UHF - Talk me into it?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GoneAgain, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Knackers

Knackers Ubique

Oddometer:
    I have a helmet cam video that I can't find on a previous computer that shows a rider down and out after an off. The video clearly shows me on my handheld UHF calling for help. I took my helmet off shortly so no more video. Help did come. Rider was concussed with a compound fracture of his femur and other bits and pieces.

That was Condo though. But I still carry one at all times when riding. Plus get on the web to work out what channels I should use for repeaters. And I have a 3dB antennae for my GME 6100 handheld to get better comms.

And as UHF is line of sight (LOS) with a handheld even with a pretty poor gain antennae you can always climb a hill to try to get a repeater in more populated/rural areas.

The helmet arrangement, speakers, Bluetooth is beyond me though.
  2. Knackers

Knackers Ubique

Oddometer:
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="426" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/512375555_TMFV5vq?width=640&height=426&albumId=28080342&albumKey=2XVMT3"></iframe>

Here it is. I even found his and used it as well
  3. TopDogDave

TopDogDave Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer:
    tried many UHF combos over the years but concede they're OK when stopped but pretty useless when mobile.

best combo is hand held 5 watter like unidens plus a satphone for serious back to base comms.

am ex HF military radio tech and even the mil stuff I tried adapting to bike helmet wasn't usable.

my 2C - get one but dun expect it to work like an intercom.

TD
  4. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience too. I still think it is my shortcomings behind it. But puzzled that I managed to quickly suss out bluetooth b2b comms. We use that now... with LOS & approx 500m range we get perfect b2b comms every time. UHF stays in the cupboard.