Airhead noob?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Kinsman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Need some guidance here.

I've never owned one before but I am getting the idea that I need an airhead. I'm looking for something that I can do highways & byways with my non-moto wife, so I am thinking 900 or 1000cc and RT rather than ST for the fairing. Need a comfy seat for the poor gal so we can ride more than 100 miles at a stretch.

What are the strengths/weaknesses of /6 vs /5 and do you think these are the bikes I should be looking at?

Just wondering what to look for and what to look out for; ease of maintenance and amount of it required (I do maintenence on my bikes now but I'm really not all that wrenchy...yet).

Kinsman
  2. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    I'd guess a r100rt would be a great bike for you. There are two versions the early double shock model and the later monoshock. The monoshock is quite modern bike, k bike front end, brembo brakes etc.

Not wanting to get into a seat thread here, there are lots of aftermarket seats and custom makers that will do exactly what you want or do it over.

Don't know if it was a second question or you are confused but there are no rt version of the /5-/6 etc. These are still wonderful bikes and a 75-76 r90/6 with an aftermarket fairing might be great also. The /5 is a wonderful machine probably the simpliest most straightforward airhead. In some ways a real old school bike, drum brakes etc. Probably not what I'd buy for alot of 2 up but would work in a pinch. A favorite of mine.

Unlike many modern bikes with a long interval between most routine maintenance, and often can't be done yourself. The airheads do require things like the oil changes and valve jobs are 3000 miles etc. Most of this work is very easy to learn and quite enjoyable.
  3. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    /6 man. The /6's have a disc brake, 5 speed and you can go up to a 900 cc; which is the min. for 2 up, IMO. I'd also look at the R100/7, which came out in 76. Certain models had dual disc brakes, desireable for 2 up. If you go with a R90/6, lookk for a 75 or 76, as these had improved switch gear over the 74's. I had a 76 R90/6 and put a Corbin seat on it- comfy for me. I'd look for either a /6, S or one of the /7 variants; 75-79 or 81-84. The 80's bikes had electronic ignition, which is a plus for some. I never had trouble with points, though. They also had better Brembo brakes vs. the ATE's on the 70's bikes. I'd also get one that already has bags.

[​IMG]
  4. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RT's began during the /7 era, so if you are after that fairing the 5's and 6's are out. I like the /5's a lot- but they have a drum front brake, 4 speed transmission, and an extra weak charging system. They are the first generation of this engine family, and lack the later refinements- but are still friendly and fun. The /6 gets you another gear and 900cc becomes an option. The charging system has a little more capacity, but is still too small.

I'd look for any year R100RT- They are easy bikes to maintain and are easy to cover long days on- and the fairing is fantastic at keeping you warm and dry. Any of the airheads can benefit from a charging system upgrade, but the later ones are (just) adequate if kept up.
    The wonderful thing about the airhead is it'll run and run and run- a well maintained one with 75K+ is nothing to shy away from. The RT was sort of a niche bike and most of the people who bought them took good care of them- you will want to make sure the charging system is up to par and that the transmission shifts smoothly without any whining or weird noises. Loose head bearings can lead to odd noises in the front, and if it has stock shocks they will need to go.

If you fall into a R100T, for example, and you really are lusting for an RT, there are often complete fairings to be had at relatively bargain prices here:

http://www.ibmwr.org/market/

Parts are easy to come by, they are reasonably peppy, and they posess a sort of 75 mph zen all their own.
  5. supercreep

supercreep _______________

Oddometer:
    i've got the whole rt fairing setup from a 1980 in very nice condition that i will sell cheap. go buy a nice r100 and pm me for the bodywork. :deal

airheads rule :clap
  6. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    of course any airhead is desirable, but to split hairs amongst the Enthusiasts: i much prefer a post-1980 model for the lighter clutch, the better (ball) throwout bearing, Brembos and yes, i like electronic ignition.

When i moved from my 77 R100RS to the 81 G/S it felt like i'd entered the modern era. Just those subtle inputs like smoother clutch and the improved shift cam/external linkage thing made for a more enjoyable ride to me. And i'm a confirmed monolever fan too.

But yah, you'll do alright with any R100RT, i'm just from the school of 'get as new as you can afford' for a daily driver/tourer

Enjoy!

MRP
  7. Paragon

Paragon Airhead Brit

Oddometer:
    as Mugwest said the Bikes of the 80's - e.g the monoshocks - R80 etc feel a lot "lighter" to ride and more appropriate on today's roads
  8. RocketJ

RocketJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone so far has offered very good advice. My.02 for what I understand you want is. Buy the newest, best condition, best maintained that you can find and afford. And you need to like it, too.
  9. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    Don't forget, late 80s paralever bikes handle like butter too.

Lighter is better.