tansinwalker

tansinwalker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I finally gathered the information about the anzanigo camping. They have a guzzi meeting on the weekend of 3 and 4 of May. All rooms are booked, but camping is possible.

They have an offer for 20 euros including, bike, tent space, breakfast and dinner. If someone wants a room for the night of 1st or 2nd of May they are available, but only camping for 3rd and 4th

What do you think?

Regards
  20. The Spanish Biker

Oddometer:
    Hi Santi,

Thanks for putting in the work!

Camping is fine by me - I was ready to do this anyway - and I guess anyone coming down from Britain will be used to the conditions - but you lot should note that it may be cold at night, so good insulation is your watchword :)

If the weather is very bad, i.e. raining all day, we can always take the train to Jaca and do interesting things like tour the cathedral, eat loads of tapas, visit the religious art museum, eat loads of tapas, tour the fortress, eat loads of tapas . . . yes, you get the drift, I was grounded by a terrible Cierzo wind once just down the road at Ayerbe so I just rode out the storm in Jaca :rofl

That €20 deal sound great - I've seen the food at Anzañigo and it's good - but once again, you Brits will need to be ready to wait until 9.00 pm to eat, but the bar will be open all day of course! :1drink

In any even I'll be bringing my own stove - can't face the day without a mug or two of tea - PG Tips, of course!

Do you think we'll have to reserve places for the camping deal?

Regs

Simon